NaNoReNo 2012

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Anna
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Binary Soul, Days of the Divine, Nanolife, Firefly
Projects: current: Path of Dreamers
Organization: Circle Pegasi

Re: NaNoReNo 2012

#121 Post by Anna »

Patty wrote:I'm absolutely nervous for the art in my project. XD The script's being proofread, so I need to get the main menu design done by Tuesday... And start on the art >O<

I estimate 5 sprites, 7+ BGs, and 5+ CGs. X_X
Your art is adorable! So go go, you can do it! /o/
Lumen_Astrum wrote:I'm done with the script on mine! Just a couple of edits and some additions here and there and I'm done >D
All I need are... CGs. X_X I "hired" a CG artist, but we have totally different schedules so I can't contact her.

I might be actually dome next week!
(If all goes well)
Wow! So you've got the GUI, the coding, the sprites, the BGs and the music done too?

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

#122 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Yeah XD A little edit here and there and the CGs and it's done :) But I have to borrow a laptop to do it because my computer's screwed as of late and messes with transparencies, so... it'll take a little more while. XDD

Finally contacted the CG artist! I'd get the CGs next week, so... Kudos for me. XD I'm so excited! :D

curry nochi rice
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Delicatessen, Whom to Notice, Start of Something, Love Sorcery
Organization: Circle Cosine
IRC Nick: Curry
itch: project-rothera

#123 Post by curry nochi rice »

Antarctic Games would like to join... or nah, we'll be forced to submit our game(if it does finish on time) on ze last day.
Personal (R-13) | Now at IndieDB | Circle Cosine's itch.io
I wanna be done.

Patty
Regular
Completed: Letters for You, Museum Adventure: The Ascension of Huks
Projects: Paradox

#124 Post by Patty »

Main Menu design done! :) 100 % focus on art now... A friend of mine's gonna look for music, so I'll be able to concentrate on drawing. OvO
Letters for You [KN] [NaNoRenO 2012] : http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 50&t=14271

Paradox [NaNoReNo 2013] WIP: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 50&t=19714

Museum Adventure: The Ascension of Huks http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 11&t=28476

GeneDNC
Veteran
Completed: Freezing v1.0

#125 Post by GeneDNC »

The script is basically finished at 3,988 words, hooray! I am getting some of my friends to proofread it. Now to tackle everything else. I am still a bit disappointed that I will need to end up using free sprites, but my recruitment thread's not getting any response and it's getting late in the month. Does that make me a vn-snob? :P Probably. Does it mean I want my vn to look as good as I can possibly make it? Definitely!

What is preferable:

1. 1 original sprite and other mismatched (in style) free ones

2. All matching free sprites

3. Being desperate and offering to pay a small fee for original sprites this late in the month?

I need 3 sprites and 1 optional side image, depending on time.

vociferocity
Regular
Projects: Rogue of Heart, Valkyrie

#126 Post by vociferocity »

@GeneDNC: have you had a look at tokudaya? one of the nanoreno projects "my angsty classmates" is using free resources from there, I believe, and they look really good!

GeneDNC
Veteran
Completed: Freezing v1.0

#127 Post by GeneDNC »

vociferocity wrote:@GeneDNC: have you had a look at tokudaya? one of the nanoreno projects "my angsty classmates" is using free resources from there, I believe, and they look really good!
I have actually. Their sprites are my backups at the moment in the "All matching free sprites" category, with probably some hair colour etc. edits. Thanks for the suggestion though. ^__^

Nellie
Veteran
Completed: Love Like No Other; a2 ~a due~
Projects: The Pirate Mermaid; Gamelicious!; Spiral Destiny
Organization: Navigame

#128 Post by Nellie »

How do you all write so fast? D=
Advice please!! T_T

My word count = 1950...
Target word count = 20,000... ... .... 10,000 xD

*kills myself*

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#129 Post by SusanTheCat »

Interesting article on how to write 10,000 words a day:
http://www.sfwa.org/2011/12/guest-post- ... rds-a-day/
Drastically increasing your words per day is actually pretty easy, all it takes is a shift in perspective and the ability to be honest with yourself (which is the hardest part). Because I’m a giant nerd, I ended up creating a metric, a triangle with three core requirements: Knowledge, Time, and Enthusiasm. Any one of these can noticeably boost your daily output, but all three together can turn you into a word machine. I never start writing these days unless I can hit all three.
Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

NickelBuckle9
Regular
Completed: MiniBot
Projects: Ah! Peku, Pokemon Trainer Game (untitled)

#130 Post by NickelBuckle9 »

I love sudden motivation ^_^

...all it took was a comfortable warm day with the windows open, some good music, and being sore and not wanting to move, haha.

