Voice acting

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
clannadman

Voice acting

#1 Post by clannadman »

This isn't a recruitment, just a general question. How many of you would engage in voice acting for VNs and how much range do you reckon a person requires to be considered a voice artist?

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

Re: Voice acting

#2 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

I wouldn't be game enough to voice act. I sound totally different from the way I imagine myself to sound and it freaks me out. I don't think I could control it enough.

As for range, I would presume they could just do one as long as they weren't really selling their skills. For people available for commission I think they either need to have a wide range or just be a very good voice actor. I think a voice actor that could do one voice really, really well, would still find work easily.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#3 Post by fleet »

My partner and I did voice acting for two scenes in one of my VN (each did one character, showing two emotions). It seemed to work out okay. The only comment on the voice acting was asking why I didn't have voice acting throughout the VN. The file size would have been way too large.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#4 Post by Taleweaver »

I would. People say I have a rather good voice on tape, so I guess that's an option. Also, I'm one the phone seven hours a day, so I have a lot of practice :)
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Kimiko
Regular

#5 Post by Kimiko »

I'm voice acting since… like two or three years? So yeah, I would! xD
Concerning range I think it really depends on the voice actor! ^^' I can't tell if he/she is good, if I don't have his/her demo tape to judge! D:
I'm going to smile like nothing's wrong. Talk like everything's perfect, act like it’s all a dream and pretend it's not hurting me.

Silvere
Veteran
Projects: Dimaen - A drug just for you

#6 Post by Silvere »

Taleweaver wrote:Also, I'm one the phone seven hours a day, so I have a lot of practice :)
Don´t tell me your from a callcenter? :/

( I actually also would voice-act, but I don´t think my voice is nice... So.. sorry. XD)

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#7 Post by Taleweaver »

Silvere wrote:Don´t tell me your from a callcenter? :/
I work in sales, which is _almost_ like being in a callcenter :)
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Tachyglossus
Regular
Projects: Sprite Art for: "Final Banquet", "365 Days"

#8 Post by Tachyglossus »

I would do it but I have a crappy mic and am too cheap to get decent mic/recording software.

People who have talked to me over VOIP sessions have told me I probably could voice act, but I actually don't think I could do it. I am more suited to banter. When it comes to reading lines or rehearsing a script, I overdo it or fall flat and lose my rhythm.

Chrizine
Regular
Projects: Perios - Chained Sorceress (WIP), Sword vs. Staff (WIP)
Organization: Motdl Productions

#9 Post by Chrizine »

I would really love to try voice acting, but I think my voice isn't that good and I probably have some really strange german accent ;-)
Take a look at Perios - Chained Sorceress!
And also on Sword vs. Staff, my short new project...
And, of course, our blog!
Honest Critique

Sexo Grammaticus
Regular
Projects: human instrumentality and vocals section

#10 Post by Sexo Grammaticus »

The problem I have with most of the people who think they're VAs is that they think 'being angry' and 'being sad' in the same voice constitutes different characters. It's alright that some people end up Hank Azarias and others end up Yeardley Smiths.

I haven't done much voice work, mostly for podcasts and audio notes and the like. It's fun but I know I don't have the range to really put things out for other people just yet.
i have no signature and i must obscure game reference

Counter Arts
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Fading Hearts, Infinite Game Works
Projects: Don't Save the World
Organization: Sakura River

#11 Post by Counter Arts »

I would like to do some voice acting for fun. I don't know if I would have the time though.
Fading Hearts is RELEASED
http://www.sakurariver.ca

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope
Projects: Rising Angels
Organization: IDHAS Studios
IRC Nick: Komi
itch: idhas

#12 Post by KomiTsuku »

I'm just going to throw out a tip I got from a couple conversations I had with Chris Ayres. Practicing being a regular actor before you move into voice acting. Getting your practice there will help you out big time in the long run.

As for me, I keep my acting to the workplace and my memories of when I was an actor. Faking happiness, pouts, and all that other jazz... I wouldn't want to do it full time. Too much precision, not enough job satisfaction.

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#13 Post by OtomeWeekend »

i've dreamed of voice acting but my voice is not good enough... haha. Well, my friends told me its okay cause i'm still growing up and my voice is still undergoing puberty(god, forgive me if my english is weird). Well, since i found out about becoming an illustrator, I completely gave up on voice acting even though it was one of the reasons why i lived in japan.
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

EternalDream
Veteran
Completed: Secret Santa
Projects: Memory Lane

#14 Post by EternalDream »

Uhhh I wouldn't. Because I'm bad at acting overall whether it's acting acting, or voice acting... because I'm a total monotone freak when it's comes to things like this :D I guess it comes with the fact that I can't put myself in other people's shoes and express their feelings very well... =v=;;

Tachyglossus
Regular
Projects: Sprite Art for: "Final Banquet", "365 Days"

#15 Post by Tachyglossus »

Although now I am curious to hear most of your voices, whether you think you have a good voice or talent or not. So, whose got mics?

And learning to act before voice acting makes a lot of sense. Voice acting is more abstract than regular stage or film acting. It is sort of like learning proper anatomy before stylizing your art.