Hasty, but done! (Project Journeys OUT!)

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Heiwa

#16 Post by Heiwa »

Hrm. Tried to get the demo working but COMDLG32.OCX is missing/not registered when I try to start it.

Unless I miss my guess that's a file you get with Visual Basic or whatnot installed.

Ah yes and the starting screen takes on the appearance of whatever window you open up in front of it.

This is on XP Pro, btw.

pikatung too lazy to sign

#17 Post by pikatung too lazy to sign »

http://activex.microsoft.com/controls/vb5/comdlg32.cab

put those files in your .../windows/system folder and it should fix it...though I cannot be certain...but make sure to back up anything it might overwrite

pikatung

#18 Post by pikatung »

Sorry, thats actually an outdated version. The download this and copy it to your windows/system or windows/system32 folder... (I'm assuming it was programmed under VB6)

http://dynfiles.no-ip.info/cgi-bin/dlf. ... mdlg32.ocx

more infomation on why that error occurs here...

http://www.snapfiles.com/help/missingfiles.html

And if that doesn't work, here is a excellent listing and download source of pretty much every .dll and .ocx you'll ever need

http://www.dynamiclink.nl/frames/ocx.htm

Yang Sei Fu (@school)

Thanks!

#19 Post by Yang Sei Fu (@school) »

Thank you for solving this tech problem for me! (hugs)

Yang Sei Fu
Regular

#20 Post by Yang Sei Fu »

The demo ALPHA (The testing version of the demo) is out. Several bugs known.
Known bugs List (for v. 0.1, w. updates rev. 0.2):

- Music is not in game (not implemented)
- Save/Load/Option/"Omake" not clickable (not implemented)
- No keyboard controls (Enter, space, CTRL skip keys)
- Right click (ALL, including above not yet implemented)
- Transitions nowhere to be seen? (not implemented)
- Translucency not yet implemented

Developer's Extended List
- Charas wiped as BG changes
- Command "CLS" does not work.
- Text cannot be seen if system "text" color set as white (needs to be defined)

Fixed List
- Choosing "I'll go with Sarina/Yuki" (Carol/Ei's line) causes a missing char crash (FIXED)
- Minor crashes regarding BGs (FIXED)
- Names aren't displaying (except Teacher and students) (FIXED)
- Grammar (and spelling?) mistakes (FIXED?)
- Some characters are awkwardly positioned (FIXED)
V.0.2, hopefully the 2nd last release before the official DEMO release (later to expand to the BIG game itself)
=/| ClearWind Design Studios |\=

Grey
Veteran

#21 Post by Grey »

Well, you've fixed the blush.jtp runtime error, but the normal.jtp one which I mentioned in my last post on version 1 is still not there, and so you still can't get to the end of that route without fiddling around with the image files...

Did you actually do any testing of this before its release? I wouldn't release anything that I knew gave runtime errors, especially when the problem is so easily fixed by just copying an image file and renaming it, even if it isn't the way the graphic will look in the end product.

But anyway the dialog seems a lot better now the identifiers are there, except now some text seems to overflow onto the border of the box?

Normally I don't really see spelling mistakes, but there's one glaring one I noticed on my first run-through, 'With record-breaking efficaty I found my name'. I think you meant 'efficiency' there. There are also still a few unneccesary (thinking) comments, which don't really need to be there now it's obvious when someone is talking and when they aren't.

Still congratulations, the route with the Carol option works perfectly now...

Yang Sei Fu
Regular

#22 Post by Yang Sei Fu »

Actually, it was intended to be spelt "efficacy", search it up the dictionary. It is similar in meaning to "efficiency", but it's a more "indirect" (cold) term, usually used to describe machines.

Shou is a machine ...(chill)

Thank you for informing me about the need to add a "normal.jtp". It would be fixed immediately. Hopefully by next release we can actually EXPAND this story a little further (depends whether or not the artist could get us the CG events in)

Grey
Veteran

#23 Post by Grey »

Well, I did look it up in a dictionary and it wasn't there :roll: -_-; Guess I'll look in a bigger dictionary next time.

