How to handle the plot of literature-based games?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Hayzel
Veteran
Projects: Echo: Legend of the Centennial Bells, The Making of a Visual Novel, MLPFIM: The Flower Blooming Festival

Re: How to handle the plot of literature-based games?

#16 Post by Hayzel »

papillon wrote:
If you are going to do this make sure the original version is the "good" ending. That way you can keep the integrity and vision the original author had...
At that point, though, why make multiple endings at all? If you want to stay true to the original, don't add branches.
Maybe I should say Cannon ending then.

number473
Regular
Projects: The Duke's Daughter

#17 Post by number473 »

Hayzel wrote:That way you can keep the integrity and vision the original author had.....this makes me want to see a 1984 with various endings.
There is a contradiction in what you are saying, how do you propose to maintain the intentions of the original author if you change the ending?

My point is (and I feel quite strongly on this subject) the story was created originally and the author put his effort into creating it with some message, intention or story that he wanted to convey. In my opinion, it is not right for someone to hijack and pervert (I use the word with the meaning of to misuse or misrepresent) someone else's work, whether it is intentional or not. I used to think it would be possible to do a successful adaption, but I am not convinced any more. In every case I have observed the original is better.
Mental weather report: Cloudy with a possibility of brain storms.

retrozombi
Projects: Outrageous Fortune

#18 Post by retrozombi »

I think there's value in adaptation. A familiar story may be used to create something that works as its own thing while also commenting on the original. The movies "The Thing From Outer Space" and "The Thing" are both masterpieces that reflect the fears of their times, and they are based on the same story. None is lessened or corrupted by the presence of the others, but they work in different ways to make similar but divergent points.

As for including the complete original story as a path, why not? Personally, I'd put it in my own words rather than try to make my own material read like the original, but with appropriate attribution there's no dishonesty and no harm to the original work. It strikes me as stranger to not allow the player to follow the original plot if they so choose.

Hayzel
Veteran
Projects: Echo: Legend of the Centennial Bells, The Making of a Visual Novel, MLPFIM: The Flower Blooming Festival

#19 Post by Hayzel »

number473 wrote:
Hayzel wrote:That way you can keep the integrity and vision the original author had.....this makes me want to see a 1984 with various endings.
There is a contradiction in what you are saying, how do you propose to maintain the intentions of the original author if you change the ending?
It's not. He can keep the intentions of the author by making it clear which path is the true to the story. If he does the game well it could end up being really well done. I find it takes a highly talented to get inside another person's character and represent them well.