Yes! My BG's are 3D... Problem?...

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope
Projects: Rising Angels
Organization: IDHAS Studios
IRC Nick: Komi
itch: idhas

Re: Yes! My BG's are 3D... Problem?...

#16 Post by KomiTsuku »

U mad? Someone trolling Mugen? I do hope the irony wasn't lost. :P I've got a feeling I know who sent it, although I'm not going to point fingers...

But your point is perfectly valid and one I've often said myself. 3D is a perfectly viable means that works well, saves time, and there really isn't a drop in quality. They look a lot crisper than most traditional BGs and that is sometime I tend to lean towards myself.

babyfish
Veteran
Projects: Maid of Midsummer (LifeSim)
Location: (' )< Swimming in your fishbowl, nomming on flakes.

#17 Post by babyfish »

3D backgrounds? Nothing wrong with that. When employed by someone who knows their stuff, it makes for a pretty efficient way of doing backgrounds, and can result in some pretty amazing work. Professionals do it too. Besides, those background images in the first post are gorgeous.

It just sounds like someone is trying to grind your gears for kicks. Clearly, they didn't have anything better to do.
(Work in progress)

(' )< -babyfish

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#18 Post by fleet »

Somebody complained about 3D art? Ignore them.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

LSDY

#19 Post by LSDY »

they MAD cuz you're stylin' on them
seriously now, can't see nothing wrong with that BG. Even commercial VNs sometimes use 3D stuff (and most of the time it doesn't look half as good as these)
I also want to make 3D places with Sketchup and then just make screens and paint BGs from them

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#20 Post by DaFool »

I just bought Mangagamer's latest VN Go Go Nippon and the backgrounds are a combination of touched up photos and touched up 3D.

Even the highest-production-value-anime in the past season, Hanasaku Iroha, was a 3D-fest.

Yeah, there's an art to the 'old school' or 'authentic' way to get things done... but like genuine pixel art (where the artist literally counts the pixels and sets the individual color flag) it can be too much time and effort when you can be far more productive cranking out tons of BGs through 3D or quick canvas-type hand-painting.

Then again, I've always been an advocate of the cheap n dirty or minimum viable product philosophy. You can always remake something with better art if it's worth it. But something that never gets produced because it lacks 'quality art' (whatever that means) has never existed and never will.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#21 Post by LVUER »

To take things further, there's even a VN that generated 3D BG in real-time (in cell shading to create more anime-ish look).
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#22 Post by Fawn »

They're just jelly, Uncle Mugen.

3D bgs are quite nice actually... Reminds me of games like the Tales series, where you have nice animu graphics against a nicely rendered backgroud. Feels more "real" too, like the boundary between the real world and the 2d world is a little thinner.

Game graphics need to be made fast and easily anyways. It's not like most players care so much about bgs anyways, as long as it gets the point across, it works.

Crocosquirrel
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mobile Food Madness, Super Otome Quest
Projects: Academy Daze
Organization: Polymorphic Games

#23 Post by Crocosquirrel »

*I* certainly don't have a problem with those BGs-- Both of those were done for Academy Daze. As far as the person that sent that email, if it's the same induhvidual I'm thinking of, he can kiss my rump.

As far as Mugen not being a great writer, did that guy fall out of Mom with publishing contract in one hand and a word processor in the other? I think not. Everyone sucks at everything at some point.
I'm going to get off my soap-box now, and let you get back to your day.

Academy Daze- Back in production! Complete with ecchi-ness ;)

Meatpie
Regular
Projects: Dr. Book's Book Store ~ Episode 1 ~ Enigmatic Mind

#24 Post by Meatpie »

I'm a teensy bit jealous.
I hope I get hate mail one day.

Soon as I release my crap-tastic VN, someone better send me some really awesome hate mail (preferably long) so I can pin it up on the wall and remind myself every day that someone out there wasted a few minutes of their time to send me something that I ultimately didn't pay attention to.

That would make me feel happy.

I'd kill to be able to produce 3D backgrounds, currently I'm just using plain ol' colours that suit the mood as a substitute for anything BG related.
I'm a teensy bit jealous.

DragoonHP
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Christmas
IRC Nick: DragoonHP

#25 Post by DragoonHP »

Ignore them... as someone had said, Haters gonna hate...

And I can bet the person who had sent the mail wouldn't have opened a 3D program in his life... because if they had, they would have known the complexity involved in making a decent 3D...

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

#26 Post by Gear »

That's the kind of person I will never understand. A visual novel is about telling a story with the use of graphics, sound, music, and text. The way it's put together is not a big deal. There are many VNs that don't even use bg graphics, but still tell amazing stories.

I was told early on when I joined this forum that if it works for you, do it. I've received criticism (not nearly as childish) from people for tracing my sprites (not on this forum) instead of drawing them by hand, but in the end, that's how I like my sprites to look, and that's how I'll continue doing it.

I wouldn't want you to change your style, Mugen. You do an awesome job with your work.

*smokebomb poof Vietnamese Ninja-style*
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

Dharma Fish
Regular
Projects: West Falls
Organization: Dharma Fish Studio

#27 Post by Dharma Fish »

Besides all this, who is stupid enough to dump on google sketch-up. All the dudes that draw for Marvel comics use sketchup now. Even Stan Lee preaches the virtues of sketchup in his book. But I guess he doesn't know anything about art right? Sorry you got trolled man, I think your art is amazing.
---------------------------------------------------
http://tkfanclub.blogspot.com/

Abeiramar
Regular

#28 Post by Abeiramar »

I'm painting my BGs traditionally and heck, does it take time :( .

It requires a depth understanding of perspective and lighting I don't have yet and it will take some months till I make something decent (I'm currently studying how perspective works).

Time is precious so I perfectly understand people who resort to filtered backgrounds or 3D backgrounds. At least the author can focus more on the character sprites and the writing.
I'm even thinking about using filtered photographs or 3D backgrounds on my next project, as the years go by I have been more and more busy with real life affairs... Really, also the feeling of "why I have so many pictures to paint, I will never finish this T__T " can also get in the way of working on a visual novel.

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

#29 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

If only I know how to even do 3D BGs.
You even did 3D-rendered BGs for Soul and Heart and I didn't complain. :lol:
I actually have to filter most of them to make them grayscale... I feel bad for ruining the pretty, bright colors ;_;

I actually envy everybody who can make BGs. It's really time-consuming and you should have a keen sense of dimensions and perspective. (I suck at those two things, by the way.) And it takes time. Oh, all those little details, all those off-perspective things, it drives me crazy.

You can do BGs at least, and that's a gift only a few people can do. (or maybe many? I dunno) Well, I can do BGs to, except they suck :lol: I know you have seen them so you know what I mean. Why don't you try comparing my BGs with yours? Now that sounds a bit good. /fail

You do your VNs the way you want it to. The techniques in VN-making usually varies from person to person. Usually, you don't do VNs to please people, mostly. You do VNs to please yourself. So ignore them, and if that's the way you want to make your BGs, continue it. :D I honestly want that ability of yours. *attempts to steal Mugen's skills but fails*

And that e-mailer? He's just jealous. Why don't you challenge him that if he thinks that your BGs suck, he should make his own? /fail

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#30 Post by Blue Lemma »

Whoa, mugen on the warpath! But that just means you let the troll win :?

Breathe in.... breathe out... ^_^;
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )