Midi or MP3?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
ciel
Regular

Midi or MP3?

#1 Post by ciel »

Well, I'm "borrowing" songs from the game called White Album (Leaf.. which i'll specifically refer to in the end of the game so people will know where the song is from)

Just wondering, would you prefer midi or MP3 versions of the song? I have both versions (mp3 from original game, midi from downloading) I wanted to use midi so the game zip wouldn't be monstrously huge but should I sacrifice good quality music for file size?

So in your opinion, would you prefer good quality music or midi music to save file size?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#2 Post by PyTom »

I will warn you that the if you use copyrighted material in your game, without permission, we won't allow it in the Ren'Ai archives, for copyright reasons.

That being said, ogg vorbis is probably the preferred format, unless you really want to minimize download size.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

RedSlash
Veteran

#3 Post by RedSlash »

MP3!!! I believe most people have the bandwidth to download large files these days.

Quin
Regular

#4 Post by Quin »

Ogg. Definitely Ogg... unless you are (or can recruit) a person who is exceptionally skilled at composing their own original works in MIDI. If the original work is in MIDI format, there's no reason to convert it to Ogg (unless there's some technical issue with MIDI in Ren'Py that I'm not aware of -- I haven't used MIDI yet). And if the original work is in MOD format (which I'll be using for some audio in my upcoming game), Ren'Py has MOD support, and filesize will definitely be smaller for longer pieces of audio.

But if you're working from anything other than original MIDI or MOD compositions, go with Ogg. And if you can't live with Ogg, MP3 is an acceptable substitute, although the files are generally bigger. (Edit: If the best source you have of your audio is MP3, you may have to weigh whether the quality you may lose by converting the file is worth the smaller filesize.)

I'll echo PyTom's copyright concern, and add that inclusion in the archive could definitely be the least of your worries if you use copyrighted music without permission. All it takes is one person recognizing the source to potentially trigger a legal nightmare.

In the end, it's probably cheaper to hire a musician than a lawyer. ^_^;

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: GO! Magical Boy (2006), Angelic Orbs (soundtrack)
Projects: Cyberlin (in progress)

#5 Post by Alessio »

Let me say it this way: Unless your game is complete garbage (which we all hope it is not - the graphics look gorgeous), it'd be a real pity to make distribution impossible by illegally using copyrighted material. Since you can find wagonloads of good and freely usable music on the www (and even for non-freely useable tunes, many authors would gladly grant you permission to use them in a specific project) there is no reason to illegally copy music from a commercial game.

Edit: I guess copying music from somewhere could be a good idea as a starting point, if you want to see if the game works that way, and to determine what kind of music it needs. Afterwards you could then replace the music.

ciel
Regular

#6 Post by ciel »

I am looking for song creaters at this moment but i need somekind of bg so i can see how it would feel etc. If i can't, however, i guess i would have to stick with White Album soundtracks. I really don't want to, but if i find it impossible.. what can i do..@.@ I do have some songs i have composed myself but i don't have anything good to record it with.

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

There are several websites on the internet that have royalty free music available for free download

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Alessio »

It's also worth checking MP3 sites for unsigned artists, and asking some musician/artist if they'd mind you using their music. Also, feel free to ask here in this forum, I'm sure we have quite a few people willing to compose music for you (or to record it with appropriate equipment if you even have some own songs, like you said).

cielle not login in

#9 Post by cielle not login in »

I think i have a break through *.* WOOT I'll get back to you guys!

F.I.A
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Winter Shard, EVE, Hyperion

#10 Post by F.I.A »

PyTom wrote:I will warn you that the if you use copyrighted material in your game, without permission, we won't allow it in the Ren'Ai archives, for copyright reasons.
Now I am wondering if it works when I state in the game mutliple times(In readme.txt, roll credits and such) that the musics belong to their respectable owners and not my work in any way?

Or also when I keeps the musics uncompressed so the gamers are free to exclude them while playing? Since I already got the "mood musics" selected(And mainly because I am not and know no music composer), it might be tough with the sudden change.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#11 Post by PyTom »

The rule for the archives (and for forum attachments as well) is that posted games should not include copyrighted work without permission from the copyright owner. (Simply crediting someone, or disclaiming ownership, is not the same thing as getting permission.)

At least, that's the current rule. I'm beginning to think that the DMCA safe-harbor provision, coupled with the general acceptance of fan-fiction and other fan works, may lead to me relaxing it.

That being said, I think there's a difference between making a (say) zelda fan-work, and using the music from zelda in a completely unrelated game. I'm disinclined to allow games that borrow music from unrelated works without permission into the archive.

F.I.A
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Winter Shard, EVE, Hyperion

#12 Post by F.I.A »

PyTom wrote:The rule for the archives (and for forum attachments as well) is that posted games should not include copyrighted work without permission from the copyright owner. (Simply crediting someone, or disclaiming ownership, is not the same thing as getting permission.)

At least, that's the current rule. I'm beginning to think that the DMCA safe-harbor provision, coupled with the general acceptance of fan-fiction and other fan works, may lead to me relaxing it.

That being said, I think there's a difference between making a (say) zelda fan-work, and using the music from zelda in a completely unrelated game. I'm disinclined to allow games that borrow music from unrelated works without permission into the archive.
Good point. I guess it won't hurt to prepare also a non-music version of the game when the job's done.

MalkMad

#13 Post by MalkMad »

And about new arranjed versions of copyrighted music?
Just like Apocalyptica did with Metallica musics

I think to use orchestral versions of metal/rock well-know music
(God save the Guitar-Pro!)

That's allowed?
"He was born with the gift of a laughter and a sense that the world was mad."

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran

#14 Post by Alessio »

MalkMad wrote:And about new arranjed versions of copyrighted music?
Just like Apocalyptica did with Metallica musics
That's still a copyright violation. I'm not following heavy metal, but I would assume Apocalyptica paid $$$ to be allowed to use Metallica's songs.

MalkMad

#15 Post by MalkMad »

Not really

Musician are allowed to make covers and versions of anothers musicians
Or Thy Disease (death metal) would never play Frozen, a Madonna's music.

Covers and Versions aren't considered plagios.
Since I keep the name, notes, etc...

hm
I hav no problems with public domain musics, right?
So I can play Chopin in a guitar and put that in the game, or not?
"He was born with the gift of a laughter and a sense that the world was mad."