Best Way To Begin A Project

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
CombatEye
Regular

Best Way To Begin A Project

#1 Post by CombatEye »

Hey everyone. So let's say that you've got an idea for a new VN project, how do you get started? What do you think best way to get going or what's your own personal method?

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

Re: Best Way To Begin A Project

#2 Post by papillon »

Talking about it with a trusted friend, debating possible characters, outcomes, things that should or shouldn't be included, and so on. An idea is just an idea, it needs a lot before it can come close to a plan!

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#3 Post by lordcloudx »

My personal method actually varies with each project. In practice, I've always been able to work better (that is, more consistently and without frequent stoppage) on a project if I was inspired by the need to have a particular scene play out within the story -- said scene being my main motivation for writing the entire story.

To hit the figurative 2nd bird with this single stone, here's what I think is the best way not to start a project in a VN package.
http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com/2011/07 ... tival.html
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Heartful Memory

#4 Post by TsukiShima »

Well, if it's me, I'll write everything down, ideas, characters, plots, everything I can think of. And if you can draw, I'll try to visualize my characters, and the place where the story takes place.

After that comes to planning, you'll plan on how you going to go with this project. And if you need a team, recruit them with all the information you have. Take part as well. Plan well.

As for me, I like it we take it slow and steady. Or set a certain time to finish some few things. I do agree as well, motivation is important. Consistency is also important.

Then you go into the gaming system deeper, coding, arts, writing, until the progress is done.

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#5 Post by Sapphi »

Well... I am a person who needs an outline, but I never outline first thing. Instead the outline is preceded by gratuitous amounts of brainstorming, freewriting, and sketching. You might think sketching =/= developing a story, but... since my character design process is "Draw until I like it" and since I can't really envision things in my head until after I've drawn them, a lot of things pop up in the design phase that give me ideas for the story.

But yes, write all your ideas down, and then let them swirl around in your head for a loooong time. You will begin to think of additional ideas. Your original ideas will change and evolve. Some will be discarded in favor of better ones. But at any rate, a plot will surely form! Just best to let it mature before you dive into it, or halfway through the process of development you will be crying, "Ah, I realized a perfect idea for this story but now if I change it I'll half to rewrite tons of it!"
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#6 Post by Taleweaver »

The best way to begin is... to begin. As soon as you have an idea, put that down on paper, or start an empty text document and type out all that comes in mind regarding that idea... essentially, a brainstorming session. If your thoughts get concrete enough to write a dialogue, write that down. If characters pop up in your mind, record that. Just let it flow naturally in the beginning, and once that flow starts to run out, put some structure to what you have then and start filling the gaps.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Wright1000
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Finding A Murderer, Memory Loss, Crime Investigation, Stay away from the graveyard, Last Day at School, Lonesome, Email, Hired Gun, Dusk, Hired Gun 2, Man-at-arms, Hired Gun 3, The Phantom Caller, Street Girl, Free love, The Story of Isabel Claudia

#7 Post by Wright1000 »

Tomorrow never comes. NOW is always the best time to begin. You can look for co-workers later. But, first, begin working on your project. Think about the rest later. If you can't draw, find an artist. If you can't find one, use free resources.
He who doesn't care about the environment doesn't care about his grandchildren.

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope
Projects: Rising Angels
Organization: IDHAS Studios
IRC Nick: Komi
itch: idhas

#8 Post by KomiTsuku »

Normally I start a song about going on an adventure and start skipping around the room. Sometimes there are even cameos by other people. The budget for the special effects is kinda steep, but I want to set fireworks off inside, dang it!

And then I sit down and start working. I normally don't have a specific starting point, I just kind of putter around until I find a hook. Thankfully, I usually get inspiration during the whole song and dance part.

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

#9 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

I crank up a song, any song that has a bit of relation in my idea. Then that's where I start writing. Usually the ideas are inspired from a book, a song, an experience. Soul and Heart is inspired from my personal experience and a couple of novels I read that I liked.

Then, draft. Not essentially about the characters, I just write about the entire plot, then I do the characters, then the world they are in (if that's some sort of a different world from what is it now, like my WB and TSE). If there's anything confusing in it, I change if after rereading. Then usually that's where the tepid flow of ideas come to mind.

In case you feel lazy, still work on it while listening to your fave songs. You'll get your mood back.
Just an advice. |D