Question About Videos

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
RemnantDream
Veteran
Projects: Pickles and Strawberries

Question About Videos

#1 Post by RemnantDream »

For those of you that have made your own OPs, what software did you use to make them? I used to make videos all the times on WMM but I think I need something a little..better than that. I've tried to find some but I don't know which one to choose. I also need to know how much money I need to start saving up to get something like this xP

Efreet
Regular
Projects: Denial, Guilt [On Hold]

Re: Question About Videos

#2 Post by Efreet »

I have yet to make an OP, but I work with with similar media. Most of the films I edit and put together are either in Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 or in Final Cut Pro, but I don't actually own these and they might seem a tad bit extreme for your needs (not to mention it would cost a lot).

If you want something better than what you're using now, it depends on what you need/want it to do and how much you can put towards it. Here's a guide to the most current consumer video editors out there so that you have a few options, look at what you need it to do and what's in your budget.

Zocha
Projects: Magiflyte (GxB, fantasy), Creatopia

#3 Post by Zocha »

I've been considering making a video for my game too, but haven't started on one yet.

A couple of my friends who make anime AMVs use a program called Sony Vegas. I've heard good things about this program, and the video editing features are very professional; however, the pricing is a bit high.

0ion9
Regular

#4 Post by 0ion9 »

Does OP mean OPening credits?
There's a few opensource video studio suites, like Cinelerra and kdenlive, which seem very capable. Avidemux is useful for more modest work (just some simple crossfades, dubbing etc). I haven't tried openshot, openmovieeditor, auteur, freej, lives, lombard, vivia or pitivi. Haven't tried jahshaka either, heard good things about it though.

Some decent audio editing software doesn't go amiss either -- I recommend Audacity.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#5 Post by Taleweaver »

The opening for my current project ADRIFT was entirely done in Ren'Py. It has all the video effects you'll need, so why use any external software at all?
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#6 Post by azureXtwilight »

I used sony vegas for ROA's OP. Planned to make the same for doppelganger...

In Indonesia I got it about 30.000 rupiahs or something, but because in our nation computers and CDs are actually cheap so... Yeah.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#7 Post by LVUER »

No, you're wrong, Azure (>x<) It's not that because software is cheap in our country... but it because of the piracy... (ashamed but can't do a thing). If you want to buy the "real"/genuine one, it's still (insert F word)-ing expensive. More so since Indonesia currency is rather weak.

Hardware-wise though, they're all genuine... so they are expensive. But they're always the cheaper alternative to everything (like choosing Acer over Toshiba, or choosing low-end brand rather than high-end ones).
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#8 Post by azureXtwilight »

I know! That's why every software can be bought cheap! But I won't tell that because that'll be embarrassing, no? XD

redcat
Regular

#9 Post by redcat »

Taleweaver wrote:The opening for my current project ADRIFT was entirely done in Ren'Py. It has all the video effects you'll need, so why use any external software at all?
Sometimes we need to use the OP for promotion, to put it on youtube or something. That's where the video editing software will be needed.

Azure wrote:In Indonesia I got it about 30.000 rupiahs or something
@Azure--> You can also get the expensive Adobe software with only 20.000 rupiahs, if you know where you can buy it. You can even get it "free" from the internet if you know where to download it. But if you're really aware of using original content in your game, maybe you could also start using free/open-source software instead of pirated one.
Meowwngg...??

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#10 Post by LVUER »

Uummm, I'm from Indonesia, so I know very well the condition there. But still, please don't talk about piracy here unless it's absolutely necessary. It's a sensitive issue, especially considering that most/some of use are game maker (some even professional one).
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#11 Post by sake-bento »

I use Anime Studio Pro. Although it's main purpose is to animate, it has a lot of good motion and blending effects for pre-existing images. It's also much less expensive than other software with the same capability.

Chu-3
Veteran
Completed: CAFE 0~The Drowned Mermaid~,duplicity~Beyond the Lies~, East Tower Series,How to Take Off Your Mask,CAFE 0 ~The Sleeping Beast~, How to Fool a Liar King
Projects: How to Fool a Liar King
Organization: roseVeRte
Tumblr: roseverte
itch: roseverte

#12 Post by Chu-3 »

Hmm I didn't make my OP video myself, but the staff who made it told me that she use Adobe After Effect for it. She's working in a web tv now, and seems the product is part of her school material. Well we did many fix from the first story board though.

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#13 Post by Fawn »

Taleweaver wrote:The opening for my current project ADRIFT was entirely done in Ren'Py. It has all the video effects you'll need, so why use any external software at all?
The problem with that is putting it on YouTube or any other video site for publicity... As I see it, most op's are used for publicity. It's kind of weird for me to actually experience the OP in the game hahah!

clannadman

#14 Post by clannadman »

Corel VideoStudio 12

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

#15 Post by teacup »

I used Vegas Movie Studio 9.0 to make the opening of my VN. It was $90 at the time I bought it, its probably even cheaper now considering a new version has already come out. I would recommend it - it satisfies all of my video-making needs. :D