Basic Tips for a Newbie

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
A-413

Basic Tips for a Newbie

#1 Post by A-413 »

Hi, I'm new here (obviously)
but I'm also really new to visual novels.
The closest thing I've played to a visual novel are some console games like Shin Megami Tensei Persona 3FES, portable, 4, etc.
and some other console games like atelier rorona, etc. with similar mechanics.

( *cough* Persona 3 Portable and Atelier Rorona make great otome games. *cough* )

and the only official otome game i've ever played on the pc was
"Yo-Jin-Bo" which was a lot of fun.

So, like, my point is. I still feel really "new" to this world. But it's very interesting and I wanna try making my own. Only problem is, I don't know where or how to start.

The software I have: adobe photoshop, flash builder, flash catalyst, SAI, and ren'py.

i would like to make use of all of these. though i know you can use ren'py on its own to make games if you have the artwork done and all, i also read in tutorials and such that you can do certain things using adobe flash as well to help in building the content for the game. but does flash and ren'py mesh well together? @-@

any advice or tips you can give to someone like me who's just starting out will be most thankfully accepted please. ^^

and i've also been watching this place for sometime behind the scenes and lots of the members are really motivating and kind. so if you would like to be buddies and get to know each other, here's my deviantart: http://a-413.deviantart.com
and you can also add me to friends here if that function is available. +v+

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

Re: Basic Tips for a Newbie

#2 Post by Camille »

Welcome! I think the best way to learn how to use Ren'Py is to read the Quickstart and then go through the tutorial that's included with your Ren'Py download. With SAI, Photoshop, and the jEdit program also included with Ren'Py, you should be pretty set to make your own visual novel. Unfortunately, Ren'Py does not currently support flash files, but I think the engine is powerful enough to do most anything you need it to do, VN-wise, on its own without flash.

If you ever have questions, feel free to ask on the forums. We're a pretty friendly bunch, I think. My personal idea is that the key to success with Ren'Py is a mix of A) being very patient and reading everything, as well as B) lots of trial and error. (actually I guess this is true for many things) The best way to learn is to try all the coding and whatnot for yourself so you can see what works and what doesn't.

I hope you can make your own first VN soon! (: Good luck.

A-413

#3 Post by A-413 »

thanks so much for the tips. +3+
and i see, flash doesnt go well with ren'py afterall.
but it does have a lot to offer already, so i'll just try to work with it.
i'll do my best then. ^v^)7 thanks again

HotLimit
Regular

#4 Post by HotLimit »

Flash? Jeeze, am I the only one who just loops a series of jpegs for my animations, hahaah?

Sexo Grammaticus
Regular
Projects: human instrumentality and vocals section

#5 Post by Sexo Grammaticus »

HotLimit wrote:Flash? Jeeze, am I the only one who just loops a series of jpegs for my animations, hahaah?
Probably, because that's Not A Very Good Way To Do It™ at all. You're basically doing extremely slow, uncompressed video with none of the real advantages that using an actual video brings. It'll probably be fine for a few frames but anything in the double digits and it'll be a nightmare.
i have no signature and i must obscure game reference

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#6 Post by azureXtwilight »

Also try a few otome or GXB games we offer HERE! (*cough*fantasia?*cough*) So you can get a good view of what Renpy can do~ :D

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope
Projects: Rising Angels
Organization: IDHAS Studios
IRC Nick: Komi
itch: idhas

#7 Post by KomiTsuku »

azureXtwilight wrote:Also try a few otome or GXB games we offer HERE! (*cough*fantasia?*cough*) So you can get a good view of what Renpy can do~ :D
We have and can make more than just those. :cry: I'm really feeling like a dying breed around here. But the concept of looking at other games to see what you can stea... adapt to your own interface and design is always a good idea. Mugen's work was how I first learned imagemaps.