Using Ren'py to make art tutorials

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Fawn
Moe Imouto

Using Ren'py to make art tutorials

#1 Post by Fawn »

So, I've been meaning to make some beginner's tutorials for people in the skill development forum (since new artists often have a lot of questions), and I've been pondering the idea of making ren'py "games" for them instead of long step-by-step pictures or videos.

It would be a lot like the ren'py tutorial that comes with the program, but instead have screenshots of the program or a drawing process. There would be a long menu of topics to choose from in ascending order from basics to more complex ideas. Also there would be a sprite of a "guide" (like Eileen) that you can interact with, just for good measure ;) The tutorial would be made of screenshots with text that describes actions being taken/gives tips.

The first "game" I'd like to make would be an introduction to Paint Tool sai. I'm not a very good artist, but I've worked with sai for a long time so I know enough about it to help introduce it to new artists. It would just go over the tools and some basic drawing.

What do you think of this kind of tutorial system for art? Do you think it would work?

0ion9
Regular

Re: Using Ren'py to make art tutorials

#2 Post by 0ion9 »

YES.
(I've been thinking about this myself, in the context of tweaking brushes as you paint, in MyPaint. It seems a near-ideal tutorial format, IMO)

redcat
Regular

#3 Post by redcat »

@Moe_Imouto--> Yes, that would be very helpful for new artists (or artist wannabe).
You could make it even more interesting by adding some kind of gameplay or story in it (so that people who are not into art can enjoy it too).
Or better yet, make a story about a mangaka/artist wannabe and have the tutorial as the puzzle/mystery part. I'll definitely play it!! :)
Meowwngg...??

YonYonYon
Veteran
Projects: Nightflower(Frozen), Reach the Starlight(WIP)

#4 Post by YonYonYon »

It's ok. I wanted to use Ren'Py for character reference sheet
ImageImage

Lotus
Veteran
Projects: Unnamed Slenderman VN, Secret 10560

#5 Post by Lotus »

I've been using Ren'py to make games to help me study for school xD The process of writing all of it down helps embed it in my brain, and after I'm done making the game I play it through for further studying. Once I'm done with my course I might tighten up the games I made and distribute them for others in my class.

This is one of the cool things about Ren'py, so long as you have an idea you can do almost whatever you want with it.

So yes, I think art tutorial games would be really neat.

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by SusanTheCat »

What an awesome idea!
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#7 Post by Fawn »

@ Lotus: That is an awesome idea, it's like a virtual quiz, right? So you write in the answers and then you can use them to study! If you're in college, you should share them with your classmates.... maybe you could even sell copies of them for a little cash ;)

@redcat: Well, how about something like this- you'll be given a quiz over the tools, and every question you get right will reveal more of a CG- Like one question answered correctly would give you the lineart, another will give you the base colors, then the shading on different parts, and finally the background. Then maybe a scenario with the cg will be given at the end!

Zocha
Projects: Magiflyte (GxB, fantasy), Creatopia

#8 Post by Zocha »

Woah, I've been thinking of making a game with the exact same idea. Haha, I won't blame you for "copying" my idea or anything, since there's bound to be people who have similar ideas. But anyway, I wanted to make a game that teaches how to draw general anime-style characters rather than to focus on a single topic like yours. I think it's a great idea and you should go with it since a large portion of the people in this community inspire to be visual novel creators too, and many would appreciate a tutorial sort of game.