Low Esteem/Motivation (warning: contains some whining)

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
purple_pockets
Regular

Low Esteem/Motivation (warning: contains some whining)

#1 Post by purple_pockets »

Forgive me if this sounds really whiny... :cry:

I really, really want to make a visual novel of some sort, but every time I begin something stops me. Something like well, this is going to be just another waste of someone's time or I don't even know what I want to do...

I never know where to begin. I will often get an idea, and then feel totally hopeless because I think that it is probably super stupid. For example, a few days ago I posted a couple of ideas in the IDEAS DUMP section of this forum. I haven't gotten any feedback, which is to be expected, but doesn't really help my entire mood.

Does any one else ever have these problems? How do you get over it? Do you get some friends? Is it best to just do something really silly and never release it, just to get the feel for the genre? Thanks for letting me whine a little...
A teenager's favorite phrase:
No sé y no me importa.
Translation: I don't know and I don't care

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

Re: Low Esteem/Motivation (warning: contains some whining)

#2 Post by sake-bento »

There's actually a thread on a similar topic here (although it occurs to me that I should probably move it to this subforum).

jaypee_1
Regular

#3 Post by jaypee_1 »

Im pretty sure its much fun if you try doing a collaboration work or something ^_^ with other members here.

Chushiki Maho
Regular
Projects: X-Tasy, Teacher Pets, Virus
Organization: Infinite Scribbles Productions

#4 Post by Chushiki Maho »

Well, you should do a collab then. People have ideas, even if you don't, and I'm pretty sure lots of people wouldn't mind having a co-writer.

With me, I'm aiming to be an author, so I generally get lots of random ideas from everyday things. So what you can do is ask these questions and maybe you'll get a story:
1. What interests me in a plot?
2. What are some good names for characters? What personalities would go or not go with that name?
And so on. That's what I do. :D
X-Tasy - GXB (WIP)
~ My Fanfiction
Virus [NaNoRenO 2012]
French to English (or vice-versa) VN translator ~ PM me if interested :3

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

#5 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

Hm... Like the others said, collaboration could be good for you. You could try posting in the recruiting section asking for a partner or you could look through the recruiting section (I recall a good artist looking for a shoujo writer to collaborate with quite recently)

Addressing the part about the ideas dump: If you write up a bit more and create a WIP thread, you're more likely to get comments.
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

xSamChan
Regular

#6 Post by xSamChan »

I deal with it by thinking smaller; if I think that I can't handle an entire game or VN, then why not start with something short&simple to get you started?

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by SusanTheCat »

Remember to start small. A short project will give you an idea of what works for you and what doesn't.

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

ebi brain
Regular
Organization: Zettai Rookie Project

#8 Post by ebi brain »

I know where you're coming from.
It is really hard to get started once you have an idea but, if you keep telling yourself that it's going to be stupid or that nobody likes it and you'll be wasting someone's time.....
Then you'll never make a game :p

So here are some tips that seem to work for me:

1. Like everyone pretty much says, start small. Maybe even start very, very small, because, you can always let it grow once you've gained some more experience/confidence. (I wanted to make a visual novel of perhaps 4000 words, but now it seems that it will be one that is around 7000-8000 words)

2. Daydream about your story and its characters. Look at things happening around you, look at how people act around others and how they respond. Now try to put your own characters in those situations and see how they'd react. Make a mental note or, better, jot down any ideas that you think are really good ( and jot down the lesser ones as well as you can always turn them something into better).

3. Once you find an idea that you can use for your story, start writing... If you have trouble starting with an intro, just begin with some event that you'd like to use, you could even start at the end.

4. The moment you start doubting yourself or if you get stuck, ask a friend for advice or make a thread in the writing section and ask for feedback. Trust me, this really helps.

5. I wouldn't suggest doing something stupid and silly, because your heart won't be in it when you make it, which might end up discouraging you to finish it. I tried doing that and I never got very far with it.
Since I have our site RSI, I used speech recognition by, sometimes this means I'll make some mistakes. :D

My sketchbook - Come yell at me :D

Green Skies
Regular
Projects: Shoot The Moon (GXB Otome)
Organization: Green Skies

#9 Post by Green Skies »

Getting a partner really will help!
Just make sure its a person who is more motivated than you are, and won't give up on you.
I'd recommend someone you know in person. I complain to my partner all the time, and I'd gladly to the same in return.
She's my motivation! XD
Current Project: Shoot the Moon // Devblog

MusicaFate
Regular
Organization: Hime*Ko Productions

#10 Post by MusicaFate »

Well, I prefer people who have confidence in what they are doing...so first of all, write a story plot line and share it with your friends. If your friends like it, I'm sure many other people will enjoy it or at least a handful at Lemmasoft. You can recruit some people at Lemma or just your very own friends. I'm really shy in forums and sharing my ideas...so I don't really "share" them in fear, but just start by talking to your friends about your future "projects" and "ideas." That will boost your self-esteem... I hope...
Browse through a few recruitment forums if you really have low esteem in your own work and try to help others with their own works. Why? Because, I believe with experience, you'll find more confidence in your own work. I mean working under someone's wing isn't bad. If you screw up, you'll learn more and more from your mistakes. When the project is done, you'll have some guidelines and what to do and how to attract people towards your very own story.
^^ Good luck. I mean, everyone has to start out somewhere, better start now then never right? Even if you don't get noticed, the key thing is experience and the ability to enjoy what you are doing.~
Free Artist. :) PM ME ?~