Is 5 POVs too many?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
ImmortalDreams
Regular

Is 5 POVs too many?

#1 Post by ImmortalDreams »

I want to make a fantasy VN(not KN) that has multiple POVs to get the most out of my story. I'm basing this after a novel I never finished and it had 5 POV characters.

Three of them travel together for much of the story. One of those three is the MC who is a thirteen year old girl with very dangerous powers. The other two are adults that are protecting her. I want those two to be view point characters because they can develop a romantic relationship(forbidden love theme).

The fourth POV character is a princess that lives in the capital of the Light Realm. She has her own romance going on. She's important because through her eyes you can see the power struggle, politics, and fast approaching war.

The fifth character is the MC's mother and, depending on events, her POV time comes a little later.

As you can see this is a lot of characters and a very complicated story. Would it be too overwhelming for a VN player? Or would they enjoy it?

Any insight would be very welcome. Thank you.
Back after five years. My old "art" on here makes me cringe. I can actually draw now. ;)

tuna_sushi
Veteran
Projects: BloomingBlossoms

Re: Is 5 POVs too many?

#2 Post by tuna_sushi »

If you keep them really organized, it wouldn't be so confusing for the readers.

ShirakiHime
Regular
Projects: Mermaid Revelation (GxB otome)

#3 Post by ShirakiHime »

if you can organize it well, then its not too many :3

Rewritten Ennui
Veteran
Organization: TwinTurtle Games

#4 Post by Rewritten Ennui »

If I may cite light novels/animes that do this, Baccano! and Durarara!! both are told from many different perspectives. At first all the character viewpoints seem to be unrelated, but further into the story reveals they are all connected to each other. Some events are merely witnessed in one POV, while the same events are explained in another POV. Once everything comes together, the end result is really satisfying to the audience. Complicated and confusing, yes, but very memorable at the same time. If you think that you're capable of keeping track of such a complex story line, then I say go for it.

Also, there's a WIP that's being made in 4 different POVs. That's one less than yours, but it's shaping up to be quite nice :D
I've swapped accounts to CheeryMoya, so this account is no longer in use. Refer to the new account if you want to contact me.

Twinturtle Games Website

Desu_Cake
Veteran
Projects: Secret, Secret and Secret

#5 Post by Desu_Cake »

If you don't want to have so many, you could always write in third person. It can feel less jarring when the character switches then. That said, I see nothing wrong with having 5 POVs, just throwing the option out there.

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#6 Post by sake-bento »

As long as they're distinct and different people, it's fine with me.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#7 Post by azureXtwilight »

Before requiem is 10 POVs... *shot*

To differentiate, making different textboxes on each POVs really helps, and third person to the rescue! :D

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

#8 Post by Gear »

My current project has five POV's. The game is divided up into chapters, and I put up a splash screen between chapters that shows which character is going to be the PC.
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#9 Post by Taleweaver »

Nah, 5 POVs isn't too many. My current project has 16.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

ImmortalDreams
Regular

#10 Post by ImmortalDreams »

Thanks for all the input!

I think I'll do my VN with chapters but have a UI feature that allows the player to switch between POV's whenever he/she wants to.
Back after five years. My old "art" on here makes me cringe. I can actually draw now. ;)