Converting Ren'Py Games to Android?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

Converting Ren'Py Games to Android?

#1 Post by Applegate »

Now I know it's possible... but even after the instructions on the website, I somehow don't gather exactly what I need to do! I've converted the game to 480x320 (my phone's landscape values), added android.txt, icon.png and .nomedia to my C:/renpy/mygame/ folder, and─

Now I'm lost. There's a bunch of files it says I need to download to move it onto the device, including an ADP file... but I can't find it. D: The device (probably correctly) says it cannot run the files on it, and now I'm just a little lost.

Would anyone be so kind as to give me some pointers on what do, or possibly help me out here?

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Converting Ren'Py Games to Android?

#2 Post by DaFool »

Yeah, it needs a little compiling. It's not that simple, that's why no one besides PyTom has released an Android Ren'Py game. I'm clamoring for a "Build APK" service, even if it's not going to be free (lots of protocols to go through or so I heard).

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#3 Post by Watercolorheart »

I see...

I subscribed to this topic anyway... I'm curious myself. It's the only reason I have an Android phone.
I'm not even the same person anymore

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#4 Post by PyTom »

While it's possible to build using the current instructions, they're fairly technical. That's the nature of the android beast. I plan to have some sort of APK building solution available towards the next release (6.14). I'm leaning it towards being a commercial solution.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Applegate »

Hm, I see. I guess the best plan for now is to convince one of my more technical friends to help. ;) I'm already happy enough I figured out functions of Ren'Py eventually, I don't dare tackle the Android beast yet, haha! It's just that I was browsing the Appstore and saw Moonlight Walks there and figured, what better way to reach a broader audience than to make your work available to one?

Thanks!

Chu-3
Veteran
Completed: CAFE 0~The Drowned Mermaid~,duplicity~Beyond the Lies~, East Tower Series,How to Take Off Your Mask,CAFE 0 ~The Sleeping Beast~, How to Fool a Liar King
Projects: How to Fool a Liar King
Organization: roseVeRte
Tumblr: roseverte
itch: roseverte

#6 Post by Chu-3 »

@pytom
will you fix the problem for sound files inside rpa?

making apk files is quiet easy in current version, but then my game can't work if it's packaged into apk... seems because it's pretty big, over 50 MB.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#7 Post by PyTom »

Did you re-create the rpa file using a recent version of Ren'Py? It works for me, there.

Also, you need to make sure the format you use is supported by your device.

Chu-3
Veteran
Completed: CAFE 0~The Drowned Mermaid~,duplicity~Beyond the Lies~, East Tower Series,How to Take Off Your Mask,CAFE 0 ~The Sleeping Beast~, How to Fool a Liar King
Projects: How to Fool a Liar King
Organization: roseVeRte
Tumblr: roseverte
itch: roseverte

#8 Post by Chu-3 »

Okay, I'll test it again later. The last time I tested it unsuccessfully is with 6.12.15

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by DaFool »

Look what popped into my inbox! I can't wait until we can port HD-res renpy games as-is for Android.
Developers,

At Google I/O, we announced that Android Market is coming to Google TV. With the update coming later this summer, we want to give you the tools to start building now using theGoogle TV add-on for the Android SDK.

With the upcoming OS update to Honeycomb, Google TV devices will be Android compatible. That means you can build great new Android apps for TV, optimize existing mobile or tablet apps for TV, and distribute those apps through Android Market.

The add-on will let you emulate Google TV and build apps using the standard Android SDK tools. We're also releasing APIs for TV interaction. Currently, Google TV emulation is supported on Linux with KVM only.

Get Started Now

* Instructions to download the add-on
* Documentation for TV app design and requirements
* Official add-on announcement

If you have questions or comments, please continue to reach out to us on the Google TV Android Developer Community forum. We look forward to your contributions!

Google TV Developer Relations

---(c) 2011 Google Inc. 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043

Enders

#10 Post by Enders »

I am an Android developer.

Making a VN engine was a pretty interesting thing to do. My goal is to convert some ren'py novels into native Android Apps. My first project will be the Broken Hearted kinetic novel. Seeing as how that novel uses the MIT license, there isn't any legal issues with redistributing it.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#11 Post by PyTom »

There isn't. For Broken Hearted, be sure to convert the time notations at the upper-right of the screen - they're important to understand the timeline of the game.