F**k this, what's the point?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

F**k this, what's the point?

#1 Post by Blue Lemma »

I mean that literally, what's the point of censoring swear words in a visual novel? I downloaded deIz, and the download page says, "Warning: This game contains partial nudity, sexual themes, written violence, and censored strong language." (emphasis mine)

Censoring swear words always strikes me as silly. Because, what, we don't know what "f**k" or "s**t" is supposed to mean? Or when someone says "mother*BEEP!*", we don't know what's going on? Why the farce?

I say if your characters are going to swear, let them have the full impact of swearing. That's the point of swearing, right? No one stubs their toe hard and shouts "BEEP!* :P

How do you handle it in your games? Censored swearing? No swearing (aw fiddlesticks!)? Full-on crinkle your mother's ears? Avoid those types of characters all together (Miko would never let loose an F-bomb <3 )?
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

Re: F**k this, what's the point?

#2 Post by Taleweaver »

I just HAVE to post this:

Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#3 Post by LVUER »

Same reason why you put all those disclaimers, those warnings (which sometimes seems intended for idiots dummies), those mozaics, and those ESRB ratings. To avoid getting sued by suing-happy people.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope
Projects: Rising Angels
Organization: IDHAS Studios
IRC Nick: Komi
itch: idhas

#4 Post by KomiTsuku »

It really depends on the character. A few of my characters won't cuss or replace them with similar words (ex: Yoi uses fook.) The others use the words, and I don't censor them. It's pointless. Not only does it detract from the point the character is trying to make, but it is unrealistic and just plain silly. As for being sued, freedom of speech. I already claimed that my game wasn't for six year olds, maybe they should police their children better?

Bwahahahaha! My F**king Pony!

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#5 Post by Aleema »

Latest poll on my site suggests: people really don't f**king care. :P So long as it's not childishly thrown all over the place.

I originally handled my game to exclude swears. If they were going to swear, someone cut them off. I replaced the strong swears with the mild swears. F**k > screw. S**t > damn. Sometimes even hell into heck for no good reason. I chose to say "jackbutts" once because that's a funny word, not necessarily that I didn't want to say jackasses. Anyway. I personally will be playing it by ear. I feel like sometimes the F-bomb can shake you out of game if the mood doesn't allow for it. We're used to living in a world where people curse all the time, even ourselves, but in our games, that might not be the case so it may be very odd to suddenly see it.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#6 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

I say it's pointless. It's not like you can't tell what they are saying and it drives me nuts when it is beep beep beep constantly. I would rather not seeing those people at all, but if they are swearing, they are swearing. Even more so for written words. I think the character should either swear, use alternatives, or just don't say them. I think that would depend on the type of character and the audience you were going for. Swearing has it's place definitely, and can still be quite powerful despite it's over use.

But they probably exist for the same reason we now have a rainbow sheep.

(Also, I see what you did there ;) )
Last edited by Auro-Cyanide on Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Desu_Cake
Veteran
Projects: Secret, Secret and Secret

#7 Post by Desu_Cake »

I'm half-tempted now to write a character who yells BEEP! instead of swearing.

Anthy
Regular

#8 Post by Anthy »

Unless the game is super dialogue-centric and lacks narration, it could be described as an action. "Yuusuke's face twisted with rage as he clenched the unlucky object in his hand, and began shouting unintelligible profanities at it."

There's also "@%#$!" kind of stuff that can be used instead of "beep!" Though I think that one is just for random angry swears that may not be in any dictionary, and the effect is more comedic. Otherwise, it pretty much is impossible to fool anyone by adding a couple asterisks.

"Alternatives" makes me think of Wizard Swears. "...Dobby's sock"

J. Datie
Veteran

#9 Post by J. Datie »

I usually read things how they're written, so if a character is calling someone an an asterisk-hole, whatever I'm reading has now become unintentional comedy. On the other hand, I don't think I've ever stopped reading something and thought "I just can't get into this with any swearing!"

Meatpie
Regular
Projects: Dr. Book's Book Store ~ Episode 1 ~ Enigmatic Mind

#10 Post by Meatpie »

I write how I speak.
I swear a lot.
So some of my characters tend to swear a fair bit.

Only time I would ever use censoring would be environmental censoring, such as cars passing by, trees falling and so on so forth.
I think if you are going to do it for comedy purposes, that is the best way to go.

Censoring because you don't want to offend is... well.. tree falling stupid. Words can't hurt you, and no 12 year old who is into Visual Novels is going to be ruined by reading a swear word.

They are more likely to download one of the Nasuverse and learn about the wonders of construction work.

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by SusanTheCat »

I don't swear as a general rule. I'm not against it, I just never developed the knack. As a result, anytime my characters swear I think it comes across as un-natural.

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#12 Post by Blue Lemma »

Auro-Cyanide wrote:(Also, I see what you did there ;) )
Are you talking about the thread title? If so, isn't it great? *inserts ojou-sama laughter* ohohohohoho

Er, anyway... I played deIz (great game) last night and the treatment of this made my head spin. There are sexual activities, yet the word "sex" is completely censored! I'm thinking this is a cultural thing (the dude's from the Philippines, I think)

Oh silly censorship norms. You baffle me here and everywhere else, too! :)
SusanTheCat wrote:I don't swear as a general rule. I'm not against it, I just never developed the knack.
Same here.
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

Tsundere Lightning
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: And plenty of them!

#13 Post by Tsundere Lightning »

The only game where that really worked for me was Brutal Legend. Mostly because the dialog choice for whether or not there would be swearing was:
Brutal Legend wrote: - Say whatever the fuck you want!
- Bleep it out, but only because that's funnier
And it is HILARIOUS with the bleeps.
She's sun and rain: She's fire and ice. A little crazy, but it's nice.
Bliss Stage: Love is your weapon! A sci-fi visual novel about child soldiers coming of age. Kickstarter prerelease here. WIP thread here. Original tabletop game by Ben Lehman here. Tumblr here.

Adorya
Miko-Class Veteran

#14 Post by Adorya »

It's largely used as a joke function by now, it's like in anime, manga or video games when a man is suddenly naked for comedy effect, his parts are hidden by mosaics, or for "suggesting" something humorously gross.

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

#15 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Why do you have to warn about the strong languages when it is censored all along? :lol:

I know I'll be considered as a bad kid when I say this, but I cuss.
A lot. And I'm just thirteen.

My characters tend to cuss too, but it actually in the personality. If the character's a short-tempered girl, yeah, I'd expect it.
I have a classmate which I ALWAYS hear cussing, even when she's surprised, she cusses like a motor mouth.
But if the character's shy, cussing is... something of a surprise. :|