The importance of personality

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
gaoldart
Regular
Projects: Tony T (Writer, programmer)

The importance of personality

#1 Post by gaoldart »

One day, a friend asked me "Why is Terumi liked so much if he's the bad guy?" and actually that left me thinking for a bit... why are some villians complete monsters yet are among the favorites? and came up with the answer "Personality".

If your character has a strong personality, one that is remembered easily and emulated with ease, you are in for a memorable character, in the case of Terumi he REALLY enjoys what he does, so, people start feeling some sort of synergy when they see him, but that alone is not enough, you can describe Terumi easily and try to sound like him without much effort. So in the end it was all personality.

My question is... how much importance do you give to this side of your characters?
Bashing my head against the computer desk while programming since march 2011, and so far no brain damashii nanananananananana katamari damashii

Chorvaqueen
Regular
Projects: ID: Recollection

Re: The importance of personality

#2 Post by Chorvaqueen »

I spent almost a month conceptualizing 2 character personalities with my friend...mostly on toning down attributes and pruning sue-tendencies. and she's the one who introduced me to tvtropes

must....resist..linking...to...tvtropes

•Chewing the Scenery...check
•Large Ham...CHECK
•Ensemble Darkhorse...maybe...but my friend she found one in my cast (probably appealed to her lol)

MiSi
Veteran
Completed: Santa
Projects: On Grey Wings, The Master's Call, Shadowborn ...while having many more in mind ;)

#3 Post by MiSi »

Our characters are nearly alive for us, so... developing them isn't difficult :D :D
We always think about things like: "How would characterA behave in situationA and what makes him different in behaviour from characterB or characterC..." That's how one can spend his/her freetime ;)

Marcelo_Orlando
Veteran
Completed: Case of the missing bracelet, Case of the mysterious stalker
Projects: Horror/fantasy
Organization: Kaboyashi Square

#4 Post by Marcelo_Orlando »

When it comes to villains, it is important to establish them strongly and put reason behind their actions. It's good to give your character foundation and make sure that they don't come off as one of those "I want to rule the world just because I'm evil" sorts. I do put extra time in figuring out who they are and why they do what they do. It makes the villain more relatable if there is a reason behind their actions instead of.."Muahahahah!" One thing that I always keep in mind is that all villains don't believe that what they are doing is wrong. That will make the character more developed and yes, there are those that like to hurt people but making them out to be different from the typical bad guy or maybe even more viscous would help them to stand out.

Also a handsome guy and or an awesome outfit and weapons can carry a character a long way.

Omnificent
Veteran
Projects: FA:NG, ???

#5 Post by Omnificent »

Personality is at least 75% important for me, especially since that is the main way the readers are engaged in a medium that is mostly dialogue. Even quiet characters should have something that draws you to them aside from 'they are the quiet one' or 'they are the good-looking one' or 'they say MOE MOE KYUUUUUUUN'.

On the subject of BlazBlue, Terumi is a magnificent troll with a magnificent fedora. He is basically Izaya from Durarara!, who everyone loves. Then Ragna is a rough-around-the-edges badass, Bang is a fountain of hotblooded ninja might, and Hakumen is a cool aloof badass suit of armor. In a cast of such crazy character designs and over the top personalities there are just some that stand out more than others.

For my part I just like playing characters with chain-and-sickle type weapons and sharp taste in menswear in fighting games, so I liked Terumi even before I knew any of the story.
Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering - A brotome game. (Nerdy Valentine's Day Card and small status update 2/14/14)
Night at the Hospital - Maiden voyage of Team Snugglebunny
Skylessia: Tale of the Boon - Epic fantasy whatsit, currently on hiatus.
Viking Pipsqueak Productions Blog (under construction)

I occasionally frequently draw other people's characters. Now offering delinquentization, medievalization, and cyborgification. Hit me up in PM if you want sprites for your KN or non-ren'ai VN.

EVEN IF THE TENDONS OF MY THUMBS TEAR INTO NOTHINGNESS, EVEN IF I GO NEARSIGHTED FROM STARING TOO HARD AT THE SCREEN, EVEN IF MY BODY IS CLOSE TO COLLAPSE FROM THE 72 HOURS I HAVE GONE WITHOUT FOOD! I WILL DEFEAT YOU!

Snow Blossom
Veteran

#6 Post by Snow Blossom »

I think that it's interesting to have a villain who can't help him/herself. The type of person who can't help acting one way, even though he/she regrets it later and ends up digging his/her own grave. Also, for me, a really important factor of my attitude towards a villain is his/her motivation for being "evil." It's easier to understand and therefore like a villain whose motivation is, let's say, revenge, compared to one who wants to kill everyone just because blood looks like liquefied rubies. So yeah, personality is very important. And fashion sense. Xd

gaoldart
Regular

#7 Post by gaoldart »

The problem is... if you put too many freudian excuses (Must... not... link...) then the villian gets annoying. So yeah, "Because my mom hated me" is a valid reason but "My mom hated me, my dad punched me and my dog bit me"... get on your nerves...

...on a second thought, that's a cool idea for a villian that you want people to hate
Bashing my head against the computer desk while programming since march 2011, and so far no brain damashii nanananananananana katamari damashii

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#8 Post by LVUER »

It's not all about personality what makes a character interesting, memorable, and believe-able. There's also a background story, a goal, a motive, and so on.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

gaoldart
Regular

#9 Post by gaoldart »

Yes, you are right.

Snow Blossom
Veteran

#10 Post by Snow Blossom »

gaoldart wrote:So yeah, "Because my mom hated me" is a valid reason but "My mom hated me, my dad punched me and my dog bit me"... get on your nerves...
That would be such a hilariously wimpy, cry-baby villain. XD

Kura
Regular
Completed: Chasing the Sun
Projects: RESET

#11 Post by Kura »

I'm a bit lost as to what we're comparing personality against. To me, personality is pretty much everything about a character except for what they look like: their preferences, motives, biases, choices... so when we refer to personality as "this side of a character," what do we mean by personality, or, what else defines a character aside from personality?
Devblog :: Kura's VN Projects and Resources
Complete Chasing the Sun [a meditation on light] :: In Progress RESET [guilt, love, existentialism, and video games]