Always Bishies that are Predictable....(In Otomes anyway)

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran
Completed: NaNo2015 Bedtime, NaNo2016 The Doll and the Spider, NaNo2017 What's Your Name?, NaNo2018 Painting Your Skin, NaNo2019 Home's Embrace, NaNo2020 Molly
Projects: NaNo2021 Cracked Moonstone
Deviantart: Sunlit-Dreamer
itch: Sunlit-Dreamer

Re: Always Bishies....(In Otomes anyway)

#16 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

@ Anthy Yeah, I understand what you mean. I myself am very picky with stories. Really gets irritating to see copycat stories on fanfiction of "high school romance", changing the characters' personalities completely. Example: Syaoran being a jackass jock and Sakura a complete loser who can't stand up for herself. Seriously? If you wanna write characters like that, MAKE THEM UP for fictionpress! (Or at least find a fandom that actually DOES have characters portrayed that way) I'll be trying to avoid cliches and making a crappy plot. I always do in my stories. (After all I do want to become a professional author, that means NO SHITTY STORIES OR BACKGROUNDS) So it makes me giddy when I read a story/play an otome that has a WONDERFUL and original story that flows smoothly from scene to scene.

@ sake-bento Thus why I'm sticking to my idea despite how out of whack it seems. I want to do it (I just need time and the drive hahaha) no matter what anyone else says concerning cons. Which there are a lot of I think. (And on another note regarding tv shows with "not so attractive" main characters there's also Drop Dead Diva. Although that one is a bit of a contradiction)
ImageImageImageImage

Vynuxys
Regular

#17 Post by Vynuxys »

I don't think you're answering my issue at all, Sunlit-Dreamer XD. I never, ever said it's a bad idea. I never said you're trying to make the best otome, or that I think it's weird, or that I'm thinking about what are YOU thinking for having such an idea. I didn't mention any fantasy elves with shining armour, and I don't see the reason to exaggerate so much. So please don't stuff words into my mouth, thanks.

Honestly, have you played any Ren'Py games that are like that? Super handsome elf with sparkly armour that protects you from evil and some other super handsome guy tagging along just to give you a bishie-romance choice? I haven't. And this wasn't the point I was making. I'm not for Mary-Suing either. I mentioned a high-school setting; do you honestly see a character you describe in such a setting? Seems to me like you are being bitter over this, and I can't figure out why. I was more thinking of a person who has something unique about them, like a high-schooler who is shy, but if you get to know him, you'll find out he loves skate-boarding with all the badass-wannabes. Not an elf in armour... lmao, still can't figure out where that came from.

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran
Completed: NaNo2015 Bedtime, NaNo2016 The Doll and the Spider, NaNo2017 What's Your Name?, NaNo2018 Painting Your Skin, NaNo2019 Home's Embrace, NaNo2020 Molly

#18 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

XDDDDDDDDD Sorry bout that, I tend to type up random stuff at times when I'm online. (I only think more carefully about what I say in reality, and type for essays. In here, be prepared for the most random things. And..........I also tend to exaggerate things because I have no idea what others think. So instead I make up a standard that is....somewhat believable. It is somewhat believable right?)

O.o I appear bitter? Blah. @@ I'm not upset over anything that's been said so far, like I said I'm actually laughing while reading some of this stuff.

As for why I mentioned the whole elf knight and all blahdy blah it was a lil example of something in general. (Maybe I should make one with that elf knight in the future just for the lulz) And why an elf knight, I was spouting whatever came into my head. XDDDD.....And now I remembered Yu-Gi-Oh with that Celtic Elf Guardian dude. Curse you thoughts. (And I sorta did only it's not an elf knight. XF) And sorry again bout that, got a lil confused since the word "high school" didn't click in my mind. (Note: Taking place in college instead, yays)

Anyway~ I will be making the guys like that. (Not skateboarder though since I don't really know one personally and don't wanna stereotype them) Yes, the guys will look plain and average. (As possible anyway) But their personalities? >:3 Well I don't wanna give spoilers....plus I've only decided two guys' personalities so far. Buuuuuuuut one of them you'd believe to be a goody goody two shoes who'd bore you to death while talking about whatever lame hobby they'd probably have along with being a Mama's boy. (Some guys....you can actually tell. o_o) However his hobby and dream is....okay I'm stopping right there.

But yes, they'll have those interesting quirks to them you wouldn't actually expect. After all, that's what makes getting to know people so fun. You think you know what they're interested in and what they do. Until BAM you go inside your mind "......Holy snap they're into THAT!?" (I still find it hard to believe one of my innocent looking friends rides a motorcycle.)

