What is immersion?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
moxie
Regular

What is immersion?

#1 Post by moxie »

I've heard this term thrown around a lot in gaming circles. Being 'immersed" in the game is an important part of the game's success. But what makes up for an immersive experience, especially in a VN?

Is it the world? The characters? The music? The choices? The writing? Would the MC being a personality-less character help?

What helps you feel immersed in the game? And what does being immersed mean to you?

I'm curious to what people think about this, since this sounds like a very important part to the gaming experience.

I know for me personally, I like to feel like the world is real. Doesn't matter if it's fantasy or sci fi or slice of life, if the setting isn't believable, it's hard to get lost in the game if the back of my mind is constantly niggling that something isn't right.
I like my characters defined, especially the MC. I don't like spineless ninnies.

So, thoughts?

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: What is immersion?

#2 Post by DaFool »

Immersion is what happens when you forget about paying attention to the quality of the graphics, the music tracks, the writing, the programming, the interface and overall presentation. You see the work as a whole, and it sucks you in.

A skilled game maker can create immersion using off-the-shelf assets. Whereas an amateur game maker can commission the best skills out there, but once put together, something feels wrong, off, or not cohesive... the game will feel like a bunch of pictures, scripts, and sound files cobbled together. Sure, that's what a game technically is, but it shouldn't feel that way.

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

#3 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

Immersion is like the pinnacle of game play. It requires a peculiarly good blend of story, graphics, music, all that stuff.
What happens is you end up playing and forgetting about everything. Life, what's been bothering you, the time. You're essentially living the game.
You have to be able to relate to the MC. This is important: The main character don't have to be similar to you, but should be written well enough for you to understand and empathize with.
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

moxie
Regular

#4 Post by moxie »

Ahhh, all righty. Thanks.