What makes a girl character attractive?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Fawn
Moe Imouto

What makes a girl character attractive?

#1 Post by Fawn »

There's enough stuff about what should be an otome game, what a guy should be like blah blah blah... What about the FEMALE love interests? :>
So, guys, bi/lesbian ladies, and girls who like bxg- What makes a girl character attractive to you? Looks, personality, anything. (also please don't post "well, I don't like girls", that's not helpful)

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

Re: What makes a girl character attractive?

#2 Post by MaiMai »

Hm, it's been a while since I played a BxG game-- going off by when I played with Katawa Shoujo, I pursued Lily first based off her personality. I like girl characters with motherly and mature personalities and then you have that unexpected moment where there's this obvious tension between her and Shizune.

I liked all the girls in KS, even Shizune, but I think Hanako also brings out that maternal/sisterly instinct in me because she's so shy and withdrawn. That personality type is also endearing to me :)

As for looks, all I will say is that large, gigantic, and inhuman mammaries frighten me O.O Dammit male MCs, why do you keep noticing large boobs. I also mostly detest corkscrew hair styles unless they're executed nicely.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

Funnyguts
Veteran

#3 Post by Funnyguts »

Any girl that has to be described with more words than 'tsundere', 'yandere', or 'kuudere' is acceptable. Besides that, I prefer honesty, kindness, and a body where all the parts are proportional to each other. (I won't notice if a woman has large breasts if they go with an appropriate body.)

Celianna
Veteran

#4 Post by Celianna »

Funnyguts wrote:Any girl that has to be described with more words than 'tsundere', 'yandere', or 'kuudere' is acceptable. Besides that, I prefer honesty, kindness, and a body where all the parts are proportional to each other. (I won't notice if a woman has large breasts if they go with an appropriate body.)
I have to agree with everything you said. The tsundere, yandere and kuudere stereotypes annoy the hell out of me. Sure you can have some qualities of them, but not have it be the only defining trait of the character. Agreed on the proportions as well, which sadly never happens ...
A GxB game about designing your own clothes.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#5 Post by papillon »

For the incredibly shallow answer - I like pale skin and dark hair, with blue or green eyes, and moderate breasts (up to 'large' in normal human sizes, but not "OMG THOSE HAVE THEIR OWN ZIPCODE" like you see in some h-games). :) I'm not PICKY, I'll go after almost anything, but that's my instinctive preference. Possibly slightly gloomy (better that than genki), possibly slightly evil (but not TOO evil, just sneaky), definitely intelligent. Kuudere is good as long as the character is well-defined, not so keen on tsun or yan.

I like a girl with her own goals rather than one tagging along helplessly in the wake of the main character. I don't mind playing protector but in the sort of game where I'm having to constantly fend off physical threats to my love interest, she ought to have some fairly special talent of her own. Defending a witch with powerful magic that just isn't useful in combat, fine. Constantly risking my neck for a girl who has no skill other than looking cute, fair or not, is likely to create more annoyance than romantic feeling.

Really not into maternal types.

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

#6 Post by teacup »

For looks - I have a strong dislike for twin tail and girls that look five. I usually find long hair with accessories the cutest.
Personality wise, I like the shy types, as long as they aren't too kuudere. They're so cute and pleasant! How can you not want to play their path?
I really, really dislike tsundere girls - especially if they are blonde with twintails. There are too many of them. >_>; A little tsun is okay, but if they're violent, it's a big NO. I also really dislike whiny 'imouto' type characters. I guess, generally, I just don't like lolis.

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#7 Post by sake-bento »

The legs. Oh, yeah. I definitely have to say it's her legs. You can put that down. Her legs, and right where her legs meet her back. Actually, that whole area. That, and above it.

(Joking aside), I really do fancy a nice pair of legs on a girl. I'm fine with pretty much any hair color or style, but - as mentioned by those who came before me - the huge breasts are a serious turn off. Or, I guess, rather a distraction? I can't help but think that those must really hurt, especially if she's wearing some sort of ridiculous outfit without proper support, and it's less sexy than it is sort of worrisome. In terms of personality, I'm mostly into shy, bookish girls. Kotomi from CLANNAD was an instant win for me.

