A VN loosely based on Norse Mythology?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
HikariYamino

A VN loosely based on Norse Mythology?

#1 Post by HikariYamino »

What do you think of a VN loosely based on Norse Mythology? Mainly the 5 guys i'm thinking about is Loki, Odin, Baldur, Hodur and Thor. Its just a a normal GXB VN, nothing too deep and it doesn't exactly follow how these mythologies goes and i know that norse mythology is kind of dark with all these brothers killing each other, but i want to make this VN just light and fun. Do you think this will offensive to Norse Mythology fans??

Funnyguts
Veteran

Re: A VN loosely based on Norse Mythology?

#2 Post by Funnyguts »

How are you going to work Ragnarok into all this? I'm not joking, I'm actually legitimately interested in how that would affect the story.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#3 Post by fleet »

You can't please everybody. Make the VN the way you want.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

Omnificent
Veteran
Projects: FA:NG, ???

#4 Post by Omnificent »

Funnyguts wrote:How are you going to work Ragnarok into all this? I'm not joking, I'm actually legitimately interested in how that would affect the story.
MC is a valiant shieldmaiden who has just been sent to Valhalla for her bravery in combat, her ability to get close enough to influence the decisions of certain gods over the ages determines how Ragnarok ends up happening, if at all. Bad/Normal End is Ragnarok going off as told in mythology.
Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering - A brotome game. (Nerdy Valentine's Day Card and small status update 2/14/14)
Night at the Hospital - Maiden voyage of Team Snugglebunny
Skylessia: Tale of the Boon - Epic fantasy whatsit, currently on hiatus.
Viking Pipsqueak Productions Blog (under construction)

I occasionally frequently draw other people's characters. Now offering delinquentization, medievalization, and cyborgification. Hit me up in PM if you want sprites for your KN or non-ren'ai VN.

EVEN IF THE TENDONS OF MY THUMBS TEAR INTO NOTHINGNESS, EVEN IF I GO NEARSIGHTED FROM STARING TOO HARD AT THE SCREEN, EVEN IF MY BODY IS CLOSE TO COLLAPSE FROM THE 72 HOURS I HAVE GONE WITHOUT FOOD! I WILL DEFEAT YOU!

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#5 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Is this because Thor came out?

Frankly, I get really annoyed when people mess with the myths. I don't mind creative redirection and what not, but I prefer when it still links to the original myths. There like the canon versions, and your is a fan version.

vikingspirit
Projects: Celestial Crusades -Origin-

#6 Post by vikingspirit »

Oh! I LOVE Norse Mythology :D Greek Mythology is very overdone...kinda been there seen that ya know? I would love to see a Norse Mythology Otome xD Loki is awesome and not as horrible as everyone thinks. He's more mischievous than anything. I'm so glad you are going to include him! Personally, I agree with Auro-Cyanide about redirection. Speaking as a fan of the Norse Myths I'd like to see you incorporate the myths into the story. You can still have the story go any way you want but you 'pay tribute' to the actual myths too. I hope that makes sense :?

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

#7 Post by Mink »

I'm going to have to disagree about Loki. I distinctly remember (at least in the version I read) him killing Baldr out of jealously over the fact everyone was paying attention to and having fun with him. That's not just being mischievous, that's being a total dick. I also remember that reading that he STARTED off being mischievous and gradually got worse, so maybe if it was an early Loki?

And while I don't mind different interpretations/versions of myths, it shouldn't be to the point where it just seems like a case of Did Not Do The Research. Die in a fire, Disney's Hercules.
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*

Meatpie
Regular
Projects: Dr. Book's Book Store ~ Episode 1 ~ Enigmatic Mind

#8 Post by Meatpie »

You're not going to make them Bishies are you...

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#9 Post by Aleema »

I think the movie Thor proves that you can be extremely handsome and not bishie. Unf unf.

J. Datie
Veteran

#10 Post by J. Datie »

Oh man, but Thor makes such a good bishie!

I will now leave this topic, as there is only so much wrongness it can contain.

Aileo
Regular
Projects: Unnamed short project
Organization: [ctrl] + minds

#11 Post by Aileo »

I think I would enjoy a light-hearted version of Norse mythology. Those guys were really angsty.

vikingspirit
Projects: Celestial Crusades -Origin-

#12 Post by vikingspirit »

Mink wrote:I'm going to have to disagree about Loki. I distinctly remember (at least in the version I read) him killing Baldr out of jealously over the fact everyone was paying attention to and having fun with him. That's not just being mischievous, that's being a total dick. I also remember that reading that he STARTED off being mischievous and gradually got worse, so maybe if it was an early Loki?

And while I don't mind different interpretations/versions of myths, it shouldn't be to the point where it just seems like a case of Did Not Do The Research. Die in a fire, Disney's Hercules.
Hmm. Yes he did do that towards the end of the myths. But I really liked Loki before all that. Everything he did before that was mischievous. I can't help but feel with all the bullying he got he just got sick of all those stuck up gods...and I can see why he would ^_^' He is my fave personally because he is the most unpredictable and fun character of them all. That's my personal opinion. I love the Loki character because he makes me laugh. I do hear what you are saying though :)

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#13 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Didn't Loki have something to do with starting Ragnorok? Him and Fenris I think. I can't remember all of it though.

The vikings were pretty... extreme in many ways, and that is reflected in their mythology. I don't know if you could stray to far into happy land without it becoming something not so Nordic.

ratratrat098

#14 Post by ratratrat098 »

I recommend playing "Valkyrie Profile" if you need some good references.

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

#15 Post by Mink »

I'd recommend actually reading the myths and not another game that probably stretched things itself. I mean, I haven't played it, but still.
Auro-Cyanide wrote:Didn't Loki have something to do with starting Ragnorok? Him and Fenris I think. I can't remember all of it though.

The vikings were pretty... extreme in many ways, and that is reflected in their mythology. I don't know if you could stray to far into happy land without it becoming something not so Nordic.
I'm pretty sure Loki was at least prophesied to bring about Götterdämmerung Ragnorok.

And yes. Making a happy fun time story based on Norse mythology would most likely be Completely Missing The Point.
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*