Epicness...

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Kei

Epicness...

#1 Post by Kei »

You know, I was wondering.. what truly makes a novel memorable? (Minus the art/music/visual elements)

The common answers would be interesting characters, a unique plot that people enjoy... but how can a new writer turn an ordinary piece of work into such epic-ness? How can I know if the story is too boring? Or dry even? Any writing tips for a new writer like me? It's kind of intimidating (at least for me), when you see many excellent works in here, and the story you're writing isn't very er.... dramatic =X

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

Re: Epicness...

#2 Post by Camille »

I think even a simple story can be good as long as it's written well? There's no real formula for "epicness", so. D: If you like it, chances are someone else will, so try and make yourself happy with your work first and foremost.

Efreet
Regular
Projects: Denial, Guilt [On Hold]

#3 Post by Efreet »

What truly makes a novel memorable? Well you kinda removed two of those elements that could possibly make a visual novel "epic"... =P This is something that everyone is trying to do one way or another, anyone can write a story but to write an exceptional story is a different matter.

You could always look at the "dramatic structure" to writing stories. Then as to what to write, well try to think outside the box - what has been overdone and what could you subvert. If you come up with an idea exhaust it, write the synopsis, write character bios, plan out a structure and be prepared to change it all.

Most important thing of all, try and have fun thinking of and writing new stories.

Hayzel
Veteran
Projects: Echo: Legend of the Centennial Bells, The Making of a Visual Novel, MLPFIM: The Flower Blooming Festival

#4 Post by Hayzel »

Well, to give more of a direct answer. Characters are what make any story memorable to me. I respond to stories that have characters that I can empathize with, as well as characters I can grow with or learn from.

xelacroix
Regular
Projects: beautiful girls

#5 Post by xelacroix »

write something that u have passions on it. then the readers will feel ur passions

Veniae
Veteran

#6 Post by Veniae »

I believe it's the character development and story itself. I mean, the player should be able to relate to the characters and understand them and their decisions, the story must be believable and consequences must flow logically from your actions. Also, it's a good idea to think your plot/setting/etc. through, so that you won't have any plot holes (or you might fall through! xD).

Also, the players/readers must see that you've enjoyed creating the novel, when it's apparent that it's been nothing but a chore for you, they won't be too thrilled about it either.

ririruetoo
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: May-chan, The Country with no People, Him&Me

#7 Post by ririruetoo »

I think a story where you actually FEEL for the characters and CARE for them is a good place to start. To make a story epic, I think you have to believe in your story and characters ( don't think of it as just a made-up story, don't think of your characters as just things written on a page) you have to write like you actually SEE what your writing, you have to write like you've been to this place and met these people.....At least that's what I think. (^_^)
ImageImageImage

Kei

#8 Post by Kei »

I think a story where you actually FEEL for the characters and CARE for them is a good place to start. To make a story epic, I think you have to believe in your story and characters ( don't think of it as just a made-up story, don't think of your characters as just things written on a page) you have to write like you actually SEE what your writing, you have to write like you've been to this place and met these people.....At least that's what I think. (^_^)
In other words, I have to describe what I see, smell,touch and all that?

Thanks for all the suggestions, it really helped. Well, the currently one of the major problems I faced now is "showing it" , not merely "saying it". E.g,
A rainy scene. The once azure skies now threaten with menacing dark clouds, ready to drench us all. ---> Into: Kiki: "It's getting dark, we should just stay in the car. Anytime soon it's going to pour." I'm not sure, how I can do this better through.

I think writing a visual novel is a little different from writing a book sometimes... because, books doesn't have much conversations compared to VNs...

Another "burning" question is.. how does the reader knows you are not writing "passion" ?

Maybe I also, most of the times, I get this "writer block" thing...

lepapillonrouge
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by lepapillonrouge »

Also
witty dialogue <3
deviantART
---------------------

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#10 Post by Sapphi »

lepapillonrouge wrote:Also
witty dialogue <3
Just not too much "clever" dialogue, or it comes off as forced. If it steps over that line, it's just embarrassing to read, especially if the exchanges aren't as witty as the author thought them to be at the time...
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#11 Post by LVUER »

What is a clever dialogue? Could someone give some examples of those (both good ones and bad ones)?
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

HikkiPanda
Veteran
Projects: Marchioness' Teacup

#12 Post by HikkiPanda »

oh, don't forget about background music. It plays a very important role to set up the mood for whatever story that may happen

clever dialogue? I wonder what is it like too ... is it like Boke and Tsukkomi?

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#13 Post by Sapphi »

I was thinking more along the lines of stuff like Juno... not sure how to explain the feeling if you haven't seen it. I liked the movie, but from time to time I was like "Woah, these scriptwriters were trying really hard to be clever, weren't they?" When the reader/audience thinks that, that's when you know ya got too much wit. It breaks the realism of your story because in real life, interactions are usually not as clever. Lots of people only think of clever comebacks like a day or two after someone insulted them :b
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

IonicMomo
Regular
Completed: Mail Order Bride
Projects: Untitled GxB game

#14 Post by IonicMomo »

Ha, when I think of overly witty dialogue, the television show "Gilmore Girls" comes to mind. It's hard to think of good examples out of context, but too much wit comes across as artificial and contrived. Often it's too fast-paced, too obscure, too heavy. Real people don't think on their feet that quickly, at least not 24/7. And characters that are too clever (like Juno) can come across as arrogant and unlikable, in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I love wit and snark and clever comebacks! But people whose personalities consist of that and that alone are actually really flat characters. But yes, wittiness in moderation is good. It keeps readers engaged, and it endears the characters to the readers. (I know I've just contradicted myself there, so I'm going to shut up now.)

Textbook example:

Lady Nancy Astor (to Winston Churchill): If I were your wife I would put poison in your coffee.
Churchill: And if I were your husband I would drink it.
Current Project: Untitled GxB Game, Untitled NaNoRenO 2011
Completed Projects: Mail Order Bride

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#15 Post by Aleema »

Gilmore Girls and Juno were excellent examples, I agree. Even the movie "Easy A" made me dislike the main character after a while because everything she said was a quip and I couldn't relate to her at all. She was just a vessel of pure awesome, apparently. No real weakness in sight that she couldn't wit herself out of.