2 questions about background

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Kirarin

2 questions about background

#1 Post by Kirarin »

I was just searching some sites for backgrounds and i came accross this one: http://k-after.at.webry.info/
I tried translating it with google translate but I still don't really understand if the backgrounds are free to use (for non-commercial ofcourse) I really dont know that much about copyright and I dont want to take a risk using it.

Next question is if all of the backgrounds on bassnovel.com are free too, or maybe just some of them?

Im sorry for asking these supid questions -.-;; But I dont want to steal someones work ofcourse :)

Elze
Veteran
Tumblr: Poepii

Re: 2 questions about background

#2 Post by Elze »

Based on my limited japanese, I believe what's written at the top entails that the downloadable contents are free to use, with proper crediting and linking back to the homepage. I'm not sure if that pertains to all sources, but for each resource that's posted there, there's a tagline that comes with it. If you see the words "フリー" or "無料", that means it's free for use. If you don't see either of these words, I'd suggest not to use those resources. However, do note that for each resource, the original artist and his/her website url is listed, so you'll have to credit each artist individually, and not just credit this website alone.

Maybe someone with a better understanding of japanese could try to double check on this.

manga_otaku
Veteran
Completed: [KN] Saving Project: Blind? (Part One)

#3 Post by manga_otaku »

Kirarin wrote:Next question is if all of the backgrounds on bassnovel.com are free too, or maybe just some of them?
From what I've been hearing, all, if not most, of the backgrounds on Bassnovel are free and to be used only in non-commercial games. As long as you credit Bassnovel for providing the backgrounds then it's fine :)
Projects:
WIP|[KN] Day Of Reckoning|
Completed|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Part One|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Part Two|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Final Part|
Is available to help with proof-reading (Grammar freak...) Maybe voice-acting in the near future x]

leon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Visual Novel Tycoon, Night at the Hospital, Time Labyrinth, The Buried Moon, Left of Center, Super Otome Quest
Projects: Lemon Project, Porcelain Heart, Dream's Dénouement
Organization: Team ANARKY

#4 Post by leon »

Nice find, Kirarin!
manga_otaku wrote:
Kirarin wrote:Next question is if all of the backgrounds on bassnovel.com are free too, or maybe just some of them?
From what I've been hearing, all, if not most, of the backgrounds on Bassnovel are free and to be used only in non-commercial games. As long as you credit Bassnovel for providing the backgrounds then it's fine :)
I think the resources for Bassnovel are provided by its users. They should be free, but it's possible a few might be copyrighted. Just to be safe and to make sure you are crediting the original author, I would suggest you use Google Image Search function "Search by image" to find out where the image originally came from.
I found a few backgrounds that were from a website, that requests crediting them. Crediting Bassnovel, would be kind of like crediting Flickr or Deviantart, instead of the author.

JustAnotherMe
Veteran
Projects: Kuro no Chou; 0.3 Second Lunch

#5 Post by JustAnotherMe »

This is such a good finding!!!! I hope there's more like this ^^
And I already know how much I'll use. A lot.
You are bigger than what you think but smaller than you can imagine.
0.3 second lunch

Cidz
Veteran
Completed: The Forgetful Kiwi [NanoReno 2012], Papercut [NanoReno 2013]
Projects: Words Within Our Hearts, Papercut [NanoReno 2013]
Organization: Starlight Melodies
Tumblr: starlightmelodies
Deviantart: cidthekitty

#6 Post by Cidz »

oh wow how useful! theres alot of backgrounds i think i can use. but having to credit each artist might be hard i dont speak japanese. but they are the right size i need!

i found a bunch of backgrounds on bassnovel the problem is most of them were the wrong size i needed 800x600 at least and i dont know how to filter out or search for that size on bassnovel.

edit: nevermind! i can resize 640x480 into 800x600 in photoshop and it doesnt loose quality. horray!

Niki
Regular
Projects: Water's Edge
Organization: Etoranze

#7 Post by Niki »

According to the rules linked to on the first site (Kimagure After), the resources can be used for:
- personal use, communities and businesses
- 18+ personal use, communities and businesses
- commercial works
- HP, blogs or videos

In addition:
- editing/partial usage of the resources is okay
- linking directly to the resources is prohibited
- credit is not required
- you can choose to contact the webmaster if you wish

However, take note that not all sites (including those for music) allow you to edit/resize/trim the pictures/resources, and some require you to post a comment on their board (BBS or 掲示板) stating where and how you used their resources.

Hope I helped!
Image (devblog) || tumblr

Soraminako
Veteran
Projects: A thingie without a title. With messy code.

#8 Post by Soraminako »

That's a very popular free-resource artist in Japan. ^^ Their backgrounds are lovely.

I came to reply too but saw that Niki had already said everything that needed to be said.
And here's the direct link to the artist's resource rules: http://www5d.biglobe.ne.jp/~gakai/sozai/SO_kiyaku.html (It's what Niki said, but with the link to it you can check it periodically to see if there are any changes.)

Please note that the free-for-use resources are only the stuff in the link Kirarin gave in the first post. ( http://k-after.at.webry.info/ )
The things in the main area of the site ( http://www5d.biglobe.ne.jp/~gakai/ ) in posts talking about the stuff they make for sale etc., are not free-resources.
(I drew my avatar especially to express the scary feeling I get from the code as I type it... XD)