Man hair!

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Kura
Regular
Completed: Chasing the Sun
Projects: RESET

Re: For straight women and gay men

#31 Post by Kura »

If you're set on pulling off a character long hair, keep in mind that there are lots of different "looks" that long hair can work with: compare Antonio Banderas vs. Tuomas Holopainen vs. Kurt Cobain.
If one attempt at long hair is looking odd, try totally changing up the style. Or look through things like this website or this website to see if you can find even one long hairstyle that looks somewhat agreeable to you.

I'll also throw in that I'm a huge fan of guys with curly hair, whether short or long. Robert Plant had the best hair I've seen on a man anyone, though!
Devblog :: Kura's VN Projects and Resources
Complete Chasing the Sun [a meditation on light] :: In Progress RESET [guilt, love, existentialism, and video games]

narusasu
Completed: N/A
Projects: N/A

#32 Post by narusasu »

Depends on how he dresses in my opinion. Guys who wear sporty stuff usually look best with short sporty styled haircuts while more upscale men may look better with long hair tied back in ponytails. (maybe the bangs are slightly curled?) If they have a baby face and glasses, give them longer bangs. If he has a masculine face and glasses, short hair. I usually like medium length haircuts in general though. I say a medium cut with layers, waxed slightly on the ends usually ups the cool factor for me : D

LadyAvori
Regular

#33 Post by LadyAvori »

Aleema wrote:ME LIKE TOPIC. HAIR GOOD.

I like ponytails in general, but I have a HUGE lady boner for high ponytails (top of the head). Most commonly seen in ancient Chinese and Japanese hairstyles, but for some reason, they drive me wild:
So, that's my absolutely favorite hairstyle, but I don't know if a modern guy could pull it off. In regards to personality, those 2 characters I posted are really playful, silly guys. So it probably implies a "freebird" sensibility.

In general, I do like long hair, though. Perhaps that is fantastical dreaming, since most modern guys keep theirs short. But if I go to a Renaissance fair, for example, I'm in Happy City™.

I don't mind, even like and prefer, facial hair (so long as it's not a fully grown beard or mustache; those make a guy look way older and out of my dating pool), and it also looks ten times better with long hair. Stubble is very masculine, in my opinion.

And I die, die, die for sideburns! I even love muttonchops because they're just huge sideburns. :mrgreen: Nothing makes you instant-sexy to me than sideburns.

Also: bangs. Floppy bangs are what make a lot of hairstyles handsome, I believe. So even bowl-cuts can be awesome.

All that said, I can't think of a hairstyle I don't like. I can find beauty in them all, even when shaven. What bothers me, though, is when everyone has the same hairstyle. And I'm not just talking games, in real life I find a lot of boys are almost militaristic in sharing the same cut. That would be the only case where I would be bothered by hairstyle.

Balding is another story, and I'm generally okay with receding hairlines, and if you're setting your game in Ancient Japan where they had to shave their head, I'm okay with it. If you are constructing a dateable character in any other setting, it would be best to completely avoid bald spots. Or is that just common knowledge? =P

Edit: Don't you think the title of the thread should reflect the topic at hand? Mention hair at least!
^ This.....very much...I loves high pony tails on guys, and I watch period pieces just for the mutton chops :oops:

But I'm a fan of hair in all its lengths, colors and styles.

Keilis
Regular

Re: Man hair!

#34 Post by Keilis »

For me, any hair works. Any. As long as it's not multicoloured or ridiculously saturated in colour, I'm good. Art style really does have an impact on hair, though; it's what communicates the hair's features to the audience.

For example, let's take generic short hair with bangs:
Pretty OK-looking. Nothing special.

Now, let's change the art style. Add a few layers of shading and lighting to his hair...
ImageImage
Much better. More emphasis on the shine of the hair, the layering of the hair, and colouring feels much more interesting than before, despite it still being black.

It's all about presentation for me. ;)
Last edited by Keilis on Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

#35 Post by HigurashiKira »

I think I'm one of the few who likes guys with short hair. A guy with long hair usually reminds me of someone who is nitpicky and has an inflated ego, since they believe that having fabulous hair makes them better than everyone. To me, all it does is make me mistake them for women :|
I have moved to a new account. Please contact me here from now on. T/Y~

realaniram
Regular
Projects: Shaeyu jun Ikkshaelun

#36 Post by realaniram »

Let's see, well... When it's done right I like a guy with long hair, like the Jins from Harvest Moon and Samurai Champloo (who basically look the same lol). But with long hair, I mostly like it best with glasses (I have a fetish :3).

However, I have to say that Alistair is a sexy beast. Although it could be because he's got that little bit of stubble, which sort of rounds off his whole look, if you know what I mean.

OH! But for bald characters, I have the biggest crush on Yasu from Nana. He and Aang from Last Airbender are the only ones I can think of that look best without hair (in my humble opinion).
Shaeyu jun Ikkshaelun-- A work in progress.

