The Help with Foreign language Thread

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Morhighan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: AIdol, When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten Not Lost
Organization: MysteryCorgi
Tumblr: MysteryCorgi
Deviantart: MysteryCorgi
Soundcloud: MysteryCorgi
itch: MysteryCorgi

The Help with Foreign language Thread

#1 Post by Morhighan »

Hey there.

I've noticed that a lot of people tend to use titles in other languages here, and most of them get corrected by other members, or even chastised.
[I've looked around and I didn't see a similar thread, but if there is, feel free to point me to it and delete this one.]
The point of this thread is for people who need help with another language to receive assistance.

Anyway, I guess I'll start off.

I had an idea for a game with a Japanese Aesthetic. (A Japanese style visual novel? How original! lol) Normally I try to stay away from using languages I'm not familiar with, but I'm going to make an exception to my rule.

Now, I would go for an English title, but what I'm trying to express is a bit long in English.
What I'm going for is: "The Idol's name is false." [Sort of like the biblical "Beware of False Idols."] I want the title to have a sort of sad feeling to it.
The Characters I want to use are:
偶像 (ぐうぞう) - Basically "guuzou," which I think means image/idol/statue
偽名 (ぎめい) - basically "gimei" or "alias"
I'm having trouble finding a way to say "is false" or "that is false" or "isn't true" or "is a lie." If you have any ideas on how to express this in a linguistically correct way, please tell me.

For a character name or pseudonym in the same game, I was thinking about using "ぐうじんこ." Would this be a proper way to express the feeling/meaning "puppet child"? And following along with that, is 人形師 (にんぎょうし) proper for the term "doll maker"?

Thank you for your time.

If you need help with Latin, German, or American English, just ask me!
Also, if you need help with any other languages (for names or titles of games) just post here.

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

Re: The Help with Foreign language Thread

#2 Post by Camille »

偶像の偽名は嘘。
(Guuzou no gimei wa uso.)
(The idol's name is a lie.)

嘘(うそ)- "uso" = lie, falsehood

That should do it? I think it's kind of long in Japanese, too, though. D: (syllable-wise, it's longer in Japanese than your English equivalent) I didn't look up the other kanji you used, so assuming guuzou and gimei mean what you intend, then that should be correct. Another kanji/words for lie is 虚偽 (きょぎ), but that's really close to gimei, so it would be a little confusing.

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#3 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Well, I'm not much help on the Japanese part, but if you wanted to do your title in English with the same meaning but shorter and with more punch, you could go with:

"Alias of the Idol" or "Idol's Alias"

I assume you'll be writing in English, since you need help with the Japanese, so I'm presuming most of your players will speak English. So even if you come up with the "perfect" Japanese title, all people will do is refer to your game title by its English translation anyway. It is hard for people to remember titles and sentences in another language they don't speak, so they will just remember the translation in their head. Just a thought.

Morhighan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: AIdol, When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten Not Lost
Organization: MysteryCorgi
Tumblr: MysteryCorgi
Deviantart: MysteryCorgi
Soundcloud: MysteryCorgi
itch: MysteryCorgi

#4 Post by Morhighan »

That works. :)
We'll see what I ultimately decide--or if I even complete the project!
Thanks.

Niki
Regular
Projects: Water's Edge
Organization: Etoranze

#5 Post by Niki »

偽名 (gimei) means something along the lines of "fake name" or "false name"...
Hence if you stick with 偶像の偽名は嘘。-> the idol's false name is a lie
It's sort of like two negatives, so it's kind of convoluted ^^;
"偶像の名は嘘" (guuzou no na wa uso) might be better in this case, if you mean "name" not alias?
Hope I helped!! ><
Image (devblog) || tumblr

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#6 Post by lordcloudx »

We have had a similar thread from a former forum member, but I'll stop here since she didn't exactly leave under the best circumstances. (said thread http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =13&t=7723)

Protip: Google search actually works better than the in-built forum search most of the time.

edit: btw, I don't mean to discourage this particular thread from proceeding.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

HikkiPanda
Veteran
Projects: Marchioness' Teacup

#7 Post by HikkiPanda »

Any idea what is the japanese for a katana named "god killer"? It doesn't have to be the exact translation as long as it carries the similar meaning. Thanks in advance :D !

Edit: @Morhighan: how about using Aidoru for Idol? They're pretty common in anime

Joey
Regular

#8 Post by Joey »

I can't find a word for the "god killer" thing (I only know how to say "killing a god" lmao). >_<;

アイドル/aidoru/idol is only used in the J-pop star sense. I dunno if that's what Morhighan is trying to go for or not xD;
Image (devblog) || devtwitter | devtumblr

Niki
Regular

#9 Post by Niki »

@HikkiPanda
Hmm, I'm not too good with things like that but perhaps try something like 神殺剣 (shinsatsu-ken) or 神殺し (kami-koroshi) or 神之死 (kami-no-shi)... I know most old Japanese swords would use on-yomi, hence the latter two might be a bit too modern-sounding, I don't know >< But the first one sounds similar to 診察, which is...... yeah. (/_T ) Play around with kanji and string them together until you get something nice-sounding? Or look here for a real katana which killed a god.

Hope I helped ><
Image (devblog) || tumblr

KimiYoriBaka
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Castle of Arhannia

#10 Post by KimiYoriBaka »

for "god killer," since it's a sword, possibly 神切 (which I assume would be pronouced "shingiri"). I don't know how that would sound to a japanese person, but I've seen a lot of cases where "cut" is used to mean "slay."

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#11 Post by lordcloudx »

How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

HikkiPanda
Veteran
Projects: Marchioness' Teacup

#12 Post by HikkiPanda »

Joey wrote:I can't find a word for the "god killer" thing (I only know how to say "killing a god" lmao). >_<;
Haha, at least you know something! I'm totally clueless lol XD
Niki wrote:@HikkiPanda
Hmm, I'm not too good with things like that but perhaps try something like 神殺剣 (shinsatsu-ken) or 神殺し (kami-koroshi) or 神之死 (kami-no-shi)... I know most old Japanese swords would use on-yomi, hence the latter two might be a bit too modern-sounding, I don't know >< But the first one sounds similar to 診察, which is...... yeah. (/_T ) Play around with kanji and string them together until you get something nice-sounding? Or look here for a real katana which killed a god.
According google translate 診察 means 'medical examiantion' x__X ... . how come!?! Even though shinsatsu-ken sounds cool >.< !!!

Thanks for the wiki link, hope I can learn something from it :D
KimiYoriBaka wrote:for "god killer," since it's a sword, possibly 神切 (which I assume would be pronouced "shingiri"). I don't know how that would sound to a japanese person, but I've seen a lot of cases where "cut" is used to mean "slay."
Thanks for the input! I'll consider this for the sword name :D
Thanks for the links! The second alternative sounds pretty cool :D