Why do you write?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
DragoonHP
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Christmas
IRC Nick: DragoonHP

Why do you write?

#1 Post by DragoonHP »

Well... somewhat of a random question... :-p

Just some moments ago (while I was eating and thinking about NaNoWriMo), a strange question popped in my mind, why do I write?

Well, and I though it would be cool to know why does others write?
Do you write for fun or is it your hobby... or perhaps a way to take out pent-up feelings?
Or maybe something else?

Please share your thoughts...

And before I forget, I write for the thrill of it... :-p, nothing but pure thrill...
That's one of the reasons why I don't plan... planning anything out just takes the thrill out... if you get what I mean...

MiSi
Veteran
Completed: Santa
Projects: On Grey Wings, The Master's Call, Shadowborn ...while having many more in mind ;)

Re: Why do you write?

#2 Post by MiSi »

I'm writing, because I detected this talent in 7th grade... and it's always fun to create more and more characters, stories or whatever...

The second reason for me to write: I never find the stories I want to read... so I thought, I have to write them myself. Think, this works out quite well ;)

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#3 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

When I do write, I do it for the same reason I draw. I want to give physical form to my thoughts and stories so that I can share them with others because it makes me happy to create. What's the point in keeping them to myself in my head?
Last edited by Auro-Cyanide on Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Desu_Cake
Veteran
Projects: Secret, Secret and Secret

#4 Post by Desu_Cake »

Because it's fun! *shot*
Because it lets me cement my ideas, regardless of whether I want to share them.

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

#5 Post by SilverxBlue »

Because I want to. 'nuff said. XD

I love to read but I wasn't really in to writing when I was in my Junior Year, but then the school librarian put up a single quote that really inspired me.

"If there's a book you really want to read but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it."

And I have been writing ever since. XD
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

ScottySeng
Regular
Completed: May-Chan
Projects: Fairy Tale, What do you see

#6 Post by ScottySeng »

I'm an artist, but I think using words is another way of expressing emotions and how I see the world. Also, it's to make stories that I want to read.

Endorphin
Veteran

#7 Post by Endorphin »

Because not to write was never an opinion.
Or rather... it just happens. =o
So many things happen, so many stories build themselves - with time, you just automatically write them down so that you won't forget them.
Ironically, I don't write stories that I'd like to read.
It's just that things never turn out the way I expected them to, just like my oh-so-predictable-shojo-manga-school-kawaii-whatever-insert-other-nonsense-here otome turned out into the game it is now - full of symbolic stuff and other things that the player normally isn't interested in.
I just wanted to make a normal otome in school that's just cute and fluffy and stuff. D,:
Ands the same thing happens with all my other projects and my shortstories. ^^"

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#8 Post by azureXtwilight »

Because if I don't, the idea will claw me from inside, ripping my brain apart until--

Oh wait.

Because if I don't, I will be uneasy! Plus, writing is fun! It's kind of a hobby.

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

#9 Post by Camille »

I've loved writing since I was in elementary school. I like to build worlds and express the stories that result from my overactive imagination. I enjoy my stories enough on my own, but I think being able to share them brings life to them, you know? Not writing was never an option for me.

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

#10 Post by Mink »

Because if Smeyer can be successful at it, clearly anyone can.

Because A) I think it's fun, and B) I also do it when I get bored so that I can at least be productive. Oh, and C) I'm someone who's fond of satire and deconstructions, and there are sooo many things I'm bitchy highly opinionated about.

Most of them are for the good of mankind, I swear!
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*

PenDragyn
Projects: Insanity: Embrace the Madness
Organization: 13

#11 Post by PenDragyn »

I write because I am bored.

Actually, as weird as it sounds, I write according to my mood. Characters correlating with my mood pop up in my head, and I feel an almost compulsive need to write about them. And the story just writes itself. Yea.

Like, right now I'm writing two different novels, and one visual novel.
-One novel I write only when I'm in a dark sardonic mood. :twisted:
-One novel I write when I'm in a adventuress bold mood. 8)
-And this Visual Novel... Well... Long story short- only when I'm feeling insane, whimsical, obscure, drunk, sick in the head, ect. :P :mrgreen:

Oh and the music I'm listening to helps set the 'tone' of my writing. I never write without background music. Yep. Anyways.... Back to my VN!

Miyuki
Regular
Completed: Culina: The Spirit of Cooking
Organization: TangerineTriangle

#12 Post by Miyuki »

I write because I can I guess?

I've been the type of person who loves to tell stories to people. This includes books, manga, or fanfiction I've read recently and even just ideas for fanfiction or original stories that I've had. I can talk about pretty much anything and I love trying to make my interests sound interesting to other people.

This makes me well suited to storytelling, but I feel like if I really want to be a storyteller I should be a story writer as well. I have a large imagination and I write maybe 2% of the ideas in my head, but I feel like if I can write anything at all then I'm that much closer to being able to tell stories to more people.

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#13 Post by Fawn »

because I love using struck out text for comic relief while expressing my inner thoughts so people won't get "mad" at me

Haha, poking fun aside....

I honestly hate writing. I write way too much and it end up sounding like an essay (I wonder why, it couldn't have been all the advanced english classes I took in high school...).

But writing in general is a necessary skill for life... i meen, hoo wud t8k sum1 hoo t@ks lik dis srsly? You need to be able to write properly for most well paying jobs, and it's just a lot easier to communicate...

Snow Blossom
Veteran

#14 Post by Snow Blossom »

Because I have way too many ideas for my own good and if I don't record them on paper or the computer, I end up forcing myself to memorize them and in the end my brain will explode. Seriously though, everything but that last part is true (and that is still yet to be tested). Also because it makes me forget everything else? I get so absorbed with my characters that I end up feeling what they feel and essentially worry about their problems rather than mine. Is this an escape? Perhaps, on some level. But is it nothing more than that? No. Through writing, I get to experience new emotions, explore my view of human psychology, and as a result find solutions to my own problems.

Himekinori
Regular

#15 Post by Himekinori »

I write to pour my thoughts into paper. :D (helps me when i am stressed)