Hidden Stats

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

Hidden Stats

#1 Post by SusanTheCat » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:04 pm

I am redoing my VN and I was thinking it would be nice for my character to have a "self confidence" skill.

The choices she makes during the game can build this skill.

At the end of the game, some of her choices will only be available if the self confidence is strong enough.

Should I:
- Keep the stat hidden?
- Make the stat visible?
- Have an expert mode with stat not visible and a novice mode with the stat visible?

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

babyfish
Veteran
Projects: Maid of Midsummer (LifeSim)
Location: (' )< Swimming in your fishbowl, nomming on flakes.

Re: Hidden Stats

#2 Post by babyfish » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:53 pm

Just a note I thought I'd bring up.

If you're going to keep the stat hidden, you'll still want to let the players know that it exists in some way. You don't have to state expicitly, "Your Self-confidence stat does this and this, but it is hidden", but you can leave hints in the dialogue such as "You feel a little more confident." when the stat is raised, or "You failed, due to your lack of confidence." Something subtle like that.

I think whether or not you keep it hidden is really up to you. It would make for a neat gameplay element because players will know it exists but there's no way of determining its exact value, so they'll have to weigh their choices a bit more carefully.

What other stats will you be using in the game, by the way, if any?
(Work in progress)

(' )< -babyfish

LadyAvori
Regular

#3 Post by LadyAvori » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:22 pm

A confidence stat sounds really cool. And I love the idea of having certain options available depending on where your confidence is.

That being said I agree with babyfish. If you keep it hidden just make sure the player knows that there is a confidence stat and whether or not their actions are making it raise or lower. Otherwise you will have some frustrated players wondering why they can't get "good' endings or out of a certain situation with positive results.

I think hidden would be my preference because of the added mystery of "is my confidence strong enough to pull this off?" So if anything I really like the idea of the two settings to cater to everyone's play style or needs.

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by SusanTheCat » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:57 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

So far it is the only stat.

One of the themes in the story is that you have to stand on your own two feet and not depend on others to save you.

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

bunny-gypsy
Regular

#5 Post by bunny-gypsy » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:15 pm

SusanTheCat wrote:Thanks for the feedback.

So far it is the only stat.

One of the themes in the story is that you have to stand on your own two feet and not depend on others to save you.

Susan
Sounds interesting! :D Have fun with that!

For me, I don't mind either way, as long as there is some kind of clue about what has happened.
(In fact, I forget to look at my stats sometimes, anyway, lol!)

Choose however you want to approach it. :)
Trying out different things and learning Ren'py and Python programming. =)

xelacroix
Regular
Projects: beautiful girls

#6 Post by xelacroix » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:50 am

nice idea!

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#7 Post by Aleema » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:46 am

If it's the only stat, hidden is totally fine. I support babyfish's example of "you feel more confident" hints. Showing the stat will turn it into a stat game and you'll focus more on the number/size of the confidence meter than if the choices actually did something positive. The consequences are reduced, and if it's easily displayed, we may not read in between the lines if we can just look up and see immediately if that was the "right" thing to do.