question from the 3blindmice

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
3blindmice

question from the 3blindmice

#1 Post by 3blindmice »

this might sound kind of dumb, but i was looking around here to see if there was any doujin games based on any anime, game, or manga. i haven't seen one yet, and i wanted to make sure if it was allowed to make a doujin game based on an anime of some kind.

~3blindmice

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#2 Post by PyTom »

Sango is the only one that's been released so far. You can make whatever game you want. I've recently loosened up the rules for renai.us, so we'll now post any game, provided you don't use 3rd-part material. (So you could use art from series A to make a game about series A , but you could't use art from series B to make a game about series A.)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

3blindmice

#3 Post by 3blindmice »

a lot of thanks for the info ^_^
i have another question to bother you with.
do all the games here have to be made with renpy?

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#4 Post by papillon »

No, if you already know how to use something else, go ahead. I'm not using Ren'Py, a couple of people have used Flash or other things...

The benefit of using Ren'Py as a newbie is that you have more people around to give you advice if you get stuck. :)

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

Another teeny, tiny, miniscule benefit to Ren'Py is that it just happens to be vastly superior than anything else out there- at least if you don't have any unusual requirements

F.I.A
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Winter Shard, EVE, Hyperion

#6 Post by F.I.A »

Mikey's Marry Me Misato is one of the games which fits your description. But indeed, such game is rather lacking, perhaps due to the fact making games based on one title can be both easy(With all the resource set) and frustrating(To emulate the characters exactly to their truly or face the wrath of the fans).

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#7 Post by mikey »

Well, I do prefer original things, even though it is sometimes hard to resist making a spinoff of TOL or a game with Eileen. It's the what-if thing that's so great about it.

Anyhow, I like to think that M3 is indeed a bit different from works using established characters, because it doesn't involve Misato in anything, she isn't the cast. She only acts like a goal, and AFAIK the game doesn't even mention her personality or anything and it acknowledges her status as an animated character from a series. It probably could have been about any anime character, but oh well, Misa is my favorite ^_^.

3blindmice

#8 Post by 3blindmice »

Oh I see ^_^
Would it still be valid for the Ren ai archives if all content was original (Art, story, music etc), except the setting and characters was copyrighted?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#9 Post by PyTom »

If all data is original, then I'll let it in... subject to complaints by the owner of the rights.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom