What do you think about romance-horror game?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Clouds

Re: What do you think about romance-horror game?

#16 Post by Clouds » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:28 pm

How coincidental that this is the exact type of game I'd love to create.. and also play!
My opinion won't help you much though, since I'm okay with some pretty gruesome stuff... :/

ThirstingHeart
Regular
Projects: Nothing yet, though I'm more likely to do art then make a game itself.
Organization: Moose Cake Productions

#17 Post by ThirstingHeart » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:16 pm

I'd love to see some horror Otome. I've been playing "Corpse Party" on my PSP and it if had romance in it to I think it would be the most awesome game ever.
========================================================================
I will draw free character sprites for otome games that are 100% scripted and non-commercial.
========================================================================

HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

#18 Post by HigurashiKira » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:27 pm

ThirstingHeart wrote:I'd love to see some horror Otome. I've been playing "Corpse Party" on my PSP and it if had romance in it to I think it would be the most awesome game ever.
It does have romance (Satoshi/Ayumi/Yoshiki/Naomi/Seiko love dodcahedron) it's just not a central part of the plot.

And a problem with having a horror otome game is that they rely heavily on character interaction while horror relies much in the atmosphere and, well, terror (Corpse Party is a good example: while it has good character interaction, they are much more focused on saving themselves than pursuing a love interest, which is the general focus in an otome game) That's why most romance plots in horror movies are usually poorly recieved, since there is not enough buildup to the characters getting together.
I have moved to a new account. Please contact me here from now on. T/Y~

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#19 Post by papillon » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:32 pm

they are much more focused on saving themselves than pursuing a love interest
On the other hand life-or-death situations gives you plenty of chances for your love interest to dramtically rescue you, hold you comfortingly while you tremble in fear, and attempt to sacrifice emself to save you. Which you, of course, won't allow, and will kick as much ass as necessary in order to get your happy ending.

JustAnotherMe
Veteran
Projects: Kuro no Chou; 0.3 Second Lunch

#20 Post by JustAnotherMe » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:55 pm

Ahahahaha!! I really work hard to get the feelings of horror and romance to balance out. While there are still romance in the main story, but alas the romance isn't oh so lovey dovey princess like (though I want to give some fan services XDDD). The horror is the main story too, and the romance is the main story too. In fact, the romance and the horror aspect is supporting each other. There are mystery behind mystery, and survival too. (I don't want to spoil anything. Noooo, hold it my fingers!! Don't write any spoiler!!) I hope it will satisfy me as I hope it will satisfy you all XD (This thing gonna be a really big project with big story... I hope I can make it flow satisfyingly... *pray)

though I really need to have more time for this thing. I really, really need much MUCH more time.
You are bigger than what you think but smaller than you can imagine.
0.3 second lunch

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#21 Post by Sapphi » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:05 am

JustAnotherMe wrote:Noooo, hold it my fingers!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh man, I just wanted to tell you that's one of the funniest expressions I've ever heard. You just made my night!

And now, to be on topic, I don't know how a romance horror game can exist. Or at least, I don't know how I could write one. It seems that sentimental feelings and adrenalin rushes wouldn't really mix well.
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

JustAnotherMe
Veteran
Projects: Kuro no Chou; 0.3 Second Lunch

#22 Post by JustAnotherMe » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:19 am

srsly, I need to discipline my fingers to synchronize with my brain. :x

It's probably will end up like x-note. I hope. Though it would be longer and filled with more horror rather than supernatural and insane people and dead people. (I'm sorry X-note is just so good >_<)
You are bigger than what you think but smaller than you can imagine.
0.3 second lunch

purple_pockets
Regular

#23 Post by purple_pockets » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:57 pm

Personally, I cannot stand games with an age restriction type rating. I do appreciate a synopsis that casually mentions what to expect, for example "may contain lots and lots of unrestricted violence" is not as good of a warning as a description saying "After <insert name here> kills <blah blah blah> she does <insert heinous act here>. I become especially curious if something is rated 18+, and doesn't list why, because I know for a fact that people have different standards and tolerances for what constitutes what rating. For example, if that 18+ game was a hentai type game, I would immediately get away from that webpage as fast as I could. If it contained lots of violence, I would probably want to get started even faster.
Anyways, I think that a horror/romance would be awesome. Sounds really cool! 8)
A teenager's favorite phrase:
No sé y no me importa.
Translation: I don't know and I don't care

Skye
Projects: -to be revealed at a later date-
Organization: Skye Studios

#24 Post by Skye » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:18 pm

This is my favorite genre! I support this 100%. (: I really hope that you pull it off.

MoPark
Regular
Projects: Kangaroo, Terminal Love

#25 Post by MoPark » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:33 pm

Dating zombies has been a dream of mine since I was a wee lad growing up on the farm. I say go for it, and have fun with it!