Ogg files questions

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Mr. E
Regular

Ogg files questions

#1 Post by Mr. E »

Excuse me, but I have a few questions about ogg files. First, what program do you use to hear an ogg file? (I've been using Ren'Py but there must be a better way...). And second, do any of you know a good program that encodes wav into ogg EXACTLY ALIKE? I mean I've used two different encoders but while the wav version is ok the ogg version comes out like some broken jukebox tune...
I would really like to have music in my game, but if I have to choose between plinkty-plonkty music, or using huge wav files or not having music at all, well...
Much obliged

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#2 Post by Watercolorheart »

I used Audacity, hope this helps.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

It's default is setting for OGG is OGG-5, that's OK if you're not having TONS of spoken lines in your game.

It also encodes and opens MP3s and WAVs, provided you've downloaded the lame mp3 codec. (It's called L-A-M-E, it's not ... you know .... crappy!)

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/fa ... m=lame-mp3

Furthermore, it is absolutely free. <3
I'm not even the same person anymore

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by DaFool »

Not sure if this was the exact version im using now, but Oggdrop is good.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/audio ... ncoder.cfm

Generally I know my xmms on linux is more sensitive and is unashamed to show the crappiness in encoding, whereas my winamp is pretty forgiving.

I remember I did not specifically configure my music players to play ogg files, but if you are an avid anime fan and download the latest codecs to play mp4s or whatever, I'm pretty sure I had inadvertently installed additional codecs such as AAC at some point.

RedSlash
Veteran

#4 Post by RedSlash »

WinAMP plays ogg files. You may have to download a plugin if you didn't download the full bundle though.

Mr. E
Regular

#5 Post by Mr. E »

Ah! Success at last! Thanks for all the help, now I can consider putting music into my game again! Thanks again for the help.

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#6 Post by Watercolorheart »

One of the few things I could help with, I'm only too happy to. ^_^;
I'm not even the same person anymore