Tips on Learning RenPy for a Total Newb

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Coming Out On Top

Tips on Learning RenPy for a Total Newb

#1 Post by Obscura »

Given that my Python knowledge is sorely lacking, what is the best way to learn RenPy?

Should I just try to continuing building a small game from the bits and pieces I can pull from the tutorials on the RenPy site? Or should I dive into learning Python (I've heard "Learning Python the Hard Way" has a good tutorial.) Or do both at the same time?

Any suggestions from you lovely people will be appreciated!
Coming Out On Top - An Adult Gay Dating Sim
website

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

Re: Tips on Learning RenPy for a Total Newb

#2 Post by Samu-kun »

Don't worry, there's no need to learn any Python to use renpy.

This tutorial comes highly recommended.

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =8&t=13539

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran

#3 Post by Obscura »

Thanks--I've glanced at that link and now realize I should look at it more thoroughly.

The reason I'm asking is because I'll see stuff like "init" and "$" and not understand why they are there, just that they need to be part of the code. I feel like this is basic stuff I should understand if use Ren'Py. Or maybe not?
website

Anima
Veteran
Completed: Loren
Projects: PS2

#4 Post by Anima »

Yes, but your examples are Ren'Py code. They have nothing to do with Python.

The code inside an init block is executed every time the game launches. It's main purpose is defining things that do not change during the game.
A line beginning with a $ is a single python line. You can use a python: block for several lines.
Most of the time you need a python line to assign a variables value.

Code: Select all

# One line version
$ ending_1 = True

# Block version
python:
    ending_1 = True
    ending_2 = True
Avatar created with this deviation by Crysa
Currently working on:
  • Winterwolves "Planet Stronghold 2" - RPG Framework: Phase III

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#5 Post by nyaatrap »

I started learning both ren'py and python at the same time and it worked efficiently. I think learning only ren'py is rather difficult to understand the ren'py code.

asciibard
Regular

#6 Post by asciibard »

I just made my first Ren'Py projects last night. Here's how I did it.

I ran the Ren'Py launcher and leafed through the first couple of sections in the tutorial to learn the basics. I also read through the Quickstart tutorial a couple of times, usually looking at the code examples first and then skipping back to read what they mean.

After this I realized I was still interested in pursuing this hobby so I downloaded Notepad++ (only works on Windows, I believe) and associated it with .rpy files. I use Notepad++ as my editor.

Finally, I created a new project in the Ren'Py launcher and created my first test game line-by-line while reading every word of the tutorial. Every few lines of code I saved the file and ran the game, noting the error messages and fixing my errors. I had to wrap my head around the concepts of indentation (how many spaces to put in front of lines of code based on the context) and syntax (what commands to use, when, and how) but I learned by trying, failing, iterating, and finally succeeding. My first project is about 70 lines of code and took me around 2.5 hours to get working bug-free and to my satisfaction.

I hope this helps. Learning a programming language is like learning any language - you can't afford to take it personally when a native speaker (like the Ren'Py compiler) listens to your attempts, smiles at you with an eyeroll, and tries to help you correct your own mistakes.

Kitten the Cat
Regular
Projects: The Onigami House [NaNo12], Beyond the Veil [NaNo14]
Organization: Riceball Games

#7 Post by Kitten the Cat »

C# programmer here - I found it difficult to learn Python by itself without trying to clear my brain of C# stuff. Learning Ren'Py first helped loads.

Therefore I just started with the tutorials and dove into creating a simple VN straight. Once I was comfortable with the Ren'Py syntax, I tried to see if I could implement the special gameplay I wanted to do in the game, and did the relevant Python research in conjunction with it. I'm still no Python expert - I keep forgetting how to do the simple stuff - but learning Ren'Py has made me more comfortable in using it. Heck when I go to my day job I forget to type semicolons now -_-
Currently working on Beyond the Veil, our NaNoRenO '14 entry.

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Obscura »

Thank you for the feedback, all. I guess one of the problems I've had is not getting confused when different tutorials use alternate methods to get things done. But the advice here is encouraging!
website