Why do you make Visual Novels?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
siluman_rubah

Re: Why do you make Visual Novels?

#46 Post by siluman_rubah »

well actually it's because i want to share the stories I write with another type of media (I made comic and write Novels)....

and in Visual Novel.. I can actually made the world according to my imagination.....

Colby Alighieri
Regular
Completed: [KN]Hope In The Morning(Willow's Dream Diary)
Projects: The Last Order: Black Wings
Organization: InsertNameHere Productions

#47 Post by Colby Alighieri »

I'll start at the beginning.

I'm a gamer and I've played a Dating Sim and the gameplay was interesting even with only reading and clicking stuff. I've always WANTED MORE of those style of games and I thought the category of text-based games are only called "Dating Sims sort-of-ish", so there. I was stuck hanging with dating sims because of the style. I even DREAMED of making some through Flash. But the program was too big and the coding was too much and I can't seem to handle it. So I gave up and only had fun with concepts...

Then I played a sample of Ace Attorney from my friend. "Oooh La La! Text! And... OOH!! Puzzle-solving!" But when I asked what's the game medium, she said its "Text Based". But I can't find games with a category like that! *scratches head*

Years went by until college. My friend was almost always talking about Visual Novels. I kinda felt pity for her because nobody could seem to relate so I tried to relate with her with the question, "What's a Visual Novel?"

She said it's "Text Based" and it has sprites. So I said a follow-up, "Like a Dating Sim? Sort of thing?" She answered it doesn't have to be... and drew what a visual novel looks like to answer another interested person beside her.

And that's where I received the epiphany (after 5 years). The game style that I liked was called "Visual Novels". Dating Sims were only subjects to it.

She introduced me Ren'Py along with other visual novels: Text, RE: Alistair, Ever 17 and Katawa Shojou. And after playing a few visual novels, I got around with the project The Last Order. I was encouraged because she started Vita En Terra.

Also, visual novels was another medium for me to storytelling. Making comics need a lot of time and drawing stuff and consistency... something I have no ability to do. Coding's simple enough and so I jumped in. After all, becoming a Game Maker is one of my dreams. I should start with something small, don't I?
Stagnant? Me too!
Send me a note to my dA Account and I'll see what I can do~!

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

#48 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

Playing visual novels (well made ones) feels like... stuff I wouldn't say in front of a young child.
I'm interested in creating my ideal visual novel, because that'll feel like stuff I wouldn't say in front of a grown adult.
<3
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.