How many options are too many?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
SpoilerDuck

Re: How many options are too many?

#16 Post by SpoilerDuck »

HigurashiKira wrote:
Anarchy wrote:In the Persona games, for example, dialogue options have no effect on the plot but can be used to customize character development. I don't think you can call that pointless, especially in such a character-driven medium like VNs.
May not affect plot, but it does affect how other characters react to you. Still, Im an advocate of "Storytelling over Gameplay" but I think I may be the only one
To be honest, I wouldn't call dialogue choices "gameplay". They are simply another form of storytelling, one more interactive. Interactivity and storytelling are not mutually exclusive.

I've seen some fantastic theatre productions in my time where the actors feed off audience involvement to further tell their story. It's all about exactly what story you want to tell and how best to go about it, and also where you particular strengths and interests as a writer lie.

HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: How many options are too many?

#17 Post by HigurashiKira »

SpoilerDuck wrote:
HigurashiKira wrote:
Anarchy wrote:In the Persona games, for example, dialogue options have no effect on the plot but can be used to customize character development. I don't think you can call that pointless, especially in such a character-driven medium like VNs.
May not affect plot, but it does affect how other characters react to you. Still, Im an advocate of "Storytelling over Gameplay" but I think I may be the only one
To be honest, I wouldn't call dialogue choices "gameplay". They are simply another form of storytelling, one more interactive. Interactivity and storytelling are not mutually exclusive.

I've seen some fantastic theatre productions in my time where the actors feed off audience involvement to further tell their story. It's all about exactly what story you want to tell and how best to go about it, and also where you particular strengths and interests as a writer lie.
Meh, to each their own. A lot of people these days have short attentionbspans so they generally prefer to have ANY kind of choice in the story. Personally, I think a choice should only be added if it will truly impact the story significantly. Alternate scenes are nice, but they never seem to add much IMO :/
I have moved to a new account. Please contact me here from now on. T/Y~