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#8 Post by MaiMai »

Hm, I just thought of a few more things I like for girls in BxG, I'll just put them in bullet form:

* Girls who can cook delicious meals. Yes. Please. Foooood. (I probably just thought of this because I'm hungry)
* Tomboys/Androgynous girls-- I guess I like this because I love their character designs XD
* Airheads-- not complete airheads, but slightly absentminded girls are kinda cute.
* Girls with earrings! Seriously, maybe I'm just unobservant (or maybe artists are being smart and not wasting their time adding this as part of a design) but I don't see this that often! I think earrings make a girl look pretty cool! But I suppose they're the type of accessory that can actually change what a character seems like personality-wise (for instance, shy girl with hoop earrings? That seems weird.) <---- anyone can correct me on this if they have an example of mild-mannered girl who can rock her earlobes
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#9 Post by papillon »

mild-mannered girl who can rock her earlobes
Hannelore and the set of ear-piercings left over from her initial introduction when she was a completely different character? :) Of course, that's a web comic, not a game...

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#10 Post by DaFool »

I noticed I've been playing less VNs and more console games, because static images no longer do it for me to make me want to go "OMG I want to be with this fictional videogame character!"

Especially with recent motion-captured games, it's very convincing to have a female primary or secondary character. Examples:

Notice her hair? I LOVE her hair! And her clothes. Her entire style. Amazing how a Western (well, western-produced, made in China) game using the Unreal Engine can have the opposite effect of bald space marines in brown warehouses.

Yorda is a helpless girl with a ridiculously stupid AI (yep, playing ICO right now). But just glowing white, coming from another world, and just being a constant companion -- it seems like there's mutual understanding there. And that's attractive. Not even understanding her language even (That explains a lot of how men are attracted to foreign women).

Also fulfills the manly fantasy of having something female follow you around whereever you go..

Vynuxys
Regular

#11 Post by Vynuxys »

I don't like tomboys. They seem very stereotypical, always (okay fine: usually) have the same 'badass boy wannabe' personality and they just don't flow with me. I love girls who are girls. I love girls who like dresses, skirts, fancy hairstyles, pink and purple, all of that is a big win. Another stereotype that goes with the "girls who like pink" is that they are weak and gentle, which is something I, in turn, dislike. I like girls who are girls, but who are also strong and kind. Those are the ones I usually meet in real life anyway, and I find this extremely attractive, if not admiring.

I don't like stupid girls though, the ones that are meant to be 'cute', you know? They always scream "kyaa" and all those 'cute' stuff. They make me want to punch the screen. I also dislike the shy bookworm girls with glasses. Again, such a stereotype, it's getting old. Not all bookworms are shy, not all geniuses wear glasses and not all girls with glasses are bookworms. It really gets on my nerves to have characters like those.

Joey
Regular
Projects: Water's Edge
Organization: Etoranze

#12 Post by Joey »

Vynuxys wrote:I don't like tomboys. They seem very stereotypical, always (okay fine: usually) have the same 'badass boy wannabe' personality and they just don't flow with me.
Same! I really can't handle that type of girl.

I'm not a guy and I'm not a girl who likes girls, but when playing a BxG game I always pick the girl with the... wait for it... best fashion sense, first. Unfortunately most of the BxG games I've played (School Days, etc.) have girls with rather plain-looking clothes or are set in a school so they're always wearing uniforms.
Image (devblog) || devtwitter | devtumblr

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#13 Post by azureXtwilight »

I like girls with guts. Not the type who is a tsundere, though. They annoy me. Not yandere either. I like girls who has goal and without the main guy they will be just fine, and not the type who walks into alleys and need constant rescuing. Plus points if she's smart or talented in music or just have an unique hobby. I like people such as bookworms who also play games, or a girl who can cook and do housework but she likes to tinker with the machines as well~ XD

HikkiPanda
Veteran
Projects: Marchioness' Teacup

#14 Post by HikkiPanda »

I love the shy meganekko and nerdy bookworm type, like Mari the librarian from Harvest Moon Mineral Town

or the caring and kind type, like Elly the nurse from Harvest Moon Mineral Town.

Kyminara
Regular

#15 Post by Kyminara »

Ayame's shop assistant from Fruits Basket.

- I love the glasses type - male or female.
- I adore girls who are outgoing and expressive. She doesn't have to be tsundere, she just shouldn't be afraid to speak her mind.
- I like mature, confident women. Also, girls look good in suits and uniforms.
- Big breasts are good, but I hate when the character becomes nothing more than that girl with big breats.