Whatever you do - GET THAT DAMN GUI RIGHT! *_*

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

Re: Whatever you do - GET THAT DAMN GUI RIGHT! *_*

#16 Post by papillon »

Pretty GUI is definitely cool, and I WOULD like to see a topic where we can talk about the details of some good/bad ones.

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#17 Post by Aleema »

papillon wrote:Also, "simple and plain" IS good GUI by many people's definitions, even if it doesn't meet your personal tastes.
I don't mean the opposite of "simple and plain" to just be tons of decorations and crap flying around. I actually care diddly squat about ornaments. What I mean by simple/plain is that it looks like it didn't take long to do. It's not polished or dynamic. It's just a solid color with a border, for example. Solid color boxes everywhere needs to die. Texture, gradients, something. Please.

It's the difference between:
Cooked up in a few minutes. ;_;
Cooked up in a few minutes. ;_;
Simplistic is good, yes. But I think there's a threshold of simplicity, when it just comes off as incompetence or laziness. Look at Google. Simplisitic to the max, but they have an entire department that works on GUI, and it shows. They don't throw away the concept of a good button, even if there's only one of them.

HotLimit
Regular

#18 Post by HotLimit »

bunny-gypsy wrote: However, if you are talking about pretty "skinning"/aesthetics (ex: pretty edges around the screen; flowers or bats on the corners), then that is something I don't really notice or care about.
I care about the bats :(
bunny-gypsy wrote: But, anyway, I'm not sure what you are talking about when you say "bad" GUI. Are you talking about plain GUI? Or are you talking about confusing, ugly, or cumbersome GUI, etc?
My guess is plain GUI. Confusing/ugly GUI are a matter unto themselves, often cherished by some gamers (people that like PC classics such as X-Com or the original KOEI strategy games).

Though to reign in the ugly-GUI hate for a moment, I've played a few VNs (usu. static/non-kinetic) on the Nintendo DS (both commercial like Phoenix Wright and independent/ports via VNDS), and their interface is usually pretty ugly or nonexistent (artwork is also subtle or nonexistent). So as not to discourage those who don't want to bother with GUI, I would say that there is certainly an audience for games that focus solely on the text.

edit: In light of some new posts, I should say that 'simple' and 'plain' are two different things.
edit2: Oh wait, Aleema just said the same thing, more or less.
edit3: I think gradients, shading, textures, etc. can be a double edged sword. Sometimes they end up making a game look super-cheap. Maybe that's just my personal preference.
Last edited by HotLimit on Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran

#19 Post by Aleema »

I suppose, of the two words, I am stressing "plain" more than "simple". They usually come hand in hand, though. It is easy to have a bad GUI by being overly complex, though. Almost too easy.

HotLimit
Regular

#20 Post by HotLimit »

In either case, the distinction I was making between 'simple' and 'plain' was that if your game only has one button (the 'forward the text' button), make sure that button is as clean ('simple') as possible. If it's too plain, it might look obnoxious.

IMO, Phoenix Wright DS's big brown button with white arrow is UUUGGGLLLY, but the game is brilliant, so it's all good (one of the few exceptions).

xelacroix
Regular
Projects: beautiful girls

#21 Post by xelacroix »

what is GUI anyway

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#22 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

xelacroix wrote:what is GUI anyway
Graphic User Interface. It encompasses things like stat bars, menus, text windows, the stuff that a person uses to actually play the game.

Glasskitten
Regular
Completed: I confess to nothing! \(>o<)/

#23 Post by Glasskitten »

*more insecure about the visuals of personal projects than before, which is saying a lot*
Grand list of things not officially canceled:
Salt -- the heartwarming story of brain-eating space worms
Tangent -- an epic poem and/or novel about a borderline-autistic Martian imp and her relationship with God
Kittens of the Darned -- a grimdark soap opera about sexy catgirls (Indefinitely postponed until I learn to draw and color realistically)
The Other Mary -- the most perfect fic about the most perfect Mary Sue EVER
Rockheart -- a short story about a monster who kills everyone
Corrupted -- a completely different short story about a monster who kills everyone (late Worst Visual Novel Ever)
Checkpoint 36a -- the transcription of a short multi-ending dream about time travel and undead schoolgirls
In Which the Princess is Kidnapped -- an entry in the "ordinary girl ends up in an alien universe and tries to save it" genre
Pictogram Scramble: Magical Friendship Bunny Ivy -- a Flash game about a magical girl making friends (Indefinitely postponed until I learn how friendship works)

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran

#24 Post by Aleema »

Glasskitten wrote:*more insecure about the visuals of personal projects than before, which is saying a lot*
Eep, most of this is for commercial games ...

bunny-gypsy
Regular

#25 Post by bunny-gypsy »

Aleema wrote:
papillon wrote:Also, "simple and plain" IS good GUI by many people's definitions, even if it doesn't meet your personal tastes.
I don't mean the opposite of "simple and plain" to just be tons of decorations and crap flying around. I actually care diddly squat about ornaments. What I mean by simple/plain is that it looks like it didn't take long to do. It's not polished or dynamic. It's just a solid color with a border, for example. Solid color boxes everywhere needs to die. Texture, gradients, something. Please.

It's the difference between:
guis.jpg
Simplistic is good, yes. But I think there's a threshold of simplicity, when it just comes off as incompetence or laziness. Look at Google. Simplisitic to the max, but they have an entire department that works on GUI, and it shows. They don't throw away the concept of a good button, even if there's only one of them.
Ah, I see. If it's a commercial game, then yes, I would expect a little more work than that, heh. :)
Trying out different things and learning Ren'py and Python programming. =)

Efreet
Regular
Projects: Denial, Guilt [On Hold]

#26 Post by Efreet »

"A good GUI ..." checklist:

has a good font that doesn't require glasses nor seem out of place
has a clean, clear layout that doesn't take up the whole screen
has a non-invasive interface (careful of all those "Are you sure?/Are you really sure?/Really, really sure?" menus)
has all the essential buttons you need
makes a sound and change looks to confirm that you've pressed it
it'll also make a sound when you hover over it
sparkles and moves without you pressing it
alternatively, has a non-hassle layout that does the job
has a transparent/gradient text box
will not use the Times New Roman font

This is by no means an exhaustive list...