Fanservice for women?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

Fanservice for women?

#1 Post by Blue Lemma »

We all know the typical fanservice for males (showing female characters in swimsuits or underwear, big bouncy breasts, girls kissing, "bananas" ^_^; ) but are there equivalents for females?

What are the turn-ons/junk foods for the female brain in ren'ai games and VNs? (Or fanservice things you wish there was more of?)

I am a curious Lemma :)
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

Re: Fanservice for women?

#2 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Yes of course :D

For me it's toned male upper body. Pretty much all of it. I like the angular forms and the combination of muscle and bone. Hmmmmm.
But personality does come first. If he had a personality I was attracted to, I couldn't care less what he looked like.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#3 Post by LVUER »

I'm not a girl/woman but I think fan-service for girl/woman is:
1. Shirtless man (especially if he has that six pack), could be sweating to add the sexiness.
2. Gentleman in tux.
3. Man acts like a butler or knight in the shining armor, giving his eternal servitude to the girl.

That's all that I could think of... man, I still have long way to go to make otome game (T__T)
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder

#4 Post by Blue Lemma »

Auro-Cyanide wrote:But personality does come first. If he had a personality I was attracted to, I couldn't care less what he looked like.
Hmm, does anything having to do with "personality" qualify as "fanservice"? It sounds so... wholesome :lol: Junk food! Junk food! *male brain spin*
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

#5 Post by Mink »

Fan service for me? (And that's in a spoiler because I feel awkward 'saying it' out loud)
Guys who somehow manage to get into bondage-y situations.
Needless to say, I absolutely love Sanzo from Saiyuki. Also, the kinds of guys I generally like in an attraction sort of way are either A) hot guys with glasses (Sanzo counts here too because he has reading glasses) and B) manly/big tough guys. God knows I'd love more anime/manga if there were more manly guys.

No, seriously. I go completely ga-ga over Scar from FMA: Brotherhood.

@LVUER: In response to that:
1: Muscle isn't necessarily fan service-y for me; honestly, I like kind of chunky/stocky guys
2- Suits and uniforms, yes please
3. That would annoy the crap out of me and kind of makes me think of a clingy person I'd have to punch to get to leave me alone. That and I think it's cliche.

Now make me a game catering to my odd taste in fan service and men. 8|

(Joking, joking. Well, the last sentence was a joke. The rest still stands. 83)

@Lemma: It can, IMO. There's a character in Winter in Fairbrook that makes me think, "YES! Talk science to me, baby!" /science nerd
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

#6 Post by SilverxBlue »

LVUER wrote:I'm not a girl/woman but I think fan-service for girl/woman is:
1. Shirtless man (especially if he has that six pack), could be sweating to add the sexiness.
2. Gentleman in tux.
3. Man acts like a butler or knight in the shining armor, giving his eternal servitude to the girl.

That's all that I could think of... man, I still have long way to go to make otome game (T__T)
The first one is just... (sorry for the term) "ew" for me... I don't find sweating attractive at all. o_o

Well anyway to add something to the topic...
For me, I don't know why but I think a guy looks a thousand times better if he wears glasses...
So yeah... If a certain anime character is forced or asked to wear glasses it already counts as fanservice to me. ^^;
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#7 Post by lordcloudx »

LVUER wrote:Man acts like a butler or knight in the shining armor, giving his eternal servitude to the girl.
Ayasaki Hayate is a fanservice character now? Well... I guess it could be when Nagi forces him into these kinds of situations at times.
Attachments
hayate.jpg
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#8 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

This is actually harder to answer then I thought. Fan service is basically doing what the fans want, so I suppose it depends what type of fans you are talking about.

I think personalities could qualify as fan service, especially if it falls into the cliches. When you have something like the best friend/romantic interest because people like it.

Anything beyond 'shirtless' is probably going to vary girl to girl. For instance, I like good tattoos and ear piercings. But everyone would like something else. I can't really think of something as wide ranging as female breast and butts. Maybe BxB to some extent I suppose. Also, lol> http://doubleleaf.deviantart.com/art/ti ... -170339994

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder

#9 Post by Blue Lemma »

Yeah, it seems like guys are easy to make general fanservice for. Maybe we're 90% the same like that? :oops:

There seems to be a lot of guys getting forced to dress as girls as a fanservicey theme when I think about it... true?
- Napoleon Bonaparte

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#10 Post by papillon »

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... tlessScene

Although I prefer backs to chests. Muscled backs. They're very nice.