Time to get some art done! Polishing all the rough sketches is my biggest roadblock right now, as most of the code is done. Let's do it!
Completed Projects:
* MiniBot *
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR6Ru9-vlic
(Check video details for download links)
http://nickel-buckle-9.deviantart.com/

Anna
Miko-Class Veteran

#131 Post by Anna »

SusanTheCat wrote:Interesting article on how to write 10,000 words a day:
Yup, that.

That article is basically a more stretched out way of saying what you need, which is simply:

1) plot your story before you write. Plan even the contents of your scenes.
2) Know when you write best and write at those hours.
3) Only write what you love/what you think is fun.

What also helps is:

4) place - write somewhere in a different environment with the least distractions
5) friends - tell them all about it and raise their curiosity, now you'll have to finish or disappoint them all.
6) work together with others, at the same time.
7) listen to music without lyrics, which fit the scene you're writing.
8) decide on a deadline and make someone keep you to it.

These work for me.

And on another note, designing GUIs is really interesting <3! But I'm still glad I can finally work on the title screen - this is so fun to draw~

Soli-chan
Projects: Starlocket, PAPER FACES, Avrilun, Halcyon Days, Macrumbia: Interlude of the Dreaming
Organization: s00t studi0s

#132 Post by Soli-chan »

You know, I really should have just camped out in this thread when March started because I was just thinking of the idea about then. Now I'm totally going to work myself into a grave. XD Funny how we all have that dying to finish these sort of mentality. And uh, just kidding. But it's the 14th and only now am I drawing/planning out my event tree. Feels like I just got ^that advice just now eheheh. I am a great big idiot but hello all~! Just want to write this and work alongside all the other people doing visual novels within the month.

Hmm stats, stats, that would be good to compare. Holy moly, thought I lost this post when my computer crashed. Glad to see that isn't the case. Anyhow, where was I? Oh yes. Since I'm doing this all alone I'll have to keep on fighting. It's too late! So let's just begin.

Story: 3%
Sprites: 1%
Scripting: 5%
Background: 0%

....Fight on everyone~! Do your best!

Nellie
Veteran

#133 Post by Nellie »

Anna wrote:
SusanTheCat wrote:Interesting article on how to write 10,000 words a day:
Yup, that.

That article is basically a more stretched out way of saying what you need, which is simply:

2) Know when you write best and write at those hours.
3) Only write what you love/what you think is fun.

What also helps is:

4) place - write somewhere in a different environment with the least distractions
5) friends - tell them all about it and raise their curiosity, now you'll have to finish or disappoint them all.
6) work together with others, at the same time.
7) listen to music without lyrics, which fit the scene you're writing.
8) decide on a deadline and make someone keep you to it.

These work for me.

And on another note, designing GUIs is really interesting <3! But I'm still glad I can finally work on the title screen - this is so fun to draw~
Thanks for the input/advice! Although...

Plot is done. Detailed scene summary is done. Event CGs have been sketched and some lined. Even checked on the medical details behind each injuries and treatment... Took me one night, 6k words for the summary... But the 'almost' 2k words of actual script took me over a week. And I still think find errors with it after few rounds of editing... T_T

2) Know when you write best and write at those hours. <--tick
3) Only write what you love/what you think is fun. <-- tick

Anna
Miko-Class Veteran

#134 Post by Anna »

Nellie wrote:Plot is done. Detailed scene summary is done. Event CGs have been sketched and some lined. Even checked on the medical details behind each injuries and treatment... Took me one night, 6k words for the summary... But the 'almost' 2k words of actual script took me over a week. And I still think find errors with it after few rounds of editing... T_T
Oh my, PLEASE don't edit your story until it's done! Forget about perfectionism and just write - edit it in one go after you're done. This is probably why it takes so long as well, that is if you edited it during the writing process of course ^^;. But yeah, try experimenting with some of the advice, maybe you'll find something which also works for you, especially deciding on a deadline if you're a perfectionist *raises hand*.

Nellie
Veteran

#135 Post by Nellie »

Advice noted. I'll try to just write then xD