Hmm....maybe I should reread a few things so I don't go overboard again. XP
ImageImageImageImage

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#19 Post by azureXtwilight »

Hmm, if you mean about the character design then you can't actually blame the artists. I mean, everyone has their style of drawing and I myself find it personally hard to differentiate between bishie and average XD Although some people do tend to say that Raphael tends to be the ugliest of all character in doppelganger *shot*

Personality-wise, I agree. I know most are like that, the jerk turns out to be soft, the nice guy's route is boring and etc. I would like to break the stereotypes too, that's why in the game I'm making they doesn't do things like what they look. People who played the demo of doppelganger mostly got their guesses wrong XD

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran

#20 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

(*le gasp* Azure! *fan girl squeal, than faints....* LURVE your VNS! LURVE 'EM! But can't say anything about Doppelganger because I prefer to have everything fresh and new once it's completed instead of knowing what to do right away. :3 Anyway enough of that)

Yeah, it is difficult to tell sometimes. Except in the shoujo manga where the make the guys all....hmm what's the right wording that doesn't involve glitters and sparkles....well basically you just need to stare at their face and know right away that they're the "destined one". (Thank you Furuba for having us guessing for volumes who'd Tohru would pick! Kyooooooooo~)

It's pretty much a big reason why I wanna make the guys plain. So no one can guess how'd their path go. Such a nice twist isn't it? And if I'm able to do the personality and writing part right, I might implement it into future vns. That have bishies and shotas included. :3 After all, we all love surprises. Such as....*digs into mind for random example* a bad boy appearing type having a fear of heights and cats that wants to become a pilot, yet height fear keeps him back. (That is a random example, nothing serious. Would laugh if I ever see a guy like that. XD....Maybe I should do that. >:D)
ImageImageImageImage

Vynuxys
Regular

#21 Post by Vynuxys »

Haha it's okay, I understand ;3

It's good to know you're gonna go anti-stereotype, I always like that~. Still, my point from before stands: average-looking guy just doesn't make me want to find out anything about him. If they all look the same, the only difference being the hair and eye colour, then I'm going to quit the game in seconds. I think plain guys are boring; spicing up their looks and giving them a unique appearance makes you go 'ohh, let's see who this person is'. Does that make any sense? .3. idk. just me.

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran

#22 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Ooooohhhhhh no worries about that. When I draw people I try my best to make them look different from each other. And since my art style is pretty much anime/manga style, they probably won't look as plain as they would in reality. XD Expect one chubby dude though. (*hears girls gasp....nah jk jk about the gasp....or maybe they did?*) I like guys that have meat on them that I can lie down on while sleeping. >:3 With glasses. :D *has glasses fetish* (That guy alone is pretty much necessary from my pov, but no one has to go after him.)

Other two (or three) will be more of a healthy weight/skinny. Not stick skinny though...(Something's wrong with those guys. I DON'T WANT TO SEE YOUR RIBS D:<) But yosh, I'll be doing my best to differentiate them from each other. Because even though they're average, that doesn't mean all of us average people look exactly the same. Would be pretty boring....
ImageImageImageImage

Glasskitten
Regular
Completed: I confess to nothing! \(>o<)/

#23 Post by Glasskitten »

I'm having some trouble understanding the intrinsic connection between Generic Cuteness and predictability implied in this topic...
(Irrelevant note: When I don't find the characters in a game physically attractive, I usually assume that the artist is either inexperienced at drawing or attracted to something different than I am. It's never occurred to me that the unattractiveness may be deliberate.)
Grand list of things not officially canceled:
Salt -- the heartwarming story of brain-eating space worms
Tangent -- an epic poem and/or novel about a borderline-autistic Martian imp and her relationship with God
Kittens of the Darned -- a grimdark soap opera about sexy catgirls (Indefinitely postponed until I learn to draw and color realistically)
The Other Mary -- the most perfect fic about the most perfect Mary Sue EVER
Rockheart -- a short story about a monster who kills everyone
Corrupted -- a completely different short story about a monster who kills everyone (late Worst Visual Novel Ever)
Checkpoint 36a -- the transcription of a short multi-ending dream about time travel and undead schoolgirls
In Which the Princess is Kidnapped -- an entry in the "ordinary girl ends up in an alien universe and tries to save it" genre
Pictogram Scramble: Magical Friendship Bunny Ivy -- a Flash game about a magical girl making friends (Indefinitely postponed until I learn how friendship works)

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran

#24 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

XF Don't worry about it. But I think it came up due to me saying that for the characters we see in vns, that it's easy to guess how their path will be. Prince like guy? He'll be a gentleman and protect you. Childhood friend? He'll be jealous but will either try to give you up or finally decide to confess which will lead to "le shock". Cold guy? He'll appear mean and harsh and once you get to know him, you discover he has a sweet side. Get the idea?

