NaNoReNo 2012

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

Re: NaNoReNo 2012

#31 Post by Mink »

*starts making outline/flow chart/thing*

*stares at it*

*FFFUUU-!*

Now I'm questioning whether or not I could finish this with its divergent paths, or if I should just make it a KN. /cop-out
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*

GeneDNC
Veteran
Completed: Freezing v1.0

#32 Post by GeneDNC »

I know I won't have time to finish my vn in one month, but I want to then dedicate March to at least finishing the writing (it's not a long project), which I've been putting off for a while now.

As an alternative, I'll also be looking for a group to join.
I don’t have anything really to show for it at the moment, but I should be able to handle the programming for a project that’s not too elaborate. I especially enjoy customising the GUI. If anyone wants me to join their team, they're welcome to PM me, but I'll be checking the recruitment section too.
To those posting in the recruitment section, I think it helps to specify NaNoRenO in your thread title for easy identification.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#33 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

We aren't going to make a WIP here since by it's nature it's spammy, short and we might not have enough time to take on a great deal of direct feedback (though we obviously welcome it and would love to hear opinons :D) We will be making updates here though. You can see what kind of thing we are going for and some (SUPER rough) sketches that we will be using once Thursday rolls around :)

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG

#34 Post by Mink »

If I separate the VN into short episodes, and complete the first one, does it still count as finishing NaNoReNo? >x>

*Website, yo*

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#35 Post by Taleweaver »

Mink wrote:If I separate the VN into short episodes, and complete the first one, does it still count as finishing NaNoReNo? >x>
Sure it does. As Yoda said, size matters not.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Takanashi
Regular

#36 Post by Takanashi »

Hm, I could go for a change of pace. It might be refreshing to work on a different setting for a month :)

Kura
Regular
Completed: Chasing the Sun
Projects: RESET

#37 Post by Kura »

Mink wrote:Now I'm questioning whether or not I could finish this with its divergent paths, or if I should just make it a KN. /cop-out
Seems to me that's the hard part about getting ready for NaNoRenO, figuring out an idea that can actually be done with a one-month scope. My and Caro's brainstorm process had its share of "Oh that's a good idea! ... if we could do it in a month."

I'm really excited to see what everybody gets going next month!
Devblog :: Kura's VN Projects and Resources
Complete Chasing the Sun [a meditation on light] :: In Progress RESET [guilt, love, existentialism, and video games]

silenteve
Veteran
Projects: Forgotten and Remembered, Scarecrow, I Will Be Waiting, Hidden in Spring, Juliette, L.O.S.E.R, The Sky Will Fall

#38 Post by silenteve »

I think you should start out with a main storyline. If you have extra time, add in whatever else you want to, but just start out with what you really need first. That's what I'm planning on doing with mine. ^^
My DeviantArt / Le Tumblr Development Blog
Current Projects:Forgotten and Remembered & Scarecrow
(Failed)NaNoReNo Project: Working on Hidden in Spring w/five lovely team members :D

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran

#39 Post by Mink »

Kura wrote:
Mink wrote:Now I'm questioning whether or not I could finish this with its divergent paths, or if I should just make it a KN. /cop-out
Seems to me that's the hard part about getting ready for NaNoRenO, figuring out an idea that can actually be done with a one-month scope. My and Caro's brainstorm process had its share of "Oh that's a good idea! ... if we could do it in a month."

I'm really excited to see what everybody gets going next month!
I'm just realizing this. I don't think the game as a whole is that long, but then I was like, "...I can't do all of this in a month."

Taleweaver wrote:
Mink wrote:If I separate the VN into short episodes, and complete the first one, does it still count as finishing NaNoReNo? >x>
Sure it does. As Yoda said, size matters not.
I now have a game plan.

*Website, yo*

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#40 Post by CheeryMoya »

... On second thought, I might actually have a decent idea that'll make for a short and powerful message. That is, if I can figure out how I want the GUI to look D: Everyone I've talked to has a little interest in it (must be the yandere end...), so even if I don't finish it in time, I'll finish it up another time.

Speaking of getting your entries on time, this is something LVUER said in this thread.
LVUER wrote:NaNoRenO is about making a (playable) VN in just one month. It doesn't have to be good (since it's just one month anyway) and it doesn't need to be completely finished/finalized... lots of people release buggy version and then revise it after NaNoRenO.
Yup yup. Take it or leave it, since completing a game by the end of March is part of the fun. Still, consider it as an option.

