Bram Stoker's Dracula has potential for dating sim.

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
kudzuko

Bram Stoker's Dracula has potential for dating sim.

#1 Post by kudzuko »

hi everyone i've read the classic novel Dracula by Bram Stoker and i thought i could do a dating sim based off it. the problem i'm having is what is the fine line between copywright and fanwork and i'm having trouble fitting dracula in as a romance option with the other guys. Does the copyright really matter if the game is for free and i'm not making money off it? i just wan't to make it for the heck of it. i never done this before

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

Re: Bram Stoker's Dracula has potential for dating sim.

#2 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

I think, and I could be wrong, but I think Dracula has well and truly fallen into public domain.

Aileo
Regular
Projects: Unnamed short project
Organization: [ctrl] + minds

#3 Post by Aileo »

The novel is in the public domain. I will look forward to whatever you do with it, so good luck!

Veniae
Veteran

#4 Post by Veniae »

This is a good idea! I look forward to your realising this project. (:

Desu_Cake
Veteran
Projects: Secret, Secret and Secret

#5 Post by Desu_Cake »

Dammit you stole my idea! *shot*
Well, not really, mine was just going to be a retelling, and I probably wouldn't have done it anyway.
Good luck with it!

kudzuko

#6 Post by kudzuko »

well so far i have have seven pages of dialog written. what i am still trying to figure out where to put choices and how that should effect the out come

ludeshka
Veteran
Completed: Hierofanía / Next Door Taker/Rhyme or Reason /Hierofanía 2
Projects: Hierofanía 3 (I swear it's the last one)
Tumblr: sillyraccoonknight
Deviantart: ludeshka
itch: ludeshka

#7 Post by ludeshka »

Do you play as Mina or Lucy?
Is Dr. Seward one of the obtainables? And you can't possibly be thinking of leaving Quincey Morris out, can you? XDDD

*Ahem* I mean, yes, why, I do think it has potential for a dating sim.

IonicMomo
Regular
Completed: Mail Order Bride
Projects: Untitled GxB game

#8 Post by IonicMomo »

ludeshka wrote:Do you play as Mina or Lucy?
Is Dr. Seward one of the obtainables? And you can't possibly be thinking of leaving Quincey Morris out, can you? XDDD
Lucy would probably make the most sense, as she's the one with all the suitors. But she also drives me nuts half the time, so it had better be Mina. Besides, it's no fun when everyone just falls in love with you left and right, without your having to lift a finger. :P

Of course, the choice is up to you, kudzuko.
Current Project: Untitled GxB Game, Untitled NaNoRenO 2011
Completed Projects: Mail Order Bride

kudzuko

#9 Post by kudzuko »

I did give a lot of thought as to who the main character would be. at first i thought Lucy but this idea was scraped because i couldn't get into the character. I got a little further with Mina giving her more of a background but i scraped that idea realizing the her new background wouldn't matter with the main story. finally i thought WHAT IF Van Helsing had a daughter however they are not close. (in then book Van helsings wife is insane in an annotated version of the book the cause for her insanity it because their son died) Van Helsing is too scared to get close to his daughter given what has happened. And the daughter is angry with both parents She decides that after schooling she will go no a nunnery in Budapest. her father seems fine with this arrangement a nunnery would protect her (from the undead) untill he could marry her off (she doesn't want to get married given how her parents marriage is). the story starts here Jonathan Harker stumbles into the nunnery (after his ordeal with Dracula) while Van helising's daughter is nursing him she finds and reads his journal thus she uncovers a sinister plot she has to put an end to. i haven’t thought a name for her yet any ideas? Maybe something Quincy could give her a nick name to

Soraminako
Veteran
Projects: A thingie without a title. With messy code.

#10 Post by Soraminako »

I think it has potential, but with a classic like that I would think (imho) that it would be more enjoyable with the original cast and no major additions.

I'm not saying your heroine would become a Mary Sue, but it might be the first thought of people who hear about a Dracula VN with an original girl protagonist.
It might turn people off of playing it before they even look into it more or decide for themselves if they would be interested or not.

Again imho, if it was me I'd do it with Lucy and Mina as the two main characters, and you can pick one or the other as the player character. That was it also has additional replay value since the choices and routes would be so different.
(I drew my avatar especially to express the scary feeling I get from the code as I type it... XD)

kudzuko

#11 Post by kudzuko »

hmm you may have a point i dont want people thinking mary sue maybe i could write for all three girls giving the option at the begining telling the plot from their point of view