Writing, Art, Or Coding...What Do You Find the Hardest?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Crocosquirrel
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mobile Food Madness, Super Otome Quest
Projects: Academy Daze
Organization: Polymorphic Games

Re: Writing, Art, Or Coding...What Do You Find the Hardest?

#46 Post by Crocosquirrel »

I can't draw to save my life. I can code, but I much prefer to write. Drawing is a skill that I tried catching years ago, and never quite achieved critical mass. I love to write, though :)
I'm going to get off my soap-box now, and let you get back to your day.

Academy Daze- Back in production! Complete with ecchi-ness ;)

Syren

#47 Post by Syren »

Hardest...I think coding for me, but I never really touched the subject, so I can't say it's 'hard' until I actually try it. At the moment, I find drawing much harder than writing as drawing...well, it's not something that I can just make up on the spot and to be able to post it in the internet with confidence. Writing is a different matter...even if I haven't been doing it my whole life. I just find it easy.

Green Skies
Regular
Projects: Shoot The Moon (GXB Otome)
Organization: Green Skies

#48 Post by Green Skies »

Coding for sure. No matter how many times I read through things like the cookbook, it never really sticks so I really admire the people who can make shiny GUIs and effects @_@
Current Project: Shoot the Moon // Devblog

Egressus
Veteran
Projects: Things Not Seen

#49 Post by Egressus »

Umm, coding. I can understand the cookbook but the understanding never really sticks, so I'm always reduced to remembering where I found the code and searching it out again. How do you guys do itttt??

Writing... Well, I understand the basics, and I like writing, but I'm probably not good at it. But it's not hard per se. Since I do everything, I have to play the game myself to see how nicely the art and interface blends, and sometimes I have to test the menus to see if they work, so some grammatical or spelling mistakes are caught. Plots are rarely something that concerns me, too, since I always have a time line to help me advance.

As for drawing, it's a therapeutic break from all the writing branches... until you find yourself redrawing the sprites twice. Needless to say, I learned my lesson on not barging ahead and think things through.
Hiatus of hiatuses

RunicV
Veteran
IRC Nick: RunicV

#50 Post by RunicV »

Coding. Definitely coding.

But then again, perhaps that's just because I only started learning how to make VNs and do coding, like, a month ago. I'm pretty sure I'll get a hang of it, eventually, someday, somehow. But in the meantime I HATE coding. So difficult. -3-

I've been writing and drawing ever since... Really young. From the time I could pick up a pencil, thereabouts? My first drawing consisted of stick men with lots of hair and fingers and legs. A few years back, I used to have no life and read books like crazy, so I'm decent in writing.

Music also stumps me. oAo I have no musical education yet, so composing is out of my league. I hum a few tunes every now and then, but other than that, I'm terrible at composing, I think.

So for me, coding and music. ^_^
Hatred: the absence of love.
Please, treat me with kindness.

Kuroneko_rg
Veteran
Projects: Dark Pleasures, Kiss of Blood, Midnight Park
Organization: Black Cat Alleyway

#51 Post by Kuroneko_rg »

Definitely drawing. I have no mayor problems with writing, and coding hasn't given me any hard time (Yet...) but drawing is very time
and energy consuming, specially when it comes to backgrounds.

Music is also a big concern to me. I've been screwing around with some composing programs but I don't have much confidence in my
skills as a composer.

KalaCansado
Regular
Projects: The Feast of Glass

#52 Post by KalaCansado »

I think it is writing....
writing is different from drawing, more difficult to tell the people what you really want to say, if there's something wrong like typing mistake, it can totally become a mistake or make people didn't get what you are saying, also it is hard to make the reader feel about your emotion at the same time.
But same with drawing, many people have different taste for it, but drawing can easier to make people having a look for it, but writing are more difficult.
Coding can be learned by asking, guessing and trying, drawing can be improve from time to time.
But writing really needs skills and double checking.

Although actually I really love them doing them all, it is fun and makes me feel success when I finished all..^^
But in conclusion, writing is the hardest for me :(

Destiny
Veteran
Projects: Cards of Destiny, Sky Eye

#53 Post by Destiny »

Who has watched the Questions and Announcment-Section a bit can see that I'm posting there inside a thread at regular basic.
And no, I'm not the one helping :'D
Even though I worked with Ruby for around 2 years and even are a fast learner...script language is just not doing it for me.
Some stuff I can memorize and use myself, some stuff I can copy, but everything that gets a bit more special is just making by brain melt.
Which is kind of embaressing, since I'm studying languages (as a germanistic scientist you constantly compare features of german with other languages) and still the script LANGUAGE is all bla bla bla to me...

Music too.
I can sing, I'm learning the piano, but making my own music?
Dear god, bury me now before I embaress myself...
So Jamendo and other free music websides will have to do it for me.

Writing is ok, I'm used to it as having written some short novels myself and also being the leader of an autobiographic novel course at my university (even though I never wrote one xD).
Even got a place in a course from some famous german journalist about writing intense short storys once ;)

And well...
I'm an art and music student, so... art is of course a piece of cake (and - oddly enough - music isn't, so no selfmade music xDDD).
112 character pictures -> finished after three days.
93 CGs ->the first quarter is ready, the rest will soon be.
22 backgrounds -> the samples are all found, so doing them will also be done fast (even though I'm kind of weak with architecture)
I'm even going to insert two video sequences which will be hand drawn. Talk about making more work then needed xD
Cards of Destiny (WIP) / Sky Eye (WIP)

Kuroneko_rg
Veteran

#54 Post by Kuroneko_rg »

Seriously!? 112 character pictures in 3 days? I suddenly feel so lowly skilled...