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran

#41 Post by Mink »

^I'm probably going to just do that, especially since what I want to do requires me programming something I've never programmed before. I will consider it as a learning experience.

On that note, I realized I like the story better if I take out what was originally another path, make it one, and just make it so the player has to get to the end without getting an early game over.

*Website, yo*

Carassaurat
Veteran

#42 Post by Carassaurat »

Newbie here, though I've been lurking for a while. I've been wanting to participate in NaNoRenO ever since playing Don't take it personally last year, so here's hoping it'll work out.

And, although it's technically against the rules of NaNoRenO as originally laid out, I've been working on sprites for a couple of weeks now; I figure that by doing of half the art the project needs in March, I'll still do as much work if not more than anyone scavenging resources from the Internet, so it's not an unfair advantage. Surely you don't mind, eh :) ?

Glasskitten
Regular
Completed: I confess to nothing! \(>o<)/

#43 Post by Glasskitten »

Ooh, NaNoRenO again? The Glasskitten is always so very tempted. It is even more tempted this year because it had already thought that it wishes to release something toward the beginning of April*. Unfortunately, all its internal barriers are still in place, with the additional barriers of all its useful art-making hardware getting lost/damaged, the idea in mind being not a ren'ai visual novel but a psychedelic Flash adventure/puzzle game about a furry** loli making friends, and lack of understanding of Flash games*** in general (especially without having the Flash IDE anymore). But maybe...maybe the nice artist who lives down the hall would help, since art is one of the most intimidating parts...except then she would have to be subjected to the Glasskitten's writing (and habit of injecting some form of zombies into absolutely everything regardless of genre)...and just because she's an artist doesn't necessarily mean she would be able and willing to work on a psychedelic puzzle...

*It's one of those designated theme months. Wanted to be topical...but I guess time synchronizing isn't that big a deal...
**A few years ago, a random guy came by the Lemma Soft forum and suggested someone make a furry visual novel. So a few weeks ago, I thought, "Okay!" then slowly realized my plotline wasn't conducive to a visual novel after all. But if I don't keep developing it, what am I going to do with all these fluffy characters? Other than maybe shave them and spin a ball of yarn...
***The funny part is that despite not being a visual novel or dating sim, this kind of structure would never have occurred to me if not for visual novels and dating sims.
Grand list of things not officially canceled:
Salt -- the heartwarming story of brain-eating space worms
Tangent -- an epic poem and/or novel about a borderline-autistic Martian imp and her relationship with God
Kittens of the Darned -- a grimdark soap opera about sexy catgirls (Indefinitely postponed until I learn to draw and color realistically)
The Other Mary -- the most perfect fic about the most perfect Mary Sue EVER
Rockheart -- a short story about a monster who kills everyone
Corrupted -- a completely different short story about a monster who kills everyone (late Worst Visual Novel Ever)
Checkpoint 36a -- the transcription of a short multi-ending dream about time travel and undead schoolgirls
In Which the Princess is Kidnapped -- an entry in the "ordinary girl ends up in an alien universe and tries to save it" genre
Pictogram Scramble: Magical Friendship Bunny Ivy -- a Flash game about a magical girl making friends (Indefinitely postponed until I learn how friendship works)

Anna
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Binary Soul, Days of the Divine, Nanolife, Firefly
Projects: current: Path of Dreamers
Organization: Circle Pegasi

#44 Post by Anna »

We're done planning too! Wrote the whole outline in a few hours on Thursday and I'm pretty satisfied with the results. Bring it on, March!
Mink wrote: On that note, I realized I like the story better if I take out what was originally another path, make it one, and just make it so the player has to get to the end without getting an early game over.
Nothing wrong with that, it makes the main story more interesting :)!

Capsy

#45 Post by Capsy »

Even though I joined this forum almost three months ago, I still haven't really made any progress on the project I've had in mind, so I think I'll be participating in NaNoReNo to get started with making VNs properly and getting my ideas further than the planning stage. I've decided on making a sort of prelude to my eventual main project - it's nothing too complicated but then again this is my first attempt at making a VN that I'm going to release, and I only have a month in which to do it. :P Even so, it's going to be a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to when March 1st rolls around! :D