Asking for opinions about a heroine....

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

Asking for opinions about a heroine....

#1 Post by OtomeWeekend »

Um, what do you think of a heroine in a GxB game who already have a child or is a single parent? Is it a downer? Interesting? or plain boring?

I really dunno why I'm even asking this but I just want to hear out the others/players opinions Dx

Thanks in advance for the replies(if they'd ever come).
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

Re: Asking for opinions about a heroine....

#2 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

That sounds interesting. The development of the relationship between the child and the pursued could allow for a lot of characterization. The child would also place a restriction on the girl, allowing for more interesting internal struggles.

I'm a guy though so... I'm not sure useful this is. (I don't play GxB) :lol:
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#3 Post by LVUER »

I don't know... it sounds interesting. In the end, it depends on your ability to pull it out. If it's switched around, we often meet a heroine with child/single parent in BxG games/VN. Single parent (especially if she's young) have her own kind of sexiness (or fetish if you want to call it so).
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Niki
Regular
Projects: Water's Edge
Organization: Etoranze

#4 Post by Niki »

This thread reminds me of the game Dear My Sun, where the heroine has to raise twins by herself after the father deserted them and fled overseas xD I never played it, but it looks really cute. (It's a stat-raising sim)

I think it's okay -- I mean, it's different from usual GXB games and that piques people's interest.
Image (devblog) || tumblr

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#5 Post by Sapphi »

Well, I know that there are a lot of young single mothers out there... not sure how many play visual novels, but I'm sure that for those that do, it would be nice to see themselves represented, as long as the representation was accurate. :)
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Fatelogic2nd
Projects: DreamscapE, L.U.S.T.
Organization: FateSoft Studios

#6 Post by Fatelogic2nd »

Being a single mother seems pretty interesting and contributing to many plot possibilities: "Who´s the biological father?" "Is he dead? Alive?" "If he´s alive, is he in good terms with his ex wife/ex couple? What about their son/daughter?" "Will the child accept the actual boyfriend of his/her mother as such?" "How much heed does the mother pays to her child´s oppinion regarding her new couple?" "The actual boyfriend accepts the idea of starting a relationship with a woman with such a strong bond with her past?" "How "liberal" or "conservative" are the characters in the story?"

I could keep giving plot twists and points of interest regarding this situation... which means that it´s indeed a very prolific issue, and it´ll contribute with many interesting possible consequences... if handled properly, of course ^^ I´d say... go with it ^^

sheetcakeghost
Veteran

#7 Post by sheetcakeghost »

You should never limit any character just because it mights be a downer. Even the MC. Any real element you can add is good, so long as it isn't overdone.

Celianna
Veteran

#8 Post by Celianna »

I personally wouldn't like it. I hate kids, so to me I'd turn the other way automatically.

But also because you're adding baggage to a GxB game. You know the reason why almost no one's parents are shown in-game? Because they're character baggage. They don't want to write about them, despite them being there - it's about the other, obtainable characters that really matter. Either the child will become an 'invisible parent' or a character that hogs screentime, which can become annoying - fast.
A GxB game about designing your own clothes.

ludeshka
Veteran
Completed: Hierofanía / Next Door Taker/Rhyme or Reason /Hierofanía 2
Projects: Hierofanía 3 (I swear it's the last one)
Tumblr: sillyraccoonknight
Deviantart: ludeshka
itch: ludeshka

#9 Post by ludeshka »

I like stoooooories.
I like them better when I haven't heard them before.
I haven't heard of a game like this. Sounds interesting.
So I'd like to play it.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#10 Post by LVUER »

@Celianna:
The reason why parents aren't there because they're not integral to the story. Why bother writing unimportant character? A burden both for the writer and readers. But if they're somehow important, they will be there. Lots of VN presents parents characters, some extensively although they're not among obtainable heroines/characters.

Yume Miru Kusuri is one excellent VN where the parents are there.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

YonYonYon
Veteran
Projects: Nightflower(Frozen), Reach the Starlight(WIP)

#11 Post by YonYonYon »

In the KoiGIG ~DEVIL+ANGEL~ parent\family characters played a really important role. If these characters weren't there, the whole story would be down the drain.

So everything is depends on how good the story is written. I hate kids too, but hey! the kids in the story aren't real kids. It would be interesting to watch how young mother solve her problems
ImageImage

PrivateEyes
Regular
Completed: House 666
Projects: Shattered Eternity

#12 Post by PrivateEyes »

Clannad, the family was a really important aspect
Why live if in the end, we all die? I guess to suffer? I really have no clue.....

Please visit my Youtube channel! :D http://www.youtube.com/user/YugiohGX913?feature=mhum

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#13 Post by gekiganwing »

Otome Weekend, if your main character in your GxB game is a single parent, then that opens up possibilities, such as...

* Finding love after a failed relationship.
* Life as an adult, versus life as a teenager. (Perhaps the main character was a teen mom, and now she's become a more mature person.)
* Life as a person who works full time. Being a parent and an employed person is never easy. Does she have any conflicts with bosses/employees/coworkers? Are any of these people going to be possible love interests?
* The MC's relationship with her own parents. Do they still get along? Is it a strained relationship?
* The MC's child acting as a sort of matchmaker. The kid might end up setting the mother up with her new husband.

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#14 Post by OtomeWeekend »

-The child will play a major role. He is not just some sort of baggage. Why add another load of work like his sprites, what he says and stuff if he's just a sort of non-existent major character?
-In this VN, my goal is to focus on issues concerning the heroine not the other party. We always see some emo guys about their ex and who already has a kid or has some super dramatic stuff, but what if it's on the heroine's side? Wouldn't that make a few changes and make a cliched scenario a bit interesting? It's not that only guys can have their first loves or ex-es right?

As for inspiration....I've been watching some k-dramas lately. I don't even want to bother why that became my inspiration :lol:

Really thank you for the replies :) I even got some helpful plot twists too :twisted:

...btw, here in Japan it is legitimate to get married and have a kid at 16. So i might make the heroine a young mom or sumthin :v

EDIT: Lol, this is my 888th post... just mentioning
Last edited by OtomeWeekend on Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#15 Post by Sapphi »

OtomeWeekend wrote: -In this VN, my goal is to focus on issues concerning the heroine not the other party. We always see some emo guys about their ex and who already has a kid or has some super dramatic stuff, but what if it's on the heroine's side? Wouldn't that make a few changes and make a cliched scenario a bit interesting? It's not that only guys can have their first loves or ex-es right?
I think it would be very interesting. Your obtainable characters could be men who have wildly different views about and experience with children. You know.. a friend who likes kids, a guy she likes who doesn't, the child's pediatrician (ZOMG PLEASE MAKE A PATH WITH A HANDSOME PEDIATRICIAN), a concerned teacher... etc. :mrgreen:
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