Destiny
Veteran

#55 Post by Destiny »

Kuroneko_rg wrote:Seriously!? 112 character pictures in 3 days? I suddenly feel so lowly skilled...
It's not that impossible.
Except you think that these character pictures are all totally different.
There are 7 main characters with 8 poses each. These 8 poses can be put in three groups. Inside this group the poses resemble each other strongly (just another expression on the face or moving the head/a arm to another direction). So lets say, there are around 60 pictures for all characters, multiplied with some variations.
But yeah, I'm kind of fast, thats where drawing mangas everyday (around 4 pages per day) pays really off, I'm fast as a devil when it comes to coloring pictures (I made an full animated, hand drawn video parody of Azumanga Daioh in one month) xD
But there are other people that are either faster or better in painting then I am, so don't worry. There are ALWAYS people to be better (which I see as a challenge to get where they are >:3)

Kuroneko_rg
Veteran

#56 Post by Kuroneko_rg »

Destiny.
Even if they are variations of a single sprite you are damn fast. It takes me lot of effort and time to draw (my avatar's quality is the most I can achieve). Also, I'm pretty much blind in color, making me feel very confused at the time of painting. I used to draw and paint better in black and white, but of course, I just need to go on practicing in color.
Background art is my weak point. I honestly can't tell how I'll deal with it when the time to draw it comes.

curry nochi rice
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Delicatessen, Whom to Notice, Start of Something, Love Sorcery
Organization: Circle Cosine
IRC Nick: Curry
itch: project-rothera

#57 Post by curry nochi rice »

Art..

cause it's a pain in the ass to find good artists... even more painful for looking free and quality art.
even learning it right now is a pain...

everyone can right, script and program... it's really easy to learn...

ART... INVOLVES NOT TYPING AND WORDS, BUT STROKES... A DIFFERENT THING FROM THE USUAL KEYBASHING.
Personal (R-13) | Now at IndieDB | Circle Cosine's itch.io
I wanna be done.

Darkmoonfire
Regular
Completed: Christmas Project
Organization: Lunarescent Wings
Tumblr: darkmoonfire

#58 Post by Darkmoonfire »

curry nochi rice wrote: everyone can right, script and program... it's really easy to learn...

ART... INVOLVES NOT TYPING AND WORDS, BUT STROKES... A DIFFERENT THING FROM THE USUAL KEYBASHING.
Sure maybe everyone can right, but not everyone can write well. Writing and programing is not just keybashing, there's a lot of thought behind everything. Getting good and writing takes as much effort and practice as getting good at art.

I think that of writing, art, and programing, programing would be probably be the easiest because what constitutes as good art and writing is a lot more subjective than what constitutes as good programing.

Destiny
Veteran

#59 Post by Destiny »

I don't think there is something like "A is easier then C" ôo
Joseph Beuys once said "Everyone can make art". He never meant it in the way that everyone can become a fabulous painter or something but can create stuff and make the world change with what he will produce.
But not everyone is talented in the same ways.
I seem to have a talent for art, because I started extremly early and have done it all my life.
Writing came somewhat natural with around 13/14 to me.
Skripting is only since 2 years something I'm interested in.

So, of course, when I hear something new about art I would be able to use it fast since I am already good at it while a new thing with scripts would tell me nothing.

Different for someone who disassemblied his computer with 10. He will be interested in computer and as such in scripts with a fairly bigger chance then a kid growing up like me.
Same for kids that had enjoyed writing very early.

I mean, making strokes with a pencil is the easiest thing in the world for me.
But reading a script, let alone writing one, is like a journey to hell and back for me.
And for others it's just the other way. It's not that simple to say "You have to only use a keyboard, so it's easy".
I mean, I saw grown up guys cry when they failed after a two hour seminar in programming to create a small christmas tree through script. If it is that simple then it wouldn't be so hard obviously.
It's also not that easy to learn. Some people can't think abstract and as such have problems remembering what the difference is between call and jump because it seemingly does the same thing.
I myself can speak four languages still that damn script language is giving me severe headaches.

You seem to find it easy, but art hard. Even though art is a normal craft that can be learned the same way you can learn to be a carpender, a baker or a electrician. I mean, for a little history side note, back in 16 Jh, creating paintings that look almost photorealisic weren't something special because if you had enough money, you could just go to Famous Artist A and ask to be his apprentice. He would teach you and in the end, you could do it too.
They are very identical, you see.

Same with writing, back to the time before Goethe, every kid had to learn the craft of poetry in school (in germany at least). The rules for a good poem were strict and if followed correctly, a poem would come out. And looking at today there are still workshops just in this way (I mean, I'm teaching interested students about autobiographic writing, I know by experience).
You can learn everything and the more your interested in it, the easier it gets.

It's only the attitude that makes it easy or hard to be good at something.
I like art so it is easy.
I get confused by scripts, dislike them a bit because of them and have it hard as a result.

You find scripts very easy, probably because you are interested in computers in general.
You never really had a thing for art though I guess, so you find it hard.
Thats all.

gf11221
Projects: The Symbol - Chronicles

#60 Post by gf11221 »

For Visual Novels, the hardest was Writing since it is the most dominant among the graphics and coding needs in development and in-play.