Although it really wasn't brought up right away. I just choose to have plain looking guys, that way no one can figure out right off the bat what they're like. I could give real life examples but I'm pretty sure that's not necessary since they're everywhere. Such as our friends and family, they should be good enough examples themselves over how "a book shouldn't be judged by its cover".

And another reason I decided average guys is because they do deserve a chance to get the girl. (Who herself shall also be plain looks wise)

(And your note really isn't irrelevant. It is very EXTREMELY unlikely that they're drawn unattractive on purpose.)

Did that clear things up for you? Or did I make everything sound even more weird or exaggerate things again? o.o (Hmm, I wonder if it's possible to change the title to add in "Predictability" as well)

Edit: Oh just remembered a few more things. Okay. To go a lil more on the image department for boys. Guy 1 has hair combed, clothes all prim and proper, and is always smiling. Guy 2 has messy hair, more casual clothes such as a hoody with a sweater and jeans with a wide grin or smirk. Guy 3 might possibly have short styled hair, or hair covering half his eye (from what I've seen for a few of them for this type), dark clothes, has a sneer or glare and is always frowning.

True this can also be used to identify and guess how people are irl. But that's not always the case. I think I'll stop there. It's 4am and I need my brain later to touch up essay. @@
ImageImageImageImage

Dollywitch
Veteran
Projects: Celestial Knight Iris, Thread

#25 Post by Dollywitch »

I'd love to see a BL fic with manly men

Cidz
Veteran
Completed: The Forgetful Kiwi [NanoReno 2012], Papercut [NanoReno 2013]
Projects: Words Within Our Hearts, Papercut [NanoReno 2013]
Organization: Starlight Melodies
Tumblr: starlightmelodies
Deviantart: cidthekitty

#26 Post by Cidz »

That's a pretty interesting and different idea! I say go for it. Wierdly enough I love my bishies and whatnot but in real life I actually prefer the more normal looking guy over the hawt brad pitt look a-like if nothing else because they seem more intersting lol. It would be cool to have a mystery and not know which one is the angry one and which one is the happy one.

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran

#27 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Yosh someone who shares my tastes! (*glomps my boyfriend*)

Wish I could say I had a WIP thread up by now buuuuuuuuuut. I don't. Not putting one up anyway until I have the story written and some art to post for people to stare at.

Hmm...darn it I wish ideas would stop coming into my head. >< (STOP COMING TO ME AND GO TO OTHERS YOU DARN IDEAS!)

Question. How can I change the title? (So I can add predictable) Does anyone know? I know it's changeable. But I just can't figure it out. Grr.
ImageImageImageImage

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#28 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

If you go to your original opening post and click the edit button found in the bottom right hand corner, you will be able to change it :)

Omnificent
Veteran
Projects: FA:NG, ???

Re: Always Bishies that are Predictable....(In Otomes anyway

#29 Post by Omnificent »

Yeah, I have a harder time getting into "EVERYONE IS GENERICALLY MANPRETTY" stories myself. Which is why almost everyone in my current work looks pretty much like people you would see walking down the street.
Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering - A brotome game. (Nerdy Valentine's Day Card and small status update 2/14/14)
Night at the Hospital - Maiden voyage of Team Snugglebunny
Skylessia: Tale of the Boon - Epic fantasy whatsit, currently on hiatus.
Viking Pipsqueak Productions Blog (under construction)

I occasionally frequently draw other people's characters. Now offering delinquentization, medievalization, and cyborgification. Hit me up in PM if you want sprites for your KN or non-ren'ai VN.

EVEN IF THE TENDONS OF MY THUMBS TEAR INTO NOTHINGNESS, EVEN IF I GO NEARSIGHTED FROM STARING TOO HARD AT THE SCREEN, EVEN IF MY BODY IS CLOSE TO COLLAPSE FROM THE 72 HOURS I HAVE GONE WITHOUT FOOD! I WILL DEFEAT YOU!

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran

Re: Always Bishies that are Predictable....(In Otomes anyway

#30 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

I wonder if I'll be able to make it work though. Seeing that I draw 1. Sonic style 2. Anthro style and 3. Manga/Anime style. And even if I did somehow succeed making them appear plain....there's the poses. *sucks at poses, usually just has them.....standing and staring at something*

Oh well. Writing will come first than I'll be working on the art. *chuckles evilly at twist I came up with*

And thank you @ Auro-Cyanide!
ImageImageImageImage