Forever Newb

Elze
Veteran
Tumblr: Poepii

#37 Post by Elze »

@ keilis: I think those examples are medium hair length though. For me, medium hair length is when the bangs are slightly covering the eyes, and there's enough hair to at least graze the collar, which means it sort of covers the neck. Since the TS said 'crew cut', I think his idea of short hair is more like something like this:
or
or at most, something like this:

Personally, I like medium hair length best. I'm not very fond of hair with bangs that aren't long enough to touch the eyes haha. There's just something about the way hair falls over the eyes that really attract me, even in real life.

Glasskitten
Regular
Completed: I confess to nothing! \(>o<)/

#38 Post by Glasskitten »

I hereby decree that all bipeds must have swishy hair between eyebrow- and ankle-length, regardless of gender, age, or species. (Yes, this includes velociraptors. Just because they're hairless reptiles doesn't exempt them from fashion! \(>,<)/ )
Grand list of things not officially canceled:
Salt -- the heartwarming story of brain-eating space worms
Tangent -- an epic poem and/or novel about a borderline-autistic Martian imp and her relationship with God
Kittens of the Darned -- a grimdark soap opera about sexy catgirls (Indefinitely postponed until I learn to draw and color realistically)
The Other Mary -- the most perfect fic about the most perfect Mary Sue EVER
Rockheart -- a short story about a monster who kills everyone
Corrupted -- a completely different short story about a monster who kills everyone (late Worst Visual Novel Ever)
Checkpoint 36a -- the transcription of a short multi-ending dream about time travel and undead schoolgirls
In Which the Princess is Kidnapped -- an entry in the "ordinary girl ends up in an alien universe and tries to save it" genre
Pictogram Scramble: Magical Friendship Bunny Ivy -- a Flash game about a magical girl making friends (Indefinitely postponed until I learn how friendship works)

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

#39 Post by Gear »

Well, damn it. Looks like I'll have to redo the velociraptors in my game.
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

PrettieAngel
Regular
Projects: Aurora Spirit

#40 Post by PrettieAngel »

Personally, I pretty much always find guys with long hair more attractive, with at least shoulder length. I also think that long hair can work for almost any type of character, regardless of personality. However, as others have mentioned, style and colour really do have an affect on the way a character is presented and can be the difference between a guy looking 'hot' or just 'cute'. Males with carefully styled long hair, or long hair that looks like it's actually long on purpose, often come across to me as more sophisticated and when paired with a tuxedo, in my opinion looks absolutely gorgeous (though the specific style should match the character's other attributes). Long hair that's unkempt looking gives the impression that the character doesn't really care much though, and it's only long due to this. This can be something that puts me off a character, as I often don't really like the carefree, relaxed ones.

Ulin207
Projects: Aurora Spirit

#41 Post by Ulin207 »

I apologise if you were looking for a unanimous answer but I also believe short hair looks the best for "hot" men. Though I think it also depends on facial structure, generally plays a part. I do really like crew cuts on men (however I don't like buzz cuts), especially if they have facial hair and are generally a masculine build. This isn't saying that I don't find longer hair attractive, more that I don't like realistic long-for-a-man length hair. If it's overly long, it can work depending on style. For "handsome" men, I generally think gelled back with a side parting. Medium length hair can work for me if done like this, provided and fringe is gelled either away from the face, or so it sticks "forward" rather than clinging to the forehead.

A general rule for me to find a hairstyle attractive on a man is that it shouldn't extend much beyond, or onto the face at the sides. There shouldn't be much volume around the face. I also dislike most types of fringes/bangs that hide the forehead, and find man's hair much more appealing if you can see the majority, if not all, of his hairline.
Last edited by Ulin207 on Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

#42 Post by HigurashiKira »

Ulin207 wrote:I apologise if you were looking for a unanimous answer but I also believe short hair looks the best for "hot" or men.

I believe Ulin explained it perfectly :D
I have moved to a new account. Please contact me here from now on. T/Y~

Pyonkotchi
Veteran
Projects: Magical Warrior Diamond Heart, unLucky Love, Phantom Thief Asterism
Tumblr: magicalwarriordiamondheart
Deviantart: PastelPyon
itch: Pyonkotchi

#43 Post by Pyonkotchi »

i have the hugest fetish for long hair.
seriously. I think I'm physically incapable of drawing men with short hair . xD
/kidding /kinda

i generally prefer no longer than shoulder length but some guys could look pretty rockin with long long hair ;u;
i im not really picky either I love ~all~ long hair. Curly, straight, let down, a high ponytail, a messy one, a neat one,
I like them all <u>

Lennonhead
Regular
Projects: "Hinomaru", "I'm Not His Friend"

#44 Post by Lennonhead »

I will only accept long hair if whoever has it is a 70's rocker of some sort.

Beatle cuts are the best hairdo, so I guess that's inbetween short/medium.

JustAnotherMe
Veteran
Projects: Kuro no Chou; 0.3 Second Lunch

#45 Post by JustAnotherMe »

I find short hair is sexy for the masculine type of guy. Especially if he's wet. >/////<
But a really long hair one could be sexy too. I mean, I like to brush it with my finger and... I'll stop here

And above all, a not too tidy hair. I especially like a rather messy hair. Not too messy that everyone will start to think he's dirty and lazy to take care of his looks.
You are bigger than what you think but smaller than you can imagine.
0.3 second lunch