Hirameki's American VN

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

Hirameki's American VN

#1 Post by mikey »

I got this from visualnews.net - Hirameki wants to develop an original American VN.

http://community.hirameki-int.com/modul ... blog_id=58
"Finally, as Hirameki approaches its five-year anniversary, we're setting our sights on an all-new product: a collaborative effort from the many fans of visual novels on our community site. We want to turn a new page in bishoujo game history and help create an American visual novel, made for and by Americans! We'll post more details in a little while, but until then, we'll leave you scratching your heads and trying to figure out just what our secret plan is."

Time to scratch heads... :)

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#2 Post by rioka »

Hmmm... interesting! If I'd known this earlier, I would've asked them about it when I was at AnimeNEXT this past weekend. (I got free Hirameki fans from them. ^_^ )

From the sounds of it, it's like the fans at the forum will have a say on what will and will not be in the game... Hmmm... :ponders their annoucement:

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: GO! Magical Boy (2006), Angelic Orbs (soundtrack)
Projects: Cyberlin (in progress)

Re: Hirameki's American VN

#3 Post by Alessio »

mikey wrote:made for and by Americans
Seems that rules out the rest of the world then...

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Hirameki's American VN

#4 Post by mikey »

Alessio wrote:Seems that rules out the rest of the world then...
Well, my interpretation was that it means Western in a wider sense. I suppose "help create" may also mean some kind of support - Peachsoft IIRC had some cooperation plans with G-Collections at one time before they disappeared.

There are a few alternatives for producing an original Western VN. In this announcement the logical worry is that the result may be very generic. So I just hope the main aim isn't really publicity. And I wonder whether that VN will be free.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by monele »

mikey wrote:And I wonder whether that VN will be free
Wow, now *that* would be surprising :P. No really, I'm also more concerned about the quality and originality of the end product.
(and they should take a look at what the community has already done... not waste resources into some uninspired game...)

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#6 Post by papillon »

Hrm. This suggests it might be worth contacting them when Fatal Hearts runs near completion. They'll probably still dismiss me as too small, but... PP gave a flat 'no' to anything not originally Japanese.

FH is clearly not Japanese - with the exception of one character's middle name, nobody has Japanese names, I'm not trying to emulate a foreign setting, they are pretty clearly American high school students. At the same time, I'm definitely *not* doing what a lot of western-made "aimed at teen girl" games try... I'm not layering on vast amounts of 'hip' slang that will make me sound utterly ridiculous. :) You know we're contemporary because mobile phones feature in the plot, but there aren't any Britney Spears jokes or anything.

Must not get ahead of myself! :) Back to storyboarding...

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by mikey »

monele wrote:(and they should take a look at what the community has already done... not waste resources into some uninspired game...)
My observation is that the other communities don't really mention this one. It may be a different philosophy and all, plus the fact remains that there is no full-length fan produced VN done, so... I think like they mentioned, they will be targetting fans from their community rather than this one once they bring life to the project. This is not to say that the communities don't overlap.

RedSlash
Veteran

#8 Post by RedSlash »

Sounds interesting, but I wonder what they meant by turning a page in history as it doesn't seem any different from what everyone else is doing here.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by monele »

That's what I'm scared of : they might think they're doing something new ^^;

Jinnai
Regular

#10 Post by Jinnai »

Fear of the unknown?

It sounds interesting, but as has been said already it could turn out not so good as various factions of players try to compete for what they'd like to see.

However, this is good news as well. It means they're confident enough to take a risk on something that could flop. I think what they mean about turning a new page, ie commerically viable western anime-ish VNs.

Second good news i've heard this week on the VN front. The other....

.....well the other could be related to Hirameki as well. They are translating a famous anime VN.

And brocolli's president has been trying for some time to get someone to release their Galaxy Angel titles and they recently said they have found someone code-name "Company C"
Link here
[url=ttp://www.bro-usa.com/forums/]Broccoli's Forums[/url]
SpaceDrake Says:
> Heh, speaking of Galaxy Angel…
> it’d be nice to have some news about the upcoming
> Galaxy Angel game release. Quite a few of us are
> looking forward to it. ;)

We get this via email a lot too.
So here’s what I heard from the folks in the Broccoli Japan office.

Company O still plans on releasing Galaxy Angel, but since there’s a lot of text, they’re looking for a production house that can translate the game.

I haven’t played the game (just saw the opening which Mari Iijima soundtrack), so I don’t know how much text there is. But these type of adventure games have a lot of text, I s’pose.

Of course the Galaxy Angel II game was delayed in Japan too, so that’s how it goes for Galaxy Angel.

We’d like to know how many people out there are looking forward to seeing Galaxy Angel video game being released in the US.

President Kaname has a dream of bringing more of these otaku games to the US (he has lots of friends in the moe business). He’d take a poll if he could.

So… even though we have yet to clean up the new Broccoli forum, maybe you guys can give us your input there.
)'.'(
Power of Sqyishyness!!