Wishful thinking?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Random Wishful Thinker

Wishful thinking?

#1 Post by Random Wishful Thinker »

I'm probably being stupid, but is there a free program out there for making anything that remotely resembles a dating sim.. in English? That could be used by a complete idiot who knows very little about C++ coding- or any coding, for that matter, aside from a lot of HTML?
..You know, when I read that over, it's the most pathetic thing I've ever heard. x_x Wah. ..But I just had to ask! It can't hurt, right? :(

Random Wishful Thinker

Hmm..

#2 Post by Random Wishful Thinker »

You know, this RenPy that's mentioned in a different thread might be what I'm looking for! XD Before I check it out, though, I have to finish some chores. -_-

Erik
Regular

#3 Post by Erik »

What I personally like very much for making any kind of game is GameMaker. It's a program that lets you make games without much code - you can drag-and-drop 'actions' (small buttons with a picture on them) to events (for example an alarm event). For the more advanced programmers it has a built-in programming language which can be used instead of actions and leaves few limits to your games. Comes with a comprehensive guide and has a forum with helpful users.
Few people make visual novels with them, but it is very well possible (actually, it would be quite an easy genre to program).

Random Wishful Thinker

Arigatou!

#4 Post by Random Wishful Thinker »

Thanks for the link! -runs off to it-

ranma girl

Not wishful thinking

#5 Post by ranma girl »

Was just discussing this topic on Mega Tokyo...I've been using a program called InterAx for the past couple months that allows an individual to design a game and add their own artwork without doing any programming. You can make walk-through games with it like "Myst" or a standard dating sim. It has some limitations (that's the trade off for not having to program), but it's really great.

You still have to be able to come up with a game design and artwork, but that's a lot of fun. :-)

The program's called InterAx and the website is here:

http://www.cognitial.com/interax/index.htm

Unicorn
Regular

#6 Post by Unicorn »

Depending on the complexity of the game's design, Adrift might also suffice.

http://www.adrift.org.uk/

Random Wishful Thinker

Yay!

#7 Post by Random Wishful Thinker »

All so helpful! Thank you all!

Wishful

-sneaks in-

#8 Post by Wishful »

Guess who this is? ^_^;; Just thought I'd mention that I have an account now. -nodnod-
~This random senselessness brought to you by Wishful~

Sai
Winged Hybrid

Re: -sneaks in-

#9 Post by Sai »

Wishful wrote:Guess who this is? ^_^;; Just thought I'd mention that I have an account now. -nodnod-
heh, welcome to the forums

Wishful

Re: -sneaks in-

#10 Post by Wishful »

Sai wrote:
Wishful wrote:Guess who this is? ^_^;; Just thought I'd mention that I have an account now. -nodnod-
heh, welcome to the forums
-bows- Thank you!
~This random senselessness brought to you by Wishful~