Dropped Projects

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Snow Blossom
Veteran

Re: Dropped Projects

#121 Post by Snow Blossom »

DaFool wrote:I used to be that person in high school who would carry the burden of a group project because I was the only one who took it seriously -- so as a result I hated group projects.
THIS. Is me.

I agree that much of the time, people can be very draining and unhelpful, but sometimes, when you talk to them about your ideas, that can create more drive and inspiration as well. Like DaFool said, they can cheer you on by showing interest. Or they can provide helpful critique.
Wright1000 wrote: So, I think the best way (at least for beginners) is to work alone.
I don't mean completely alone. Having one or two other people is not a bad idea.
But, if you are a beginner, and on your first project, you start looking for artists, programmers, proofreaders, co-writers, colorists, editors and everything, I don't think your project will ever be completed.
I agree, working with a lot of people is more risky than doing it alone. When you work on a project by yourself, there's little to no pressure, you don't have to rely on anyone, and there's just more freedom.

Sorry for butting in, just my thoughts.
And sorry if I just lengthened the off-topicness... D:

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#122 Post by lordcloudx »

I can't believe no one has pointed this out yet, but I need to say it before it drives me crazy: No, there is no best way to create visual novels whether you're a beginner or if you consider yourself a perfushenal, an AAA publisher, an artiste, doesn't matter.

Everyone is different, thus, what works for you won't necessarily work for other people. This means that whether you're new to making VNs, or if it's your first BIG VN, the important thing is the capacity to actually make the VN. Some people work better alone, some people are team players or creative directors, other people need a few words of encouragement every now and then for motivation, some people find their inspiration from doing lots of erotic things with their special someone, some people are inspired by playing tetris, some people like playing other people's VNs and telling themselves how much they don't suck compared to the other guy -- and if it works for them, it works for them -- in short, follow the NIKE motto and "just do it."

End of rant.

Edit to add shameless self-promotion: Have you dropped a project lately? Do you find that there is no light at the end of the VN creation tunnel? Does your project seem destined to remain in development hell forever? Then take a step back and examine yourself. This might start to look familiar: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 11&t=11339
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

Wright1000
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Finding A Murderer, Memory Loss, Crime Investigation, Stay away from the graveyard, Last Day at School, Lonesome, Email, Hired Gun, Dusk, Hired Gun 2, Man-at-arms, Hired Gun 3, The Phantom Caller, Street Girl, Free love, The Story of Isabel Claudia

#123 Post by Wright1000 »

lordcloudx wrote:some people find their inspiration from doing lots of erotic things with their special someone
That's kind of perverted thinking.
He who doesn't care about the environment doesn't care about his grandchildren.