Wacom Inkling

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Voight-Kampff
Veteran

Wacom Inkling

#1 Post by Voight-Kampff »

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/30/waco ... ed-way-so/

Hmm. This looks like it might be a nice intermediate step for people who don't have the resources to drop on a Cintiq, but also aren't used to drawing on a standard tablet, like a Graphire/Bamboo, etc. It's interesting in that it vectorizes everything and lets you draw multiple "layers"...Tho, I think it'd be kinda hard to keep track of those layers if you keep drawing on the same sheet of paper.

But still, it looks interesting.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

Re: Wacom Inkling

#2 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Oh. My. God. That looks soooooo awesome. That is just so cool. I can draw just fine with my intuos, but the idea of being able to sketch anywhere and store it like that is just so... nifty! I wonder how well it works in practice. Plus, it's pretty cheap.

TakeOverWorld
Regular

#3 Post by TakeOverWorld »

Wow, that looks great. Too bad I'll never be able to buy it :cry:

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

#4 Post by Camille »

I don't know what this is like, but I have a LiveScribe pen for taking notes and stuff and it's really useful. If the Wacom pen has that many sensitivity levels and doesn't require special paper like the LiveScribe pen does (though LiveScribe lets you print paper for free, I bought the notebooks), I can see this being really useful. Expensive, though! ;_;

Celianna
Veteran

#5 Post by Celianna »

Wow, that looks really convenient! I don't use tablets because I just can't get used to them, and because there is a slight lag from pressing down the pen, to transferring to the computer - that part annoys me. Just having it trace your pen instead is much better, and it even saves it as a vector which is amazing. Loads of things you can do with it. You could turn your handwriting in a font for example. Graphic designers could finally transfer their logos from papers directly into a vector shape without having to redraw it.

Must save up for this @_@
A GxB game about designing your own clothes.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#6 Post by LVUER »

@Voight-Kampff:
I'm soooo going to buy this one >_< I've been waiting for so long this kind of gadget. With this, I don't need to carry around my heavy laptop and light-but-inconvenient-to-carry-around bamboo tablet (now I have a lighter netbook but carrying around a tablet still not that easy). So now I could sketch anywhere and anytime i like, and still have the digital version of my sketches, sweet!

Thanks for posting this ^_^

@Camille:
So there is product like livescribe (pulse/echo)? I didn't know before... I could've buy it if I know before this, but I prefer wacom inkling.
- Inkling electronic device is stored inside that box thingie (instead of the pen itself), so I assume the pen is much lighter than livescribe pen. And since it's from wacom, the pen quality should be good.
- Inkling support multiple layers and I could edit my drawing afterward in PC. Livescribe couldn't, right?
- Inkling doesn't need special papers. Livescribe needs special paper that although you could print it on your own, that means I couldn't draw on everywhere I like.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

#7 Post by Camille »

LVUER wrote:@Camille:
So there is product like livescribe (pulse/echo)? I didn't know before... I could've buy it if I know before this, but I prefer wacom inkling.
- Inkling electronic device is stored inside that box thingie (instead of the pen itself), so I assume the pen is much lighter than livescribe pen. And since it's from wacom, the pen quality should be good.
- Inkling support multiple layers and I could edit my drawing afterward in PC. Livescribe couldn't, right?
- Inkling doesn't need special papers. Livescribe needs special paper that although you could print it on your own, that means I couldn't draw on everywhere I like.
I'm not an artist, so the multiple layers and all that stuff doesn't really matter to me. The LiveScribe pen is already really light--no heavier than my tablet pen at home. (I have an intuos3 for design purposes)

LiveScribe is a totally different kind of pen--it's for notes. It supports voice recording (surround sound--when I play back the recording, it sounds like people are talking behind me or in front of me or whatever XD) and makes it so if you tap a place in your notes, it'll play what was recording when you wrote that note down. It's ideal for taking lecture classes.

Also yeah Inkling doesn't need special paper, but it needs that scanner thingie that you have to plug at the top of paper you use--another thing you have to keep charged. :P But yeah you can edit your notes/drawings on the computer with LiveScribe. It even automatically makes a pencast that shows step-by-step exactly how you wrote/drew and in what order and I think there are some layers since you can write on top of things/cross things out/etc, but I haven't really explored that much.

Anyway, Inkling and LiveScribe are two totally different products with two totally different purposes, so comparisons are kind of pointless. XD

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#8 Post by Samu-kun »

The God Machine has finally arrived.

LVUER
King of Lolies

#9 Post by LVUER »

Hmmm... just browsing through Wacom sites and it seems Inkling hasn't entered my country's wacom product line (obviously, Inkling is there on America's Wacom product line). I guess I'll just wait for a while since I'm not interested in importing electronic devices (the custom is a mess here, I don't want to pay an insane amount of tax).
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#10 Post by Sapphi »

Aww, what a cute little pen ^0^

I'd love to try one, but I'm not sure if I would buy it without a detailed review. It seems to me that the little receiver would have to require batteries of some sort... hopefully rechargeable lithium though. And I know vectors are really useful, but I feel like you lose detail with vector lines, because they're so smooth. Maybe I just don't work at a high enough resolution...

But the main problem with it is that it's a pen. A really expensive pen. And I'm always losing my pens :lol:
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

LVUER
King of Lolies

#11 Post by LVUER »

Yup, it requires battery. The case acts like a charging station. A three hours charge will power the pen for 15 hours and power the sensor for 8 hours.

I doubt it's only the pen that expensive. The sensor would be expensive too.

DeviantArt Account

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#12 Post by sake-bento »

I showed this to my boyfriend, and the first thing he asked was, "Can we preorder?"

This looks really, really useful. The vectors and the layers are especially appealing. Time to start saving up.

Efreet
Regular
Projects: Denial, Guilt [On Hold]

#13 Post by Efreet »

Hmm the only gripe I have with this is how the sensor is attached to the page, with a tablet you got a solid mass that stays in one place. With this, looks like you 'clip' it on at the top and back of the page, though as to how sturdy it'll be might depend on how sturdy you are with your drawing position...

I dunno, I feel like this would be pretty useful for me not having a scanner and such.

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Suna to Majo

#14 Post by yummy »

Waaa! I'm SO going to order this when it will be available in my country!
I hope the ballpoint will not cost too much to change over time. There might be a need for a smooth surface too. I also hope I won't lose the pen somewhere...
Because there are lots of warp zones in my room. One day I lost my tablet pen on my desk, bought a new one and finally found the first one, lying under my bed several months later.

blakjak
Veteran

#15 Post by blakjak »

Cool but no erasing though.