game without backgrounds

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
fan1989
Projects: unnamed multipath gxb project.

game without backgrounds

#1 Post by fan1989 »

I am considering make my game without backgrounds to save time since I am now planning on doing watercolor and traditional inking for characters. I was original going to ink in tone in mangastudio but my tablet needs to be reinstalled so I decide it might be better to do it to traditionally since My photo software I was using for sizing has the colors all screwed up (probably from me trying to match the broken printer colors). The game is free I am just worried it wouldn't look finished without the backgrounds.

moxie
Regular

Re: game without backgrounds

#2 Post by moxie »

Backgrounds do add to the finished look. If you'd rather not make them, you can always find pre-made backgrounds.

http://bassnovel.com/select_materials.p ... m&p=0&key=
http://guttari8.sakura.ne.jp/youfuu000.html
http://translate.googleusercontent.com/ ... qme_s3cTVw

These are my favorite sites for backgrounds.

In the end, your VN is up to you to make, but if you put that much time and effort into your sprites and story, I think you might as well go a bit farther to make it look more polished.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by DaFool »

You can use some gradient or paper texture as a generic background that adds to the effect.

planktheory
Regular
itch: mykanthrope

#4 Post by planktheory »

If you're already working in watercolors, why not just do a few washes of various colors and use those for backgrounds?

Kura
Regular
Completed: Chasing the Sun
Projects: RESET

#5 Post by Kura »

If the setting isn't very important or there isn't much you actually need the backgrounds to show, then I wouldn't mind playing a game without backgrounds--especially if you do something simple but still nice to look at, like color washes. But it may be difficult to set the scene without distinct backgrounds, and some players will probably think it looks unfinished, so give it some thought.

Actually, I would be very interested to see a VN where different colors or abstract images are used as "background images" to convey mood instead of literal backgrounds.
Devblog :: Kura's VN Projects and Resources
Complete Chasing the Sun [a meditation on light] :: In Progress RESET [guilt, love, existentialism, and video games]

ebi brain
Regular
Organization: Zettai Rookie Project

#6 Post by ebi brain »

planktheory wrote:If you're already working in watercolors, why not just do a few washes of various colors and use those for backgrounds?
This is what I'd suggest as well.

It's not much of a visual novel, if there isn't any "visual" to look at ;) (granted that you are working on a visual novel right now).

Actually once I get that far, I'm planning on making backgrounds for my test game with watercolors.

There are a lot of tutorials/books on how to paint landscapes/buildings etc. so, instead of just washes you could even make some nice backgrounds like that :) (Also, I highly recommend Kazuo Oga, if you need any inspiration )
Since I have our site RSI, I used speech recognition by, sometimes this means I'll make some mistakes. :D

My sketchbook - Come yell at me :D

pinkmouse
Regular
Projects: A renpy beginner - test projects only atm

#7 Post by pinkmouse »

Visual novels tell the story partly through the text and dialog, and partly through pictures, so I'd argue that a VN with no images isn't a VN, in the same way that taking all the drawings out of a comic means that it's not a comic any more, it's a script.

Having said that, perhaps you'd find this tool for writing hypertext stories a better fit for what you want to do?http://felix.plesoianu.ro/pub/ramus3.html

The instructions for using it are here: http://notimetoplay.org/2011/06/11/hype ... ment-18305

Mickychi
Veteran
Projects: Current: Prologue: Caged Bird

#8 Post by Mickychi »

Hmm... In my opinion a game without some backgrounds that either set the mood or tell where you are, makes the game less appealing and won't attract my attention as much as one with bg. So if you want more people to play I suggest having some sort of bg's for visual appeal, even if there just a quick done up. After all just like pinkmouse said a VN without images isn't really a VN at all.
Check out my WIP Prologue: Caged Bird!