How long do you wait?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
sciencewarrior
Veteran
Projects: Valentine Square (writer) Spiral Destiny (programmer)

How long do you wait?

#1 Post by sciencewarrior »

The hosts of the Techzing podcast coined a term, "The Madness", to an effect that is probably familiar to most of you. Do you know that moment right after you have that absolutely fantastic idea, and you can hardly wait to start working on it? It can be the idea for the new Facebook, or an amazing motif for a new song, or an incredibly clever plot twist. And then the Madness slowly goes away, and you start noticing the flaws in your idea, or realize how much effort it will actually take.

Do you start your projects during The Madness to harness this initial jolt, or do you wait until you cool off a bit to make sure you know what you are getting into? How long do you wait?
Keep your script in your Dropbox folder.
It allows you to share files with your team, keeps backups of previous versions, and is ridiculously easy to use.

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: How long do you wait?

#2 Post by CheeryMoya »

Ideas gnaw at me everyday. What do I do?
I wait.
And wait.
And wait some more.
I wait upwards to about 2 weeks until I deem an idea worthy of my time. I let them ferment, I rip them apart while they are fresh, and I mock them till they look ridiculous. If I find too many flaws in the idea, I dismantle it and throw it back into that bubbling pot that's my mind. If it survives all that and still manages to look appealing, I expand on it.

That answer your question? ;)

misamane
Regular

#3 Post by misamane »

I jot a few things down, just so I don't forget it. And then if I carry on thinking about it for a few days, every time I do I'll jot a few more things down... eventually I decide whether it's good enough to keep or not. I never really throw anything away though, just incase it shows some sort of use later on in life.
Careful what you do, ‘cause God is watching your every move. Hold my hand in the dark street, for if you do I know that I’ll be safe. Even if I’m far away and alone, I can be sure that you’ll find me there, this I know. You draw me close for a while, so quiet. You tell me everything. If I forget what you say, then you’d come to me, and tell me again. Yes you’d tell me once again. But what happens when I know it all, then what should I do after that? What then?

Part of the huge LSF project: LemmaTV: Television that watches you!

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

#4 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

If I'm inspired, I'll start, but I won't make it public until I confirm that it's decent (a few days of thinking works for me, personally). At least, that's what I'm supposed to do.
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

saguaro
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Locked-In, Sunrise, The Censor
Organization: Lucky Special Games
itch: saguarofoo

#5 Post by saguaro »

I "marinate" on it for a while to see if the idea has legs or not. For a short story, I might sit on it for a few days. For larger projects, weeks or months.

Once I begin to think it might be a solid idea, I jot everything down in a notebook until I reach the point where I feel I have a good framework and enough material to start with. When I was younger I used to start projects immediately during the Madness and I've got lots of half-stories and first chapters sitting around on my hard drive as a result. Now I hold off until I have a good feel for the length--the longer it is, the more complete the framework has to be before I start working on it.

kaleidofish
Veteran
Completed: Tell Her a Story (Nano12), In This Dream of Ours, The Mishka Effect (Nano14), Saving Zoey (Asylum Jam 2014), Fairly Dangerous (Nano15), Palette Swap (Nano16)
Projects: see my site!
Organization: Kaleidofish Studios, Team ANARKY
Tumblr: kaleidofish
Deviantart: kaleidofish

#6 Post by kaleidofish »

I've got a whole list of visual novel and story ideas. Every time I get an idea, I write it down on whatever's available at the time (my laptop, a notebook during class, a napkin during lunch, my cellphone, etc). I like planning things out before I actually convert them into project form, though. I rarely start writing without outlining the story from beginning to end.

I've only got a few projects I'm working on at the moment. The rest are on the shelf until I'm ready for them. It's easier for me to focus on my current workload that way. I know that I'm building up my skills with every project I finish, so that some day I really can manage to work on some of my biggest ideas. Everything goes in steps. I'm enjoying the journey. :D
Redwood Crossing * THE MISHKA EFFECT [NaNo14] * PALETTE SWAP [NaNo16] * FAIRLY DANGEROUS [NaNo15] * Twitter

Visit kaleidofishstudios.com to learn more about what I'm working on.

Shoko
Regular
Soundcloud: shokomusic

#7 Post by Shoko »

I would love to start working on all the ideas I feel really work right at the moment, but most of the time i'm not a place to do so, so I jot it down so i can remember it later. Then of course, you figure out what's good by doing them all!

Gambit74
Regular

#8 Post by Gambit74 »

I usually just write it down somewhere and keep it as a reference. If I find it to still be appealing even after a week, I may find a way to work into my story somehow. If I can't, I just leave it alone for another project.
Nothing to see here, folks. For now, anyway...

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#9 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Like others have mentioned, usually I just write down all the notes and details, thoughts I immediately have on the idea, then add to those notes over the course of a few days. I then let that idea sit on the backburner, sometimes for months or years. If I have a particularly compelling addition to the idea, I'll open up the notes and add to them, then put it back away. I peruse my ideas folder once every few months, to read through all my notes again, changing or adding things as I see fit. It also reminds me of old ideas I may have forgotten.

I can usually feel when the idea is "ripe" by instinct. But what happens most of the time is that I will have two separate ideas that are stalled on their own, but when I add them both together suddenly everything 'clicks' and the two partial ideas form one vastly superior whole idea.

My most successful ideas are those that have germinated the longest. 3 years is a pretty good average on how long one sits ripening. I've got one that has sat for 13 years now. I've written four different versions of it, and it has changed tremendously each time. Who the main character is has changed, the plot has changed, even the setting! The core kernel of the idea is the only thing that remains the same. It's not 'ripe' though!

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions

#10 Post by Greeny »

I'm still waiting. I've been sitting on a few good ideas for a while now, one for a month, the other is an adaptation of a simple idea I had laat year (or was that two years ago?) but I really don't want to do anything concrete until I have my first project out there. I want to be sure that when I start it, I can finish it as well. Especially because I actually care about these ideas. My first project, complex and bloated as it is now, started out as an incredibly simple "test run" with little or no story whatsoever, and it's still not done.
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter

ffs_jay
Regular
Completed: HellBounders - Act 0
Projects: HellBounders series

#11 Post by ffs_jay »

I like to dive into it right away. I may not see it through to completion, but taking immediate action usually results in several other related concepts I find interesting, all of which tends to get fed back into future projects. My current project (and certainly the one I'm taking most seriously of any since I started) has the germs of several other failed ideas in there, as I realised ways to reintegrate those in ways that complemented the new game. It still mightn't get finished, but every time things iterate it feels like the foundations are getting stronger and stronger.

EDIT: I should add that this is fine for me as I largely work solo, but certainly isn't the way to go with any kind of team project.