How do you diagram your story branches?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
nunu

How do you diagram your story branches?

#1 Post by nunu »

(First post, yay.)

So I'm in a collaboration with four other writers, and it's not an ideal situation, but we're piecing together a script for a VN. The story hasn't introduced all of the characters yet, but it's already branching kind of wildly. I'd like to propose to them some method of marking the story branches with some -- any -- consistency, but this is my first time working on a game script, so I don't know what would work best.

Any suggestions?

p.s. I'm looking into software for flowcharts, but 3 of them (and I don't know if it's because they're Nanowrimo vets but they're) are practically married to Scrivener, which I'd rather not have to purchase just to read/edit the text.

Joey
Regular
Projects: Water's Edge
Organization: Etoranze

Re: How do you diagram your story branches?

#2 Post by Joey »

Hmm well I'm no experienced VN maker, but imo flowcharts are the easiest and clearest way to do it. I just label each story branch with the name of the Ren'Py label I'm using and draw it out traditionally :> But if you're collaborating with people online you probably need a digital way of doing it, which I can't help with, sadly... :'D
Image (devblog) || devtwitter | devtumblr

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#3 Post by Aleema »

I use Labyrinth as mentioned on the OELVN wiki. It's a bit of a chore sometimes, but I love, love, love the ability to move the boxes around wherever I please. Nothing bugs me more when I can't drag/drop elements in a chart.

I recommend dropbox if you're working on team project, since your files will stay in sync with each other.

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by SusanTheCat »

I use GraphViz -- but I'm a techie nerd

For collaboration, you can try http://www.lucidchart.com/ and make a flow chart.

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

#5 Post by Gear »

I use Visio myself, but it's an arm and a leg to get...
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope
Projects: Rising Angels
Organization: IDHAS Studios
IRC Nick: Komi
itch: idhas

#6 Post by KomiTsuku »

Personally, I use pen, paper, and a good set of side notes. Sadly, that won't work in your situation.

nunu

#7 Post by nunu »

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. :D