How to handle the plot of literature-based games?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
hugolino
Regular
Projects: Being Thursday

How to handle the plot of literature-based games?

#1 Post by hugolino »

I am considering making a game based on the classic thriller "The Man Who Was Thursday" by British author G.K. Chesterton. The story is in public domain, so that is not an issue. But I wonder how close to the original plot I should stay? On one hand, the original is considered a classic, but on the other hand I don't think it is well-known in the U.S. anymore. My tentative idea was to keep the original plot but add variant solutions/paths to it.

What do you think of literature-based games? Are they doomed -- like games tied into movies -- to disappoint by simply re-enacting the story? Or is that less of an issue with lesser known works? What makes a game adaptation work, in your opinion?

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

Re: How to handle the plot of literature-based games?

#2 Post by Taleweaver »

1) Two words
Kinetic novel. If you do it well, it's probably the best way of staying close to the original material.

2) The long answer
Try to make the choices into classic "what-ifs" - approach your project the same way you would approach a fan-fiction. What if X had decided not to show up for the date with Y? What if A had trusted B at a certain point. Spin the story to its logical ends starting from these "what ifs", and never forget that some of the choices may lead the story to "re-branch" with its original plot. Think up a few alternative endings, then connect each to a series of choices. That should work.
Last edited by Taleweaver on Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

hugolino
Regular

#3 Post by hugolino »

Taleweaver wrote:1) Two wordsKinetic novel. If you do it well, it's probably the best way of staying close to the original material.

2) The long answer
Try to make the choices into classic "what-ifs" - approach your project the same way you would approach a fan-fiction... Spin the story to its logical ends starting from these "what ifs", and never forget that some of the choices may lead the story to "re-branch" with its original plot. Think up a few alternative endings, then connect each to a series of choices. That should work.
I was definitely thinking of the second approach. Would it be considered appropriate to interweave the original writing with my own then? Or is it better to not do that?

retrozombi
Projects: Outrageous Fortune

#4 Post by retrozombi »

I'm doing much the same thing, adapting a public domain work into a VN. My plan is to have one path follow the original story from beginning to end. The key is that it's only one path. As the story is very much driven by the actions of the MC, there's a lot of opportunity to allow the player to take very different actions that will alter the course of the narrative. As described in option 2 above, the divergence will largely spring from playing "what if" with choices that the MC made in the original work. There'll be a badge for choosing the "correct" course, but the point of the VN will be to have fun avoiding that path.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#5 Post by Taleweaver »

hugolino wrote:I was definitely thinking of the second approach. Would it be considered appropriate to interweave the original writing with my own then? Or is it better to not do that?
You have pretty much no choice but to interweave your writing with the original. Depending on whether you want to crack the fourth wall or not, you may want characters to react surprised when the plot branches away from the original, but you need to work with both the original writing and your own creativity. Of course, you should try to pick up the language of the original work as much as possible so that the "breaks" between what you wrote and what the original author wrote isn't painfully obvious, but don't be afraid to change the plot as much as you like.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

number473
Regular
Projects: The Duke's Daughter

#6 Post by number473 »

In my opinion, it's a waste of your time and creativity to recreate a work that was done previously. It can be very alluring to do an adaption of one of your favorites (i've almost been tempted to do it myself before) but regardless of how good you think it'll turn out, the original is the only real original.

Well, I'm the sort that doesn't like adaptions at all: I don't watch movie adaptions of books and don't even like to watch anime that are based on manga.

If you're going to put in the creative effort and are a decent writer, my argument is: why don't you just work in your own story? I think you'll create something more memorable for yourself and your readers.

I'll apologize ahead of time if this is off topic, but I felt this needed to be said.
Mental weather report: Cloudy with a possibility of brain storms.

retrozombi
Projects: Outrageous Fortune

#7 Post by retrozombi »

Nothing's a waste of time if you enjoy doing it.

armornick
Regular

#8 Post by armornick »

I'm both with Taleweaver and number373 on this. On one hand, it's nice to show people what you think would have happened if the protagonist did X or Y instead of Z, you can't just copy-paste the original story. Do your own view on it, at least. You'll never have the same thing in mind as the writer when s/he was writing it. Secondly, not only is an exact clone copyright infringement, it's also boring for anyone who has read the original story.

In summary, make an original story heavily based on the novel in question.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#9 Post by fleet »

Do what you want to do. Some people will like it, some will not.
Don't let nay-sayers discourage you from making your VN.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions

#10 Post by Greeny »

number473 wrote:don't even like to watch anime that are based on manga.
So basically you don't like anime at all then? :P
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter

hugolino
Regular

#11 Post by hugolino »

I appreciate the variety of opinions in response to my question. I will think on my idea a bit more before getting heavily invested in it.

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions

#12 Post by Greeny »

The real problem you're facing is that the original writer probably had thought really long about the story and had some pretty good reasons to make the story go the way it did; so you should think thrice before you change the story.

- What underlying message did the original try to get across?
- What theme did the original operate within?
- Will altering a certain aspect harm the meaningfulness of the story?
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter

Avaible
Regular

#13 Post by Avaible »

Greeny wrote:
number473 wrote:don't even like to watch anime that are based on manga.
So basically you don't like anime at all then? :P
Read again, only anime based on manga. That's not the majority, and by far not all.

To the topic at hand, if you really are going to tell a told story again I would advise you to add your own charm to it. Original is fine and all, but if one wants to read the original one can just go and read the original. Well, I mean, it doesn't matter where your ideas and inspiration comes from, even if it's taking a whole work, but it's only your story if you make it yours and that means adding your flavour to it. Since you're a writer I bet somewhere you do want to write your own story, thus it's fine to find a new meaning in the work the original autor hadn't intended to show.
In short, it's fine to use an already existing work, just like learning a poem and reciting it slightly changed or even with self-thought additions.

Hayzel
Veteran
Projects: Echo: Legend of the Centennial Bells, The Making of a Visual Novel, MLPFIM: The Flower Blooming Festival

#14 Post by Hayzel »

If you are going to do this make sure the original version is the "good" ending. That way you can keep the integrity and vision the original author had.....this makes me want to see a 1984 with various endings.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#15 Post by papillon »

If you are going to do this make sure the original version is the "good" ending. That way you can keep the integrity and vision the original author had...
At that point, though, why make multiple endings at all? If you want to stay true to the original, don't add branches.