Using CC license music for free VN?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more
Projects: Fateful Encounter, Operation: Magic Hero
Organization: Tofu Sheets Visual
Deviantart: kokoro-hane
itch: tofu-sheets-visual

Using CC license music for free VN?

#1 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Hello!

Through the forums here, I discovered the wonderful site Jamendo that has music under the Creative Commons license. Anyway... for the most part, it seems I am free to use it as long as I credit them. Many of the ones I like under the CC license does not want it for commercial use. Now the visual novel I plan to make will be distributed FOR FREE. I mean, even if I burn it to disc for the artist alley of an anime con, I plan to just GIVE THEM AWAY, not at all charging for the work ('cause I know everybody loves free stuff). Already the sprites and backgrounds I am using are many of the free-to-use stuff that I discovered here, and is allowed as long as it's 'non-commercial'. Anyway, since you guys are more experienced, and I have yet to release a VN to the public, I was wandering if my VN falls under non-commercial, since it'll be distributed for free, whether by download here, or even on a burnt disc (since I'd be just handing 'em out or say 'take one').

Anyway, thankies! I just wanna know so I don't get in trouble by not knowing the rules, or terms of the license.

droopy
Projects: things just for fun

Re: Using CC license music for free VN?

#2 Post by droopy »

I'm not 100% sure and this stuff may be different in different countries but I would guess that "noncommercial" means anything you don't directly earn money from? If that's so then obviously you don't earn money by giving stuff away so that should be fine... the only difference I can see in online download versus burned CDs is that you lose money on having to get the discs :P
If you are really not sure you could also try to contact the musical artists and ask them if they mind or not.

Endorphin
Veteran

#3 Post by Endorphin »

Well, the license says it all, doesn't it?
I use music from Jamendo in every game I make, and as long as you look at the license and it says you can use it as long as you're not making any profite from it, you can use it.
Just don't forget to credit them - this way you also advertise for them and their work got honored.

(Once you want to sell your game - well, that'll be different. The license will cost pretty much. =/)

Good luck with your VN. <3

- Ryouko

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more

#4 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Alrighty, thanks guys!

Yeah, most of the music I have gotten from Jamendo say "not for commercial use" and "give credit", I just wanted to make sure I was understanding the license properly. And I don't intend to sell this game at all. Whether physical or digital release, there will be no charge.

Crusher
Regular

#5 Post by Crusher »

Be aware though: Even asking for donations can already be enough to give you problems with that. As long as you do everything without any possibility of getting money for it you should be fine though, as already mentioned.

cosmo
Regular
Projects: | ZUKUNFT | Wayang Kulit - A Shadow Play (WIP version 0.1) |

#6 Post by cosmo »

I would like to add that asking the amount of money back that you invested you should be fine, too. (Like: some Cent that you spent for the CDs and envelope as long as you won't earn money.)

Additionally - or if you are unsure - you can ask the owner of the copyright for your case:
The Creative Commons license has been made to make it easier to USE copyrighted material without asking!
But you are always free and able to ask for a special permission.
Project: Wayang Kulit - A Shadow Play
Status: First demo version "Proof of Concept" of my first project is out.

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Kokoro Hane »

^ Okay, thanks you two! That's very helpful. Donations? XD!! Nah, I wasn't even planning to ask for any of those. I literally do want to give out this free VN out of the kindness of my heart, even if the discs are at a loss to me (I can probably make up for it out of my non-related to the VN stuff, like my manga prints and fanart prints).
PROJECTS:
Operation: Magic Hero [WiP]
Piece By Piece [COMPLETE][Spooktober VN '20]
RE/COUNT RE:VERSE [COMPLETE][RPG]
Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [COMPLETE][NaNoRenO2020+]
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

But dear God, You're the only North Star I would follow this far
Owl City "Galaxies"