Shounen-Ai (Boy x Boy) Games

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#16 Post by DaFool »

Strong females and gentle males will naturally be it, since tsundere-style is my forte :D Nevertheless I like my characters to have backbone. Also, when the going gets sensual, I'd like the male to 'give' and the female to 'accept'. My seme / uke designations are primarily for those things, doesn't mean that the actual relationships will be a uni-directional highway, far from it.

bookie
Veteran

#17 Post by bookie »

DaFool : I've considered making a game with a selectable gender protagonist as well, among other things. But I'm trying to finish one game before I start another, haha.

The BL game I've been working on is almost a year old, but I'm still working on it, slowly but surely. I think in this community shoujo games are much more popular, which is understandable. Many of the games that have come out (if not almost all of them) deal with a male protagonist and a female love interest. That's what many people like to play, and that's what people make.

However, I know for a fact that outside of this community, BL games are very popular and it would be great to see some quality BL games made in English. I'm trying to contribute, but I have to put my education first. (And I'm very lazy)

So, you might not get the biggest response here over a BL game, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a demand for it.

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#18 Post by musical74 »

Late response, but better than never, right?

Papillon: I seem to remember that clubanimon was doing a m/m game, I remember asking her was "BL" stood for and doubted it was Blue Lemma...but I haven't seen her post in awhile. And I THINK Foxtaile was m/m but I may be wrong on that score too.

And I'll agree with Blue Lemma on this: while I might not care much for it, I'd give it a go to try it out :)
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

chibialex-chan

#19 Post by chibialex-chan »

I'd personal kill for more BL games in English. I don't want Enzai to be the only game in english. It's a bit harsh for everyone. Something sweet and sentmental and touch like dome the Ren'ply games out now.

(though don't expect if from my game I'm not so hot in the touching writing department. But on the plus side the programing of this game hasn't killed me yet..but the art might)

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#20 Post by papillon »

Well, Enzai isn't the only English one... that other for-sale one is about to come out, and isn't there Kuro No Tsuki and AnimaMundi? (which I don't have my copy of yet)

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#21 Post by Vatina »

When it comes to games for sale then there is Animamundi as papillon said - and I think they are releasing more of that kind. I may not remember correctly, but I think that the upcoming title Yo-Jin-Bo (or something like that) has such elements in it too.

And when games like those are released commercially, I wouldn't be surprised if there would appear a few more fan-made BL games as well?

arra-chan

#22 Post by arra-chan »

-
Last edited by arra-chan on Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Astray

#23 Post by Astray »

Well I'm in the process of making one. Well really, I'm just gonna get the art done. Because coding it makes my head hurt. My main dude is supposed a college prof. and kinda older. So I added the scruffynes to his face..but I onno, I really dig it, but I don't know..
Attachments
beard2.jpg
beard2.jpg (219.66 KiB) Viewed 1393 times

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#24 Post by DaFool »

That's pretty neat drawing you got there...reminds me of designs in realistic anime like Kurau and Planetes.

I think its almost certain quite some OELVNs in the near future will be BL... due to the nature of companies not releasing enough so fans will make their own... as they say scarcity begets innovation.
bookie wrote:I think in this community shoujo games are much more popular, which is understandable. Many of the games that have come out (if not almost all of them) deal with a male protagonist and a female love interest. That's what many people like to play, and that's what people make.
It's also the lack of genre diversity in western-influenced cultures. I mean, there's no such equivalent as Harlequin Romance for guys, and romantic movies are generally labelled as 'chick flicks' or 'date flicks'. That's why Japan is wise to have the shounen romance genre, which a lot of bishoujo stuff fall under. I tend to notice a certain group which watch this, I call them 'shoujo and bishoujo guys'. I fall under this, as do the animebloggers bluemist and Jeff Lawson. We're the type who watch Kare Kano, Cardcaptor Sakura, Nana, etc. while at the same time either play the games of / watch the anime or both of Da Capo, To Heart, etc.

So in effect bishoujo games satisfy a need which is lacking in most other media, hence there's a good many of them which found a home in this medium.

I'm assuming BL games also satisfy this lacking need, since in other (mainstream) media they would be confused as being targeted towards gay men.

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#25 Post by Watercolorheart »

On a completely but not entirely unrelated note, the SOS-dan.com image boards have soooo many pictures of Kyon and Itsuki.

I saved most of them. XD
I'm not even the same person anymore

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#26 Post by monele »

Wow, really great art ^.^. I hope I'll manage to still enjoy this (I'm not a BL person) because I'd like to see this in use :)