A visual novel with metal music.

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Enigma
Veteran

A visual novel with metal music.

#1 Post by Enigma »

As implied by the title, I'm wondering if.
A. there are any like this here
B. it's just a turn off to most people
I myself love metal music, and the game I'm currently working on could probably pull it off. I don't expect say Katawa Shojo to have metal music, but from the VNs I've played, the music is all poppy and techno-y (though techno is pretty cool too). I was just wondering why metal music just seems to be missing.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

Re: A visual novel with metal music.

#2 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Background music should be ambient. Metal music is rarely ambient. If there are some that are (this will depend on what type of metal music you are talking about), sure go for it, but in general I would be skeptical as to how it would work while reading.

Van Knox
Regular

#3 Post by Van Knox »

For one thing, good(and cheap) metal music can be hard to find, so that's probably why. Metal music would probably work for a climactic scene without much trouble, assuming the writing itself is over the top enough. But it's probably not what you would want to use during less dramatic scenes, for obvious reasons.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#4 Post by LVUER »

Depending on the atmosphere/feeling you want to achieve with your VN or when the scene is in high tension. If it's a battle scene or something, I think it will be good. But if the whole game uses metal music (especially metal music that loud and noisy), I don't really know... you could try it though... who knows you cold pull it off.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Enigma
Veteran

#5 Post by Enigma »

I know you can't use it all the time, but yeah, for a more intense scene I think it fits very well. It also works for angry scenes. Of course a song like Rainbow in the Dark could probably be used in a wider variety than that. The reason I think I could pull it off is because the stories I tend to write have a lot of fight scenes as well as dramatic scenes. Also metal is a lot more varied than people think, compare this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Woe84AijdEU with this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZnfbd_BGw8 both belong to the same genre of power metal, and there are even more varieties than that.
Last edited by Enigma on Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Widget

#6 Post by Widget »

If it's not a romance VN.
let's say if you want to create a shounen/seinen story VN, why not?

Enigma
Veteran

#7 Post by Enigma »

Widget wrote:If it's not a romance VN.
let's say if you want to create a shounen/seinen story VN, why not?
Metal can be ROMANCE!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2DI0k9NOIc

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#8 Post by Fawn »

As long as it doesn't distract from the text, sure! I like more intense music myself :D

You can most likely find some free music to use on Jamendo. Here's a search for metal music that you can use in your project: http://www.jamendo.com/en/tag/metal?lic ... month_desc I can't guarantee the quality of the albums, but, one good quality album should do the trick.

Pugfarts
Regular
Projects: I Will Hold Your Hand

#9 Post by Pugfarts »

Something like dragonforce, maybe, but for me most metal would probably make it hard to concentrate on reading.

EDIT- Ohshit you were already linking to dragonforce! Highfive!

Enigma
Veteran

#10 Post by Enigma »

Pugfarts wrote:Something like dragonforce, maybe, but for me most metal would probably make it hard to concentrate on reading.
I actually plan on using more instrumental metal, which should solve the problem to some extent, anything with lyrics distracts me. However, most metal is a little...I'm not going to say wrong, but there is a huge variety. So far I've used Dio and Dragonforce, h=which are both power metal, there is an entire genre of more melodic metal music, though I've stated this before... Stairway to Heaven for example is considered metal, and it's a very relaxing tune http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKg4g9zMeHI

Edit: Also, I love Dragonforce too. Body Breakdown... just yeah.
@Fawn, thanks for the site. I wish I could get some of the songs in my head played, but I don't play guitar, and my knowledge of music theory is limited (I'm taking a class though).

@nd Edit: Holy! I can use some of this stuff commercially! Hell yeah!

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#11 Post by Sapphi »

GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!

Just try not to use metal with vocals, because like you said, it distracts the reader.
And hmm... just wondering, but have you noticed how lots of movies and shows (Hey, Evangelion) use classical music during really chaotic scenes? What if you used chaotic metal during really mundane scenes?
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Enigma
Veteran

#12 Post by Enigma »

I'm actually really stoked to make a game with metal music now, I liked a lot of those tracks on jamendo, and many of them have nice licenses (THE most important part of music)

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#13 Post by fleet »

It also would fit in well at scenes in a bar, rave party or at a heavy metal concert. You could also use instrumental heavy metal music (if the volume was set low) in a scene where two young folks are in a room hanging out (if the volume was set low it probably wouldn't distract from the text).
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.