Questions regarding Visual Novels on closed platforms

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
minigendo

Questions regarding Visual Novels on closed platforms

#1 Post by minigendo »

Greetings,

My apologies in advance if this is too similar to another topic, or in the wrong place. Also, I'm probably about to ask way too many questions, for which I apologize.

I wanted to ask what people's opinion was of visual novels on closed platforms: like Apple's appstore, Xbox Live's Indie Games, etc. From browsing through the forums, it sounds like they do exist, but that they tend to be either poorly translated or of low quality. Is that correct? Are there any that anyone would recommend?

Many closed platform app stores (although not all) place a limit on pricing. What sort of game length would you expect from a title that cost $5? Conversely, what sort of game length would you expect from a title that cost $1? In general, would you expect a mobile version of a game to be cheaper than a big box (PC or console system) version (Alternatively, Ipod vs Ipad).

To explain the seemingly random nature of my questions, while building a game for Xbox Live Indie Games, I developed what is essentially a Visual Novel Engine to handle conversations, cut scenes, etc. It's nothing terribly fancy (sort of the Blade engine + a few features), but having created it I'm obligated to feel some small sense of pride in it. Regardless, as I move forward with the other aspects of development, it occurred to me that there isn't any reason that I couldn't make a fully fledged visual novel with it. Thus, I'm looking into whether or not such a thing is even feasible.

Reading through the forums, I've seen estimate development costs in the low 3K range for even a simple and short game (which tend to exclude programmer time, but since I'd be the one programming, that works for me). Does that mesh with the accepted wisdom, or have I been reading forums too late into the night and gotten confused again? Alternatively, what about buying an existing project, even a free one, and throwing money at it? For example, funding could provide for voice work, or new art, or original music, or additional storylines / more choices. Is that something which has ever been tried? I know broadly that free indy games have had re-released special editions (Cave Story) for instance, but I don't know if it's been done for visual novels.

Regardless, I offer my thanks in advance for any thoughts people might have.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Questions regarding Visual Novels on closed platforms

#2 Post by DaFool »

I wanted to ask what people's opinion was of visual novels on closed platforms: like Apple's appstore, Xbox Live's Indie Games, etc. From browsing through the forums, it sounds like they do exist, but that they tend to be either poorly translated or of low quality. Is that correct? Are there any that anyone would recommend?
The Japanese ones tend to have poor translations, but I haven't really done more than just try their Lite versions. For Western VNs, the web and Android have a smattering of Ren'Py ports. On XBLIG, there's like one or two western ones but I forgot the name and it was in the "locked room with killer" genre.
I've seen estimate development costs in the low 3K range for even a simple and short game (which tend to exclude programmer time, but since I'd be the one programming, that works for me).
Hmmm, that was probably what someone estimated for Magical Boutique, something free done by two people with day jobs. If it were offered in the market looking for a sponsor, I guess that's roughly the amount that would be offered. That's really the only kind of game I can think that will fit well in the contemporary 99c category if it had better graphics.

If we're talking about medium length VNs with enough good graphics, I estimate we're talking about 5K-10K. And a game that has had 1000 sales at $15 would be considered a success.

Some people here have dished out well over 15K already for multiple projects over the years (in my case including an RPG with 3D models so it's understandable). I'm still waiting on my Unity programmer for a Floating Frame Director engine in Unity but he's really busy with clients who can actually pay the AAA dollars.

There are some groups that have the artist on board as a full co-producer, so being paid a pittance or only a profit share will definitely trim down development costs. You can make a sellable game for less than 1K but it'd have to be very good, if people won't complain how short it is. I however tend to want to pay people outright for full Copyright ownership to prevent complications in the future (such as being free to take the IP anywhere I want should it stick).

I'd take you up on your offer as long as it also includes the role of publisher on XBLIG (Me not having Xbox 360 and Indie Games channel not being offered in most countries that do have Xbox). Sometimes it's not the implementation, but more the connections and getting ones foot in the door.

But as is usually the case, it takes years to finish a massive project that would necessitate that effort onto getting in closed platforms.

minigendo

Re: Questions regarding Visual Novels on closed platforms

#3 Post by minigendo »

My thanks for your response. It prompted some research that has been instructive, to say the least.

Taking a cue from your comments, and using the vndb, I was able to find a few examples on the XBLIG. Unfortunately, and perhaps unsurprisingly, they haven't sold phenomenally well. Considering the low average return on a XBLIG game ($3.8k), even the relatively modest development costs of $3k really aren't that cost effective, especially if there was to be some sort of revenue sharing. Now XNA games (the platform used to run XBLIG) can be ported to PC, where they might have better success, but are more vulnerable to piracy. However, considering that the PC would be the major revenue source, and other better engines exist for the PC platform, it's probably not worth it.

The Apple store has several examples of the genre, but none of them seem to be tearing up the charts, as it were. Still, given the much greater popularity of the platform, there might be something worthwhile there. I don't have the resources on hand (a recent mac computer) to port my engine over to it though.

On an unrelated note, I suppose, given what I've said about the potential success of XBLIG games, I should probably reconsider my ongoing project for it which will use the the engine, but I really do want to make a console game, and it offers me that chance in a relatively cost effective way.

Regardless, my thanks again for your response. You've been most helpful.