Yang Sei Fu
Regular

#24 Post by Yang Sei Fu »

Version 0.3 is up, and most of the problems in the buglist shown above are GONE!

New features:
Music
Right click
CTRL skip (the demo is so short you probably would want to read it anyway)
New interface (that looks a heck lot better)

Go to the site and get it!
http://ClearWind.web1000.com or http://cwds.hp.infoseek.co.jp !!!

Grey
Veteran

#25 Post by Grey »

And new bugs. Why don't you test these demos before releasing one after another???

On 'the teachers face recovered from the lion roar' Jyun appears twice, once behing Carol. THe same thing happens if choosing Sarina in the question.

When asking the question the text 'who should I etc' appears on top of the box.

Going along the Sarina option route I get a run-time error 5.

Now for gods sake, do NOT release another demo without testing the thing yourself, as you seem to have done the last 3 times. If you have done so, and found 'known problems' in it then don't just go ahead and release it anyway!

I'm sorry for my tone, but I honestly can't believe this is the 3rd time you've released a demo with a severe flaw in it, and your goal is actually marketing this game profesionally.

Yang Sei Fu
Regular

#26 Post by Yang Sei Fu »

This error has already been caught before your post. Just notified MT but not here, sorry.

The version has been deemed UNSTABLE on the mirror site, and now declaring it on main site (the main site FTP blocked me)

Grey
Veteran

#27 Post by Grey »

Yang Sei Fu wrote:This error has already been caught before your post. Just notified MT but not here, sorry.

The version has been deemed UNSTABLE on the mirror site, and now declaring it on main site (the main site FTP blocked me)
*sigh* Did you read beyond the 1st line of my post, or just ignore it because it was critisising your methods?

To summarise, the bug should have been 'caught' before you even uploaded it in the 1st place.

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#28 Post by rioka »

Hi Yang Sei Fu. I checked out your demo and it worked fine for me overall. I overlooked the typos as this is only a demo...

Just a few comments on the backgrounds. Some of the lines doesn't look right perspective-wise. It's like there are several vanhishing points that's making it look crooked. The scene that comes to mind especially is the main character's room. The drawers could use a bit of touching up.

All in all, the beginning is nicely done including the title screen. The music is a plus and sounds good too. The character art is well done and all in all, the backgrounds are nice with lots of details. It would be nice once everythings colored. :)

Yang Sei Fu
Regular

#29 Post by Yang Sei Fu »

eclipse wrote:Hi Yang Sei Fu. I checked out your demo and it worked fine for me overall. I overlooked the typos as this is only a demo...
Uhh...what typos? I'm sure that "efficacy" is a word...
Just a few comments on the backgrounds. Some of the lines doesn't look right perspective-wise. It's like there are several vanhishing points that's making it look crooked. The scene that comes to mind especially is the main character's room. The drawers could use a bit of touching up.
The great works of oi, the great Satsuki Shizuka, who failed Gr.8 art horribly...
If somebody with a better art sense could draw these, it would help A Lot.
After all, I can only do some CG.
All in all, the beginning is nicely done including the title screen. The music is a plus and sounds good too. The character art is well done and all in all, the backgrounds are nice with lots of details. It would be nice once everythings colored. :)
The title screen is my wrk. Without the cmputer I just can't get it right...LOL.
BG with details...that's my perfectionist side at work. The fan stuff on ost American forums are unbearable.
Everything coloured...then get me a clourist who can colour like Sorairo no Organ or CANVAS (1 and 2)!!!!111XD

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#30 Post by rioka »

Uhhh...
1) I didn't specify "efficacy". You're still hung on that huh?
2) I could swear I saw another typo... Must check again...
3) As for the backgrounds, all you need to do is set up a horizon line, a vanishing point, and drawing the backgrounds would be a cinch for you - you already did a pretty good job already with just a few fixing up.
4) Well, I can get you in touch with some people who's into drawing and coloring but you'll have to see which one will be willing to help. Stop on over to my forum: MT.com Forum. Artists here vary from beginner to intermediate. No membership needed to post - Guest posts are okay.
There's another forum I know of which has more advanced artists but they're mostly doing their own projects already so there's slim chance of them helping... ^^;;