How to edit a game?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
reiward

How to edit a game?

#1 Post by reiward »

Hi, I currently have a dating sim game with me which a freelancer coded for me. I wanted to edit the graphics, would that be easy to do? I'll just be changing the characters and background.. What program to use? Thanks

JustAnotherMe
Veteran
Projects: Kuro no Chou; 0.3 Second Lunch

Re: How to edit a game?

#2 Post by JustAnotherMe »

Usually either we draw the bgs and the characters (sprite) alone, or have an artist to draw them. You can look up at some tutorials on how to make sprites. You might want to make separate layer for mouth and eyes so you can edit the expression easily. As for bgs, actually you can use the same bg, just edit them through photoshop so you can make the time, like, in the morning, day, afternoon, night. I'm sure there's a tutorial for that too. And about the difficulty, it depends on your skill, experience, and style. If you want to make a realistic style of drawing, it sure is much harder than when you draw with just cell shading. It's good to see you making a game, so you'll get an experience on this too^^ (actually, I'm the same with you. I haven't yet to make my first game)

What I recommend for the software to draw is SAI and to edit and adding effects, photoshop. You can improve and make a thread on skill development thread so anyone would see your drawing and give opinions and some helpings.
You are bigger than what you think but smaller than you can imagine.
0.3 second lunch

reiward

#3 Post by reiward »

Oh I meant that I already have the new drawings with me, I want to change the old drawings. I have the .fla file of the flash game with me. How can I edit it? What program to use, since i have adobe flash but it lags so much >.<

Wright1000
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Finding A Murderer, Memory Loss, Crime Investigation, Stay away from the graveyard, Last Day at School, Lonesome, Email, Hired Gun, Dusk, Hired Gun 2, Man-at-arms, Hired Gun 3, The Phantom Caller, Street Girl, Free love, The Story of Isabel Claudia

#4 Post by Wright1000 »

Go to the folder where the images are stored. Just replace the old files with new ones. That's all.
He who doesn't care about the environment doesn't care about his grandchildren.

reiward

#5 Post by reiward »

Wright1000 wrote:Go to the folder where the images are stored. Just replace the old files with new ones. That's all.
Can you recommend a program? Also where would I find that folder? I only have the .fla of the game. Also I think I need to modify the sizes of the pictures because the new pics have different size compared to old...

Wright1000
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Finding A Murderer, Memory Loss, Crime Investigation, Stay away from the graveyard, Last Day at School, Lonesome, Email, Hired Gun, Dusk, Hired Gun 2, Man-at-arms, Hired Gun 3, The Phantom Caller, Street Girl, Free love, The Story of Isabel Claudia

#6 Post by Wright1000 »

I think JAM already made it clear. You need to use an image editing program like Photoshop.
And about where the files are stored, I will not know because the only engines I have used are Renpy and Novelty. I don't know where flash games store their files. But you can always search for the files yourself. Make it easier by hitting the search button.
And, if you don't know how to use Photoshop, there are lots of institutes that can teach you the basics of Photoshop in one or two months. It's not very costly, either. Try joining such an institute.
He who doesn't care about the environment doesn't care about his grandchildren.

sonone
Regular
Projects: Simdate Complex

#7 Post by sonone »

Hmm, I suggest that you learn at least the basics of the program first. It seems to me that you don't know how flash works...
Maybe try searching for tutorials?

http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&secti ... h+tutorial
http://madelief.deviantart.com/art/Flas ... orial&qo=0
http://www.google.com.ph/search?gcx=c&s ... h+tutorial