Also, long-haired pretty boys! Boys in fabulously frilly clothing, goth or renfaire or visual kei, it's all good...

Lingering focus on soulful eyes.

Style. I don't mean that in the sense of fashion, so much as... charisma. Some guys (and some characters) are just overflowing with awesome, so much so that http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... uysWantHim I've seen a certain actor who I won't name, who has a huge following but who is EVEN SEXIER out of character, filmed in the audience of a new years eve gathering, just casual, relaxing in blue jeans and grinning with casual confidence and GAH sex on a stick.

But if you're looking for specifically more fanservicey moments within a story? A lot of girls go all swoony if a guy acts protective, especially if he can manage to pull it off without coming across like he's patronising or thinking of the girl as a helpless ninny. Trip and start to fall, hot guy catches you, doesn't tease you about it, grins at you, goes on his way... girl watches him leave, starry-eyed. Guy who's been working for the main villain all this time refuses to harm a hair on girl's head, and in fact stands in front of her and declares that anyone who wants to hurt her has to go through him? SWOON.

Alternately, a lot of girls are turned on by the idea of hidden danger, particularly a danger that *only they* can tame with the power of their luuuuuv (be careful with this one, it can lead to Twilight). Or, relatedly, the idea that the guy finds the girl so hot that he can't control himself. That's a power trip.

Yaoi-tease. The guys don't have to actually snog to play with fangirl attentions. Watch the twins in Host Club! Just the way they interact with each other is enough to reduce hordes to squee. A little bit of teasing flirtation between male characters, even if they don't mean it, will be fanservice enough to make many girls very happy.

There may not be quite a direct equivalent to the banana-eating, although licking ice cream gets that effect for some people. There's also a reason the phrase "he's good with his hands" is said in a suggestive manner! Demonstrating a firm-but-delicate touch, patience, creativity... generally suggesting he would be awesome in bed. Dancing can do that too.

But it's difficult because most people here know what they personally like and that's going to override more geenralised stuff in their requests. Guys are not homogenous either, but they tend to be more aware of what the generic-stuff-for-guys is supposed to be. (There are TONS of men who do not like big breasts. There are many men who do not like girls kissing girls. Etc.)

Also, in video games (not VNs so much but games in general) a lot of developers aren't willing to take even the first and simplest step towards fanservice - attractive male faces! At least Hollywood sometimes caters to women THAT much, even if they generally disdain the female audience...
Last edited by papillon on Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#11 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Blue Lemma wrote:There seems to be a lot of guys getting forced to dress as girls as a fanservicey theme when I think about it... true?
I personally never understood it. But it does happen a fair bit in manga and anime (and outside it for comedic effect) so someone must be into it...? I suppose it is an extension of the whole feminine male thing for female fans. I don't know if you could count on it to appeal to a large group of females though, but I could be wrong.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#12 Post by papillon »

Cross-dressing is a particular fetish, it's more niche. It works for ME, but you'll make a wider range of girls happy by dressing your boys in tight jeans and/or tuxedos.

Butts in jeans, very traditional female eyecandy.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#13 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

papillon wrote:Butts in jeans, very traditional female eyecandy.
Oh yeah, male butts are very important. They are one of female equivalents of a females breasts or wide hips. A nice butt basically means they would be a good mate. Genetically speaking *cough*

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

#14 Post by Mink »

Speaking of butts (...lol?), while playing Dead Space 1 and 2, I kept getting distracted by how AMAZING Isaac Clarke's butt looks. No, seriously. Really LOOK at it.
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder

#15 Post by Blue Lemma »

@papillon: Oooooh, nice list (and it reminds me I need to catch up on Ouran - even if I have to turn in my man card, haha ;) ) By comparison to the male fanstuff, it still seems so wholesome and innocent, at least to me. I kind of expected that...

@Auro: I wonder if it's some kind of equivalent to the forced/unintended female-stripping fanservice for males. You know, a character suddenly finds him/herself in an embarrassing situation which somehow serves as the junk food :) Classic emasculation psychological-type stuff and all that? (I dunno, just a theory)

@all of above: I didn't think of that - girls seem to be more into butts relatively IMO
- Napoleon